Pulsar thermal battery life

wiiawiwb

The Pulsar Helion XQ28F/30F/38F/50F all come equipped with a battery they claim lasts eight hours. Separate battery packs can be purchased if needed.

What experience are you folks getting when you recharge the battery provided...are you getting it to last eight hours or is that optimistic?

Others seem to get longer life out of their Pulsar batteries than I do. I own a Helion XP38 and a Trail XQ38. I use 3 batteries between the units. I have 3 of the IPS5 batteries. Two came with the thermals and then I bought an extra. I also own an IPS10. The IPS10 will go all night long without question. In the end, I could have just gone with 3 as I use the 2 IPS5 batteries for the spotter and the IPS10 on my scope. With the IPS5 on my Helion, it will last about 2/3 through a night hunt. I hunt ND so it is probably colder here on average than most places but probably the reason. I would say 6 hrs is realistic for the IPS5 (8hr battery) and 12 hrs or more for the IPS10 in colder climates. The only thing about the IPS10 is it would be odd to use it with the Helion because it sticks out too far. It is fine on the Trail but just adds some weight.

I always have the 4th battery along in case of some weird situation but have never used it. Having a spare isn't a bad thing.

If we hunt from right at dark to two or three in the morning mine's normally about to run out of juice. So I would say I'm getting very close to that. I keep one spare along and there's no way I could outlast those batteries.

Eight hours is probably doable if temperatures are 60F. Like Kirsch, I have two IPS5 batteries for my Helion and usually switch the first out after 5-6 hours of use in cold weather. At that point it’s not completely dead but low enough that I don’t want to run the risk of it dying while on stand.

Back