Where To Go?

1750Shooter

Thinking of coming to AZ in 2 years with our RV & staying for a couple of weeks. Was wondering about coyote/javalina hunting opportunities & suggestions on where to set up our “base”. Has to have shopping/sightseeing for She Who Must Be Obeyed. Thanks for any recommendations.

Be advised, that most of the javelina hunts are by lottery for your tags, so make sure you go and put in for the draw on the AZGFD website. Javelina are spread out around the state in many of the low and mid desert areas. There are plenty of them in the Tucson area, up into Marana, over into Florence. There are also good concentrations in the Black Canyon City area. Pretty much anywhere that you find prickly pear cactus and farm field concentrations you will find javelina.

As for coyotes, they are everywhere in the state. Do some satellite scouting and find water holes, farm fields and if you can, cows. If you have those 3 things within about 2 miles of each other, you will find an abundance of coyotes. Coyotes and javelina will also be found together, so chances are if you are javelina hunting you will run into coyotes.

Originally Posted By: 1750ShooterThanks much for your advice. Is there a best time of year?

Javalina season is typically Jan/Feb.

Coincidently, Jan/Feb is the worst time of the year to hunt......everybody and their mother will be trying to run you over with their glorified golf carts, mountain bikes and other "fair weather apparatus".

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanOriginally Posted By: 1750ShooterThanks much for your advice. Is there a best time of year?

Coincidently, Jan/Feb is the worst time of the year to hunt......everybody and their mother will be trying to run you over with their glorified golf carts, mountain bikes and other "fair weather apparatus".

Hahaha I couldn't have said it any better myself. Just when you think you got far enough away, they find you.

So 1750Shooter expect to do a lot of exploring if you come during this time of year (Jan/Feb.)

Originally Posted By: Dirt MedicOriginally Posted By: Arizona BushmanOriginally Posted By: 1750ShooterThanks much for your advice. Is there a best time of year?

Hahaha I couldn't have said it any better myself. Just when you think you got far enough away, they find you.

So 1750Shooter expect to do a lot of exploring if you come during this time of year (Jan/Feb.)

Bushman and I can't go anywhere that time of year without attracting a gaggle of wanna be road hunters. We have come back to our trucks or mule and have had 2 or more trucks parked right with us.

One year we were rolling through an area where a gaggle had parked. Bushman says, "bet those guys are using deer urine." Standing right BETWEEN their trucks, noses to the ground were a pair of bucks. LMAO!

Patience becomes a virtue that time of year.

Back