Henry Long Ranger or Browning BLR???

kdm1986

I have no idea why, but I've thinking about getting one of these. Probably in 308 but also tossed around the 7/08 if I went with the BLR. For those who have shot one which one do you prefer and why? Which one is more accurate? If it makes a difference, I will probably be running homebrew rounds through it. Thanks

IMO and I have never shot either, I would lean towards Henry. I like the more traditional look, made in USA and their quality is usually very good. Nothing really against the Browning either, just like the looks of the Henry best.

Like pyschodog, I have never shot either. But there was a guy at the range one time with a BLR in .243 that was shooting 100 yard cloverleafs with his. Factory W-W 100 grain soft points. He had bought it for his son (he had a Sako .243) but after seeing how good it shot he was thinking of giving his son the Sako and keeping the Browning for himself. Dont remember the scope other than it being a 3-9X power.

The only lever gun I ever owned was a Savage 99 in .308 Winchester and it shot very well too.

I have never even had a hankering to own a lever gun until the last few months. But generally when the urge hits for something I go balls deep!! So I went and got a 39A and a BL22 grade 2, now trying to make a semi informed decision between the Henry and Browning.

Either one will be a good choice!! Your gonna love that little 39A. We have a large gun show in Tulsa this week-end. My gunsmith called tonite and told me he sold his 39A to another dealer today. I was going to try to buy it. Guess I missed that one.

I have had BLRs for many years and love them.I shot the 358 win.until the 450 Marlin was offered.I have a 243 and the 450 now and will always have one. I have never had a Henry but I think they would be a great rifle "MADE IN AMERICA".I will try one one of these days soon.Good luck with your choice,love my lever rifles!
e

I like my BLR in 308. I did put Hiviz sights on it.
I just can't get myself to buy a Henry.
No matter how much money they give the NRA.
I own 2 Marlins, 35 Rem and a 45-70
Buy the BLR you will keep it forever.

I enjoy my old Browning BLR 81 .308. The steel frame short action with short lever throw is a great little mixed cover deer rifle. My rifle is very accurate and has been reliable. I'm less a fan of the alloy long action BLR rifles. They just aren't the same to me, but I'm biased from long experience with my old model. I'm sure the new ones are excellent quality, but I don't have experience with them or the Henry in question. To my eye the Browning is the better looking gun between the two.

With just a quick glance at both from a distance, there is not that much difference between the two appearance-wise until you have them up close to really look at them.

For me, the Browning is a proven commodity and it would be my first choice without a pause. JMO however.

I have zero experience with the Henry.
I do own an old BLR .243 that is very accurate. Nice handling little rifle. Killed quite a few deer and antelope with the iron sights before mounting a Leopold 2x7 on it. Good gun.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanWith just a quick glance at both from a distance, there is not that much difference between the two appearance-wise until you have them up close to really look at them.

After I went back and took a good look. There is a lot of similar looks between the two. I'd just pick the one I liked best.

If you want a lever gun with class that is flatter shooting than a typical tube fed Marlin or Winchester, find a Model 99 Savage. There's also the Winchester 88 and Sako Finnwolf but they are not too common. Savage 99's are around and can be had in some nice short action flat shooting cartridges like .243, .250, .308, 7mm-08, .284, .358. The Model 99 was way ahead of its time when it was introduced. It's a great rifle.

Being left handed, I've tried about every " left handed friendly" gun made in my day. I have to second GC on the 99. The old ones were especially well made and chambered in cartridges advanced for the time.

Last edited:
I have thought about the 99 and would get one if it was in pristine shape, but have never heard of the Sako so I'll check that out. If if farming was "a bit" more profitable I'd get both or 3 or 4!

Originally Posted By: atdI've had , and still do the 88s and Sakos. BLR is a better modern lever rifle in my opinion.

Same here. Its hard to beat the BLR in all respects even though I too have a couple of 88's (243 and 308) and a Sako lever gun in 308. They came from another (older) time in terms of design that doesn't always equate as being better. Again, JMO.

just my experience with a marlin 30-30 and a blr in 7m08 cal. the marlin had a better trigger than the blr and both were the same in accuracy. when I called browning about the terrible trigger the CO said that the rifle passed inspection before leaving the factory and nothing could be done to fix it. there is an article in the latest RIFLE magazine about the BLR and the trigger pull is listed at 6lbs pull. the blr is a good rifle until one pulls the trigger, the only thing the BLR had over the marlin was the caliber. just my experience. spike

The BLR trigger can be worked on. Lots of folks get their triggers worked on or replaced on all sorts of firearms so that may not be a deal breaker for some people. There are some significant differences between a tube fed lever gun and a magazine fed lever rifle. I love old Winchester and Marlin lever guns, but the short lever throw of the BLR is nice, the detachable magazine is more convenient and if I needed to stretch the range out those flatter shooting spitzer bullets of the BLR chamberings do so a good bit easier than my old "Dirty Thirty."

Back in the late 70's, early 80's, I and hunting partners tried lever guns on coyotes to help on multiples coming in.
Savage 300 and 250 Savage, model 99
Marlin 30/30
Marlin 256 Winchester
Browning lever in 243-trigger was 7 lbs, never thought of taking it to a gunsmith, too many guys wanted to buy the rifle due to accuracy, 60g Sierra HP

For a bolt action man to go to a lever gun can be tough, when the trigger pull is over 4 lbs. Triggers are easier to tune on some actions vs others.

We had fun with all the above and shots were rarely over 125 yards.

Then went to BAR in 243 but was too heavy, load/unload getting in and out of the truck was not convenient.

Shot a Remington model 25 pump in 25/20 for a year or so, 60g Sp.

Then a Savage pump in 30/30, should have never sold that rifle!!

Went to a Remington pump in 243, did a trigger job myself, called it done as it was a very accurate rifle With 60g Sierra, 85g BTHP Sierra, 75g hp Sierra, and 95g Partition. I wasted the barrel shooting jack rabbits, I have always intended to get another as I prefer it to an AR due to fit and feel.

If a guy just wanted to play with a good lever gun, an older JM model Marlin in 30/30 shooting Remington 150g core loct factory rounds is a heck of a package for coyotes to deer. Accuracy will be around 1.5" at 100 yards on a good 336 with a 3x9 scope. If you happen to get lucky enough to find a Savage model 99 in any caliber, they will shock you at how accurate they are.

Back