Ticks and chiggers................................

Permethrin treated clothing is how I deal with the pests. We buy the concentrate at Tractor Supply, then soak the clothes. They are good for a year through many washings. No detectable smell after drying. Best thing since ice cream.

Don't know about chiggers, but permethrin will definitely keep ticks off of you. Permethrin doesn't just repel ticks, it kills them as they come in contact with it, been using it for awhile and never had a tick on me when wearing clothing treated with it.

Originally Posted By: SixsixtyMagsDon't know about chiggers, but permethrin will definitely keep ticks off of you. Permethrin doesn't just repel ticks, it kills them as they come in contact with it, been using it for awhile and never had a tick on me when wearing clothing treated with it.

+1 the stuff is great

I know once you've got chigger bites , and we don't hunt here in Southern NJ until it gets pretty cool because of them , the best to get rid of the bites and itching is QUELL . It comes in shampoo or lotion only available by prescription . It's used to kill head lice . Good but nasty stuff -FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS .
As far as prevention the stuff from tractor supply sounds the best . I'm going to try it this year .
Good luck
Soup

Permethrin is an active ingredient for some head lice treatments. If you have an asthma reaction to ragweed, you may need to find a different tick protection. I try to avoid having treated material next to my skin if I will be sweating.

Permethrin is pretty potent stuff. IDK, not an expert by any means, but I would be, and am pretty cautious about using the various agriculture grade undiluted.

Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent is extremely effective on keeping ticks and chiggers off when applied as directed and contains only 0.5% permethrin.

When local Academy no longer stocked Sawyer's, I purchased the ag grade 10% permethrin and diluted with water (the inert ingredient) to equal 99.5% water/and 0.5% permethrin; it works equally as well following Sawyer's instructions. I'd be a bit leery of using the 10% mix on clothing.

Regards,
hm

What we get at Tractor Supply is 13% permethrin. We dilute that 1oz to 15oz of water. Whatever that comes out to WORKS with no side affects for us. Your mileage may very.

Originally Posted By: weekenderWhat we get at Tractor Supply is 13% permethrin. We dilute that 1oz to 15oz of water. Whatever that comes out to WORKS with no side affects for us. Your mileage may very.

Pretty close to what I've been using (0.8%) if my math is correct????

I mix 20 oz water to 1 oz of 10% permethrin; best I can figure that should be 0.5%. Fortunately I'm a little better shot than mathematician, however, or I'd never hit a coyote.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

HM to equal .5% solution you would mix 19 oz of water with 1 oz of 10% permethrin. The 13% strength is mixed with 25 oz water for final .5% solution mixing with 15 oz water is almost double the Sawyer strength solution.

You are correct SS&S. I forgot I was adding an oz of "inert ingredients". I told you my math was not all that great.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

That figures out to about 0.64 ounce( about 0.5%) per gallon of 36.8 % permethrin (128 ounces in a gallon ) if my calculations are right then.

You would need 1.75 oz of 36.8% solution to make 128.8 oz total volume. So add 127.05 oz of water to 1.75 oz of 36.8% permethrin to yield a final volume of 128.8 oz of clothing treatment(.5%).

If you mix 2 oz with 120 oz of water you are at .6% strength.

Last edited:
I purchased the Permethrin spray at bass pro. I sprayed it on fairly lightly on my clothes because it said to keep it off the skin. I still had new bites, but at least I didn't find any tics on me when I got home that night..LOL

I will spray the Permithrin generously next time....I'm not messing around. If I don't get bit, but the spray gives me cancer, that's the chance I am willing to take. LOL

Back