Coyote Hunting - late spring and summer

gostovp

Well, this winter has been a bust for me...so much snow and more coming has made coyote hunting tough I think. I'm seriously thinking about hanging it up until we get some melt going....

I hunt coyote for predator control and don't really care about the fur, so I'm wondering if hunting them in late spring, early summer is something I should consider.

Do any of you call during that time of the year? If so, daytime or night time? Is night time calling even possible without the snow cover? Does dealing with bugs, warmer weather, ticks, etc discourage coyote hunting at this time? Are they even callable?

I don't do it but in the spring would be a good time since they have there territories set and they protect them at all costs. The problems is that it is turkey season and it can be muddy out there so walking across fields don't work for me. I would think any time to call would be good like I said they are protecting there territories and also need a lot of food for there young. What can you be out? A Hawk stealing the top of Mojo Critter?:) I have called in and got 2 fox, and three coyotes. Also called in 2 owls, 3 hawks and 2 bald eagles for obvious reasons just enjoyed watching them and teasing them. Good luck.

I hunt predominantly for fur, so I am usually done at the end of february when the fur quality is on the decline. I will keep going into early march if fur/conditions seem still good. But I won't hunt into april for fear of shooting a female that's already got pups in the den, that would obviously starve to death without their mama. That's not cool in my books. Just my two cents.

I have buddies that have called in coyote while trying to call turkey in the spring.

Because of the popularity of turkey hunting, pheasant hunting, grouse hunting, and deer hunting around here, coyotes are pretty much shoot on-site here.... Getting fur is a bonus I suppose.

I'm trying to think of ways to increase my odds of success... Lots of dog runners around here, and the popularity of predator hunting is increasing ... Maybe hitting it in Oct/Nov/December might be better...

I've had good success calling late summer. The pups are mostly on their own and not too smart. I've only gone early morning due to the heat. For bugs I'll have the therma cell and permetherone(sp) for ticks.

I am mostly predator control as well. More fawns. DNR already ruining deer numbers so somebody needs to counter their ineptness.

You can hunt them all year. Spring is good for predator control, removing parent's. Summer is good because the young coyote's are easy to call in, I only day hunt so cant answer night questions. Late summer pup distress call's works great. I my self start in late August and stop around February.

Last edited:
Back