Henry Long Ranger or Browning BLR???

Never shot the Henry. Looks like a nice rifle though. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either one. I have owned a BLR in 308 for about 5 years. It shoots 5/8-3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with cheap Previ 150gr soft point ammo and a so-so Weaver 3-9 X 40mm scope. I bought the gun used off of Gun Broker for $450. I like it.

The mystique of the lever gun left me when I got a BLR 222. Terrible trigger ,was OK accurate hated to get it up off the rest or sand bags for the next shot (to jack another round in) Froze up in snow storm.A southern gun for sure or fair weather hunter.

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleThe mystique of the lever gun left me when I got a BLR 222. Terrible trigger ,was OK accurate hated to get it up off the rest or sand bags for the next shot (to jack another round in) Froze up in snow storm.A southern gun for sure or fair weather hunter.

Used mine in South Dakota ( where I was living and from) as ranch rifle for a few years. Saw lots of blowing snow and way below zero temps. With me on more than a few nights checking calves and never a hiccup
Could care less about how it shot or cycled off of sand bags.
I do prefer a bolt action now that they are more regularly available in left handed.

Last edited:
Sold both my BLR in 243 and my BAR in 270 because of no support from Browning customer service. They stopped making replacement BLR magazines, and they could never keep the 270 cycling. No experience with any other lever actions.

Back