MORE WINNING: 5th Circuit Rules Against Three UT Professors

hm1996

Staff member
Quote:
Texas State Rifle Association PAC

Houston Chronicle Reporter Called

Yesterday a Houston Chronicle reporter called me to ask what TSRA thinks about possible legislation that would require a person with a lost or stolen firearm to report that loss or theft to law enforcement by a specific date or be subject to a criminal penalty.

She said this issue has passed in several states.

My answer was that I had participated in a recent meeting held by Governor Abbott's staff on this issue and others. Those invited included representatives from various law enforcement groups, both urban and rural, and included judges, district attorneys and others.

In addition I had done research on the topic. Currently there are only 11 states with mandatory reporting laws and all but one are on the east coast. The one western state is California.

In addition one or two of the 11 specify a type of firearm that if lost or stolen must be reported. One state requires reporting only if the firearm is a handgun while another requires reporting on "assault weapons"; yet another lists only stolen guns but not those that are lost.

This is NOT a national safety movement.

During the meeting a law enforcement person stated that most people do report and law enforcement stores contact information only to be able to return the item if it's found as they would return other items.

This same law enforcement person said why would you further victimize the victim. This type of database is not used as an investigation tool.

The reporter followed up by asking, "So TSRA would oppose such language?"

My answer was "Absolutely as it seems to be a solution looking for a problem and not a missing safety tool. Why would anyone support such an issue unless it's for political purposes?"

Another Issue Settled in Court!

Last Summer TSRA spent a great deal of time in Austin listening to testimony in Federal Court. Three UT professors filed a lawsuit claiming that if Licensees carried into their classrooms it would infringe on their first amendment rights and they would not be able to teach. The federal judge told them from the get-go that he would not find in their favor but he expected they would appeal his ruling and they did.

See the link below for the outcome and thanks to all!

5th Circuit Rules Against Three UT Professors

Special Election in State Senate District 19

State Senate District 19 includes most or all of 17 Texas counties including 29% of Bexar county and others west of Bexar. The incumbent Democrat Senator Carlos Uresti was convicted of fraud and resigned office.

Three candidates filed for his senate seat, two Democrats both with name recognition and one Republican. San Antonio newspapers speculated which of the two Democrats would win the district and would one of them gather the 50% plus of the vote to win without a run-off. No attention was paid to former Texas Game Warden Pete Flores, the Republican. Meanwhile Flores was hard at work on his own!

On the July 31, Election Day, Flores came in first with former Congressman Pete Gallego running 2nd.

Flores currently has the endorsement of Governor Abbott, Lt. Governor Patrick and others.

TSRA-PAC did alerts on his behalf during the primary and is committed to post cards as well as PAC funds and email alerts.

Don't believe marketing techniques that would keep you from voting! So much for the Blue Wave!

If you have friends or family in Alascosa, Bexar, Brewster, Crockett, Dimmit, Edwards, Frio, Kinney, Maverick, Medina, Uvalde, Val Verde, or Zavala county urge them to take heart, be involved and vote in the Special Election Run-Off for SD19. Don't get a case of the "blues!".

Run-Off Election Day for SD19

Early Voting: Monday, Sept. 10 thru Friday, Sept.14

Election Day is Tuesday, September 18
Stay tuned for General Election information! Coming Soon!

Back