Look! A lion!

Originally Posted By: 243kimber What canon did you have in the back seat?? Very cool pics! Big Congrats!!

A .17 Mach IV
smile.gif
. Highly confident I could have switched him off instantly with it
smile.gif

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: hm1996
Quote:

Maybe I'll have better luck calling one in and getting a good shot at it this coming winter!

Just one word of advice, Dave........ Take your daughter with you and let her whistle him in! lol

You might be on to something there. A lion "whistle" was the go to sound trying to call one over the winter. My buddy did have some luck with calling them in fairly close, too, just no shots presented. My daughter's whistle doesn't sound much different, to my ears (which ain't saying much...). But that lion sure did take immediate notice and interest! Like I said, looked like he was chasing a deer, running through that brush, could just see flashes. She starts that whistle and he comes to a full stop, does about a 110 degree turn, starts towards us then jumps up on a stump to see us better over the brush. Which, bless his heart, made it so we could see HIM a lot better too!

Ha! Just goes to show what I know about mountain lions (extremely rare to non-existent down here); I was horsing around. Never knew they "whistled". Live and learn.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

pretty cool Dave. Not every day a lion poses for a pic. like that. Rarely seen in the wild by most and yet this one jumped up on a stump and long enough for pics.

Originally Posted By: 243kimber What canon did you have in the back seat?? Very cool pics! Big Congrats!!

Rem 870, big ol' Hastings barrel and Hastings brake, and some lead T-shot woulda made easy work of that lion at a wimpy 70 yards.
scared.gif

DAA you have an amazing talent with a camera. I always like opening your posts to see what eye candy you have posted. What a cool experience for you guys!

Dirty dog why be good only to 70 when that 17 would shoot tight groups out to 1000. It’s almost cheating that DAA had one with him in the first place.

Glad you decided to put this on the site, it would be a shame to not share it with this group of guys. Great comments!

Wishing you great success this winter calling one in. Hope to witness DAA tipping one over.

This is the kind of thing that reminds me of why I like to hunt, I have always said to people it is not about the kill for me. Your kids, and your kids-kids will hear tell of this encounter....

Originally Posted By: g BoGlad you decided to put this on the site, it would be a shame to not share it with this group of guys. Great comments!

Wishing you great success this winter calling one in. Hope to witness DAA tipping one over.

he told me he didn't think he got any pictures of it that were worth posting.

he sure was wrong about that. they look great to me.

The pictures are super noisy. Shutter speed setting is controlled by a wheel that got spun while the camera was rolling around on top of the console. Waaaaaaay off from where I wanted it to be. But in the excitement of the moment, I didn't notice.

Couldn't make a print out of these. Quality just isn't there. My bad. Oh well...

- DAA

Hey, Dave, your worst pictures are better than most of us get on our best day! I, for one, would be ecstatic to get results like that.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Hey, Dave, your worst pictures are better than most of us get on our best day! I, for one, would be ecstatic to get results like that.

Regards,
hm

exactly.

Originally Posted By: DAACouldn't make a print out of these. Quality just isn't there. My bad. Oh well...

But you sure as heck got a good story to go along with it... be better to have both, but like Clarence and Slick said, your worst is still better than my best. Glad you shared it with us.

Beautiful cat, and Beautiful Photos of it!

Looks like mottled shins and obviously mickey mouse ears, likely under 2yo. Super healthy gorgeous cat, regardless.

Back