Another Muzzle Loader question (new picture)

pyscodog

I just ordered a new Boyds stock to replace the plastic stock on my Remington ML. If the barrel doesn't float in the new stock, should I float it? And do you think bedding the action will lend anything to the accuracy? I'm thinking if I spent the money on a new stock, I may as well do the rest of it before season gets here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI just ordered a new Boyds stock to replace the plastic stock on my Remington ML. If the barrel doesn't float in the new stock, should I float it? And do you think bedding the action will lend anything to the accuracy? I'm thinking if I spent the money on a new stock, I may as well do the rest of it before season gets here.

You going to cut a channel for your ramrod. I cut one for my savage ML

Originally Posted By: pyscodogDanno, do you think its shoots better now than before?

No idea. Never shot it prior to installing a .45 barrel. Three
shot groups cut one ragged hole @ 100yds when I do my part.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI was hoping it came already cut. I'll just have to see when it gets here.

I just use a range rod when shooting for groups, and a three
piece field rod (one held together by bunge cord). The field
rod breaks down and goes into a pouch worn from the belt.

I have a range rod but usually just use the factory rods when hunting. If it doesn't come already cut, guess I'll have to come up with plan "B".

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have a range rod but usually just use the factory rods when hunting. If it doesn't come already cut, guess I'll have to come up with plan "B".

I used a small router table with a rail. I set a shim board on the side of the stock parallel with the bore and taped it in place. I made a shim board for the end of the forearm. You can get ramrods from Dixie Gun Works.

I talked with Boyd's and they said it should come already cut for a rod. It should be here tomorrow afternoon so I'll know for sure then. I was hoping to use my factory ram rod if possible.

Well,I got my stock and it does have the ramrod groove in it. But......it was supposed to have the deer theme lazer engraving on it and it didn't. Crap! Oh well, they said they would credit my card and take the $55 off. Guess that will have to work as I'm not sending it back.

Well, on a good note- my action dropped right in. 100% drop in, no sanding no grinding anywhere. Guess I can live without the extra bling but sure wished they hadn't forgot my checkering. Man it sure looks nice!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogWell,I got my stock and it does have the ramrod groove in it. But......it was supposed to have the deer theme lazer engraving on it and it didn't. Crap! Oh well, they said they would credit my card and take the $55 off. Guess that will have to work as I'm not sending it back.

Well, on a good note- my action dropped right in. 100% drop in, no sanding no grinding anywhere. Guess I can live without the extra bling but sure wished they hadn't forgot my checkering. Man it sure looks nice!!

What powder can you use in you Remington? I burn 5744 in my savage.
You got to show us a picture of this rifle. I bet it is very nice.

I use Blackhorn in my rifle. It seems to work really well in it. BH and a 250 SST makes a pretty deadly accurate load. As for pics.....I'm computer challenged severely but I could send you one via cell phone if you give me a number.

Bill's new 700ML

ADHGJrH.jpg

Actually it just a new stock and an older rifle. But its got a new conversion kit in the bolt and a nice trigger job and new VXII 3x9 Leupold. So some of it is new and some not so new. But Thanks to Willy1947 for posting the picture for me.

Last edited:
Great lookin' rifle there, Bill! Did you convert it to shoot
the 209 primers?

Originally Posted By: willy1947What powder can you use in you Remington? I burn 5744 in my savage.

Please be careful with your words pertaining to shooting
smokeless powder. It could confuse some into thinking smokeless
can be used in a BP-only rifle. It has happened several times
in the past resulting in sometimes catastrophic injuries. I
also have a 10MLII (converted to .451 barrel) and a Rem700ML
converted to .458 smokeless barrel, but make sure that people
know they cannot shoot high pressure smokeless in their
factory BP-only rifles.

It shoots the 209's. I had a breech plug conversion done on it but can't remember the name of the kit. The primer stays in the bolt and makes for a really clean burn. I get no powder residue in the action now at all. I shoot the Blackhorn powder with SST bullets. No smokeless in this rifle.The only negative I have with this stock, other than Boyd's forgot to do the checkering, is it is really got a slick finish on it. Hopefully this won't be a problem in the field.

Back