I use an AR10- Chambered in .308 to kill Coyotes

I think that is all I have to say about that........LOL

If I kill one......um.. I don't save the pelts. My land owners are OK with any kill......they prefer I drag my kill away if it's in a beanfield.....so the combine doesn't get clogged with coyote boness......

they also have cattle......throw them over the fence.....corn is on the other side....need to land short of the corn. LOL

Last edited:

The good thing is you can use what you want. Some places have restrictions on calibers but if your state doesn't then go for it.

Keep us posted and with good photos.

When I started hunting coyotes all I had was a 30-06. Killed a lot of coyotes with 125gr soft points. Use what works for ya!

That'll get the job done. It's not a complete solution to no run offs though. A buddy of mine shoots a .308 for everything from prairie dogs to deer. On a broadside shot you'll see one run off if you get it in the guts.

Originally Posted By: KC Coyote HunterI think that is all I have to say about that........LOL

If I kill one......um.. I don't save the pelts. My land owners are OK with any kill......they prefer I drag my kill away if it's in a beanfield.....so the combine doesn't get clogged with coyote boness......

they also have cattle......throw them over the fence.....corn is on the other side....need to land short of the corn. LOL

Cool story...

Im new to hunting I guess.....

I see 30-06 comments..... I expect a big heavy load. Not a little 100-125 grain pellet. A common 30-06 today is bigger and more powerful than my .308.

125 grain? 30-06? Wow...didn't know they made them that small!!

Originally Posted By: KC Coyote HunterIm new to hunting I guess.....

I see 30-06 comments..... I expect a big heavy load. Not a little 100-125 grain pellet. A common 30-06 today is bigger and more powerful than my .308.

125 grain? 30-06? Wow...didn't know they made them that small!!

If you reload, try the 125 gr. NBT in your .308.....but don't expect to salvage any fur.....hamburger, maybe but fur, not so much.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
The good thing is you can use what you want. Some places have restrictions on calibers but if your state doesn't then go for it.

Keep us posted and with good photos.

I do have a couple graphic pictures of the dogs I killed, but aren't there forum rules against the blood-guts photos? As I said...I am new and I only have 2 kills so far. Both are pretty nasty blood-guts pics so I didn't share them. I can though...if this doesn't break the forum rules. Both were hit twice for good measure with 180 grain. I know overkill, but it's fun to shoot! I aim center mass not trying for vitals.... gut shot both....both stood up with probably 10 seconds to live, then I hit them again in in the boiler works and neck shot on the other. I'm just an old dog myself learning new tricks...LOL

(and having a lot of fun)

Last edited:

Yes, the forum has rules about graphic photos, and a good rule for promoting a decent image. If you think they are too graphic then they probably are. Sooner or later you will get useable photos and we all look forward to those as well as your story.

As to overkill, how about using a .375 H&H for groundhog hunting!!!! That's what my son did on one of our hunts. What else is he going to be able to use it for! We dont have Cape Buffalos running around here. I have the philosophy that as long as it's legal, then use whatever to your enjoyment.

Stay after the coyotes.

My first kill has no blood at all, but the exit wound is the size of a volleyball with guts hanging out.... the second is a bloody mess. As a coyote hunter....I need to share the pics......... I'm just now sure where to post them yet.

Last edited:
going forward...I am the .308 guy I am a coyote killing enthusiast.............and I will kill pigs in OK too..............separate trip. I still need to buy a cooler for the meat....................

hunting with local hunters...that would be cool............alpha dog down............he's in the MO/KS area............I want to hunt with him.

Last edited:
When I first started hunting coyotes the only centerfire rifle I had was an ADL in 7 Mag and I was shooting 110 grain TNT's. I'm not sure I ever killed more than one with it but I will say it worked when I connected lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OLE RASPYI thought crops were harvested.

A good coyote hunter can help to "grow" his coyote crop and keep them healthy for harvest.

Originally Posted By: KC Coyote HunterI do have a couple graphic pictures of the dogs I killed, but aren't there forum rules against the blood-guts photos? As I said...I am new and I only have 2 kills so far. Both are pretty nasty blood-guts pics so I didn't share them. I can though...if this doesn't break the forum rules. Both were hit twice for good measure with 180 grain. I know overkill, but it's fun to shoot! I aim center mass not trying for vitals.... gut shot both....both stood up with probably 10 seconds to live, then I hit them again in in the boiler works and neck shot on the other.

Tuck those guts back inside and flip them over on their good side, take pics and post away. Aim for the vitals, you will inadvertently get gut shots but don't do it on purpose. If you have to have the over kill, put them down quickly first so they don't suffer. Then do a mag dump, set them on fire, drag them behind your truck or whatever else floats your boat but keep that to yourself and don't post or share it anywhere...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: KC Coyote HunterI do have a couple graphic pictures of the dogs I killed, but aren't there forum rules against the blood-guts photos? As I said...I am new and I only have 2 kills so far. Both are pretty nasty blood-guts pics so I didn't share them. I can though...if this doesn't break the forum rules. Both were hit twice for good measure with 180 grain. I know overkill, but it's fun to shoot! I aim center mass not trying for vitals.... gut shot both....both stood up with probably 10 seconds to live, then I hit them again in in the boiler works and neck shot on the other.

Tuck those guts back inside and flip them over on their good side, take pics and post away. Aim for the vitals, you will inadvertently get gut shots but don't do it on purpose. If you have to have the over kill, put them down quickly first so they don't suffer. Then do a mag dump, set them on fire, drag them behind your truck or whatever else floats your boat but keep that to yourself and don't post or share it anywhere...

I missed that portion of the post. Really bad showing there sport...

Back