6.5 Grendel stove piping.

when you drive over a bridge that has water in it, chunk the ASC mags out the window. the 2 ASC mags I bought are crap. others have complained about bad spot welds and piss poor build quality. check if PRI makes a grendel mag. in the SPC they are night and day better than ASC

Check the ejector spring for power and free movement on the ejection pin. Examine your extractor to make sure it's good. It may well need a new spring there.

I run well over a dozen of those with no issue. I guess I'm special compared to some here.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GLShooterCheck the ejector spring for power and free movement on the ejection pin. Examine your extractor to make sure it's good. It may well need a new spring there.

I run well over a dozen of those with no issue. I guess I'm special compared to some here.

Greg

Same here... I have about 10 each in 6.5 and 6.8 with zero issues. I'm using a mix of the 5-round and 10-round magazines...

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: GLShooterCheck the ejector spring for power and free movement on the ejection pin. Examine your extractor to make sure it's good. It may well need a new spring there.

Greg

Same here... I have about 10 each in 6.5 and 6.8 with zero issues. I'm using a mix of the 5-round and 10-round magazines...

The nice thing for me is that all the 6.8 based cases I shoot run 100% out of the 6.5 magazines too. That really saved me the hassle of swapping back and forth. I also got some of the 7.62X39's from them that run perfectly as do all my LONG stainless 223's from them.

I purchased some 450 Bushmaster followers from them also to use in my Bushy and they run my SOCOM's well in a standard magazine. In fact the single stack follower is ideal as a SLD for loading long and shooting matches. That trough is perfect.

Greg

No, not legal in the communistic state of Ill. The corrupt Chicago polititions still think Al Capone is still around. Stove pipe issues have been corrected

Last edited:

In different magazines, I have placed rails inside the magazines that hit the shoulders of the rounds.
That way the bullet tips never hit the magazine. It is an old trick.
It is done on heavy recoil rifles even in just plain bolt action rifles.
You cut a magazine apart and bend a rail or rails to fit.
Then, in a new magazine I silver solder them in place.
The easiest ones to do are the 5 round AR magazines. I do not do them any more.
I do not have insurance.

Being that the 6.5 is a fat bottom girl, that is the case has such a big diameter, sometimes if their timing is not just right, they can bounce on the ejection port and get trapped.

On your next range run, try to get some slo-mo with a camera or a phone and you can get a better idea about what is causing the issue.

Greg is right, the extractor/ejector combo is a good usual suspect. But you might also be running into a tight chamber that is knocking the bcg out of time. If the bcg's travel isn't smooth sometimes they will lose their grip on the case and kick the shell out early and the ejector might release it before it clears the ejection port. I would recommend polishing the chamber all the way to the neck as well as polishing the feedramps. I run ASC mags, and I haven't had issues with them causing a stove pipe. That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't, just that I haven't seen it with the rifles that I build.

You might also have a burr on your extractor that might be hanging onto the case too long. I have also seen some extractors that are not quite cut right, a bit too deep, that causes a similar issue.

There is a very fine line in the balance between the extractor and ejector on the 6.5 because of the diameter of the shell.

Good luck.

I'm thinking a new extractor spring/rebuild kit.I gave the bolt a good cleaning and polished the extractor with 400 grit emery cloth,and stove piping deminished substantially.

Last edited:
AR's are very sensitive to timing issues. I have seen a lot of 6.5/6.8/7.62x39 AR's with problems. The problems seem to go away as the gun breaks in. Personally, IMHO, barrel manufacturers aren't heping by using a standard m4 extension on these fat bottom girls. Anything that slows the bcg throws off the timing.

Keep us posted...

Originally Posted By: longrange454Since i poloished the sides and back of the extractor body i havn't had any stove pipping.

Congrats. Sometimes the "finishing" on some of the more critical but neglected parts can come back to bite us. Welcome to the 6.5 joy.

Thanks, but there's a problem here. Why is it that a guy just can't stop with just one? This AR bug is nasty. My first 6.5 was a 65 Swede probably 50 yrs. ago. I've had the 65 bug ever since.

Originally Posted By: longrange454Thanks, but there's a problem here. Why is it that a guy just can't stop with just one? This AR bug is nasty. My first 6.5 was a 65 Swede probably 50 yrs. ago. I've had the 65 bug ever since.

True, it is an addiction.

I am Mo, and I am ARdicted.

Back