First Peek at the 22-NXS!!

Originally Posted By: dozer_xjOriginally Posted By: 3DHUSKEROriginally Posted By: GLShooterSteve just build a WSSM and call it good. You bring this up all the time. I suspect that's the closest you'll get.

Greg

That is exactly what he needs.
smile.gif
Oh and it is already available.

And brass is available. huuummm na I dont need it... right?!

It is more available than what he is asking for. I have one case sitting here right in front of me to get him started.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dozer_xjOriginally Posted By: 3DHUSKEROriginally Posted By: GLShooterSteve just build a WSSM and call it good. You bring this up all the time. I suspect that's the closest you'll get.

Greg

That is exactly what he needs.
smile.gif
Oh and it is already available.

And brass is available. huuummm na I dont need it... right?!

I have a 25 WSSM AR . I'm mulling around thinking about swapping a 243 version barrel on it.

Just something different as I have about 500 pieces of brass for the 25.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GLShooterSteve just build a WSSM and call it good. You bring this up all the time. I suspect that's the closest you'll get.

Greg

Oh and BTW, a 22 LBC is cool. (VBG)

that may happen one of these days. maybe when or if I get tired of playing with the new 6dti, finally shot it for the first time this morning actually. the problem for me going WSSM is a couple things. I like to run RRA EOP uppers, YES I know I am odd. I like my optics mounted a certain way and at an exact height. The other is my can is maxed out running 6.8 or the x39 case compacties. I would have to go either unsuppressed or get a new can. the other is I am not sure I want that much recoil. plus the magazine situation isn't ideal.

Sounds like you're one busy man painting yourself into a corner. Intransigence in your decision making has cemented your position on this issue tremendously.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223 If I miss I want to be able to wade away from the stand ankle deep brass.

there's the varminter.223 we have all come to know.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Wssm mag situtaion sucks. If I miss I want to be able to wade away from the stand ankle deep brass.

Picking up five pieces of that brass is like spending a day in the cotton fields as much as my back hurts from it.

Greg

I have been shooting a 22 hagar for some time now the only thing I don't like is using the 22nosler dies the hagar leanth to the shoulder is 1.432 22nosler is 1.389 hagar is .043 thou longer and on the 22 nosler dies there is a 1/16 radius so you will not full leanth size you will be .054 thou short after a couple of firings you get a bulge .wont chamber ! now the hagar base dia chamber sise is .418 thou and the 22 nosler chamber sise is .422 I rounded these up hagar is .004 smaller at the other end hagar is .408 thou 22nosler is .4009 or .401 thou hagar is .007 thou bigger so you might have to buy a hagar die to full leanth size . you might have to polish it out a couple thou .next brass is less taperd grabs chamber better less bolt thrust ! I have been shooting the 6mm 22 hagar for a long time if you look way back im the one that started using hagar brass to make 22nosgar also gave it that name! you are going to like this cartridge I don't want to rain on your parade I just see a problem also rifle plus 2 inches gas tube national match ..

Thanks for the comments. We'll see how it goes.

Based on loading the 243LBC with 6 PPC dies for multiple times and never having an issue it's worth a shot. The 6 PPC die is backed off approximately 0.077 when loading the Grendel based case and they are still running strong. The Lapua is not near as heavy in the web thickness compared to the Hagar. We're pretty sure it is a non-issue.

We've also loaded the American 30 cases as many as seven times and found no chambering issues with the die backed off. IIRC it is moved up about 0.050 give or take. Some of those puppies are HOT and I still am happy loading away on my first 200 cases

Far better to find the problems early on and that's why Ritch and I like to thoroughly evaluate new chambers before they go into commercial production.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Really no such thing as shooting 600 yards around here.....almost no such thing as even seeing 600 yards lol......unless its a barn or house. I understand some guys legitimately can shoot that far but what drives me nuts is the Facebook crowd that due to advertiding thinks if they buy a rifle with a fast twist that shoots a long skinny bullet out of a round with a catchy name they are overnight success at becoming a sniper yet thinking 2" groups at 100 is precision shooting. Then they Waltz off to purchase more thick jacketed ammo to try to kill a coyote with out of there fast twist sniper rifle that they decided to get with a 16 inch barrel.
I was always afraid that trying to build a gun around increasing your odds of killing coyotes at 600 yards would cause some misses on the gimmies at under 300 just due two more arc in the flight path. I know if you start fudging your round much over an inch high at 100 yards things get to be awful high out at 150 or so yards with the scope being mounted so high on an AR. I need a laser out to 225 because when coyotes appear my brain disappears LOL

Did I type this or did you? This is word for word with my thinking. Where I live you can shoot a long ways but that’s for the canyon pounders. Coyote bullets have to be lasers. I’ve missed a lot at 150 because of inexperience. None of my coyote guns are zerod where there is more that an inch climb.

Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Im a huge fan of any of these wildcats. But my biggest hurdle has always been locating and obtaining quality brass. Seems to be the biggest factor for me.

If you avoid 6.8 case head size it is not much of an issue thanks to Lapua. I will say the NEW Starline 6.8 and Grendel stuff is looking good on handling pressures and the weights are not terribly inconsistent. The price is right too on the Grendel too.

Oddly enough I weighed some Lapua 6.5 Grendel. the other day and it had as big a variation as the Grendel cases that Starline sent me to evaluate. I have some Hagar tucked away I'll have to weigh some and see how Hornady did on that batch.

Greg

Ritch is messing with me so this morning I got a text nice and early. He's going song dogging later today so he had to sight in his new whiz bang 22-NXS. As he only has 17 pieces of brass he had to be parsimonious with the ammo.

This was shot at 100 yards with the load posted earlier using a 55 Sierra. Only three in this one.

4sfgT08.jpg

Those one measured out to 0.167 CTC. He shot three more that he said were two in one and then he leaked one out. Not near as pretty as it ran 0.432.

He got home and cleaned up his cases to use later and he sent me this shot. This case has been fired three times and has now been sized three times. You might notice it looks as pristine as when he formed it. He reports the primer pockets are holding and remain very tight.

8nNvlw1.jpg

Tactical Ordnance told me they would spin my barrel next week, 24" on this one, and I've shipped my parts off to Ritch for assembly along with 25 pieces of hoarded Hagar I had. With the extra brass he can branch out and shoot some other powders.

Hopefully a coyote will cooperate later/.

Greg

Ritch continues to devil me. I just got these two on a text from the Arizona Strip. First blood for the 22-NXS. 200 yards running. One shot. 55 Sierra. He says it is NOT fur friendly

JfwgMvn.jpg

He is happy!!

TKyIRMs.jpg

Greg

That yote could almost pass for a Fox lol poor lil feller.

Is Ritch using gamekings? What speed is he pushing them?
I can verify that soft points are not fur friendly at higher speeds.
Hollow points or varmint tips may be more suitable to save fur on this project.

Back