best powders for 357 and 9mm?? big delima

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

I am looking for your opinions on best powders for 9mm and 357 mag. I have a pound of titegroup. Also looking at either longshot or hs-6. I see on the hodgdon website they list also h4227 and h110 with starting grains of 18 and 21 grains. Can that much even fit the case or is it very heavy powder?? since titegroup starts at 6.8 grains!! very big difference. Please help this new reloader. The only thing i did so far was deprimed 38 and 357 and sized about 400 9mm. Dave

Oh yes reloading the 357 for a ruger gp100 6 inch
the 9 is for glocks

Last edited:
Titegroup is a good powder for the 9mm. Since you have a pound of it go for it. A pound of powder will last you a long time with that round.

H110 is one of the better powders for the .357 for full power loads. It is one of the slowest powders for that cartridge and yes, 20-22 grains of it works fine if you are using a 125 grain bullet. Lots of flash with that load too. Titegroup would work for the .357 but being very fast burning it is not ideal. A powder like Blue Dot will give you very decent speeds and it does not take a lot of it.

The 9mm has been around for like 120 years and the .357 over 80 years. Lots of good load data for them both.

Tite group and AA#7 are really good in the 9.

when you are talking the 357, bullet weight makes a lot of difference.

For 125's, IMR 4227 or H110 are very nice, with an edge going to 4227.

150's+, H110 is really good, but I used IMR 4756 with 158g Hornady.

Be aware that H110 has a LOT of muzzle flash when it is dark.

As a safety precaution, I like to go with a powder where the case can NOT be double charged. A double charged case would probably not blow up your ruger, but it would ruin it. I did blow up a model 10 with a double charge of bullseye, with no harm to me because I was wearing glasses.

Last edited:
Yes, Titegroup in the 9mm(I like lighter bullets with it) and then 2400 for the 357 would work.

One could use a ‘medium’ burner for both, along the lines of H Universal.

Back