hodgdons reloading data?

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

on the website it gives starting loads. does that mean you have to start there or can you go even less then that? can i load 38+p in a 357 magnum case. to get lighter recoil, but still use the longer case?

Don't go lighter than min. load as you may get detonation instead of burn,the way the powder can lay in case. Try Speer web site they have some reduced loads for some cartridges, I don't know if they do for 38/357 loads though.

H-4895 is I think the only Hodgdon powder that can be reduced. There is a formula that is used, try and Google it or email Hodgdon. The cartridge you are planning to load must have data using H-4895 and you start at 60% of max. But double check.

To add, lighter recoil is derived from a using a lighter bullet. Look into COWBOY ACTION data. Don't "mix" use the data as shown with case and bullet as noted.

With the OP’s questions in mind, I would suggest reading some load books and not seeking unsolicited advice from Internet forums. You’re really playing with fire there. All of the original questions are answered in every load book I have ever read.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will reload light bullets, with minumum or just above minumum for that round, per book data. Just looking for a light load so my daughter can shoot. I have just heard so much negative on shooting 38 special in 357 revolvers. So not sure if i want to go that route. Thanks again. Dave

The myth about 38 spec.ruining a 357 cylinder now days is BS. Maybe if you shot 1000 rounds and never cleaned the gun or cylinder you might get a rust or carbon ring in your cylinder.But that would be from neglect not the loads you shoot.

Originally Posted By: BearThe myth about 38 spec.ruining a 357 cylinder now days is BS. Maybe if you shot 1000 rounds and never cleaned the gun or cylinder you might get a rust or carbon ring in your cylinder.But that would be from neglect not the loads you shoot.

Awesome thanks buddy. I got several hundres rnds of 38 special. And my revolver is a ruger gp100 6 inch barrel. It is brand new, have not even shot it yet.

I've run hundreds of .38spl through a .357. It makes for a great low-recoil plinker that everyone loves to shoot. The stories about it ruining a .357 cylinder are old wives tales. The only way you might run into problems is if you never clean it and let a carbon ring build up. swab the cylinder with a good carbon remover, and you won't have any issues going back to .357.

as noted - you use the load data for the cartridge you're reloading. dont mix stuff up or go off the ranch until you get some expierence under your belt and know what you're really doing.

what a difference working up a load in 357 mag. 125 sjhp with close to max 2400 in a 6 inch gp100. really goes boom, and felt some un burned powder hit my face. or some hot particles anyways. shot better with mid range loads. also 158 grain hornady xtp patterned best at near max loads. Dave dang this reloading sure is fun. Kinda scary though shooting the upper powder limits.

Originally Posted By: onegunred I thought you wanted low recoil ?

This was with 158 grain loads. Right now i am testing loads. I will be doing most light recoiling. but testing what a hunting round would do also. im thinking this 2400 i got is not a good one with light loads. i will be buying another powder for light loads. also I got 500 hornady 110 grains coming for my light loads. just looking at data for which powder can be adjusted down for light recoil with a 110 grain pill. Thinking alliant sport pistol or hodgdons PB which has low pressure and velocity on light powder loads. Thanks Dave.

Last edited:
I have not reloaded 38/357 in 40 years. All of my 44 mag loads are with 240+ gr bullets and either Universal or 2400. If you start using a lead bullet of some sort Universal can give a light easy recoil load. Avoid lite loads with jacketed bullets, you don't want to stick one in the barrel and don't reduce any powder below what the load table shows. I did use a lot of Bullseye in 38 sp. with 148 gr. wadcutters, it was a lite load. Have fun.

Back