Look! A lion!

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
That's exactly what I said to the kids when I spotted this cat. "Look! A lion!"

We were just driving around looking at deer and elk, seeing what we could see, hoping for a bear maybe.

Had my rifle in the back seat and an unused lion tag in my wallet.

Spotted him running through the oak brush, looked like maybe chasing a deer. After the kids spotted him my daughter started whistling at him and he stopped, turned and took a few strides our way. Then jumped up on a stump to get a better look at us over the oak brush. Sitting up proud and pretty at about 70 yards.

...and...

I let him go
laugh.gif
. But not before taking his picture!

20180806_Camping-ML1.jpg

20180806_Camping-ML2.jpg

After trying to call a lion into position for a shot like that last winter, without success, there just would not have been any satisfaction or joy in executing this one I just rolled up on. Besides, the camera was closer than the rifle and if you want to get pictures of wildlife it's bad karma to shoot the talent.

Maybe I'll have better luck calling one in and getting a good shot at it this coming winter!

- DAA

Great pic! They are elusive enough to know an opportunity such as this is special, so I'd have to agree with giving it a pass.

Wow! Very pretty. Can’t wait to get home tonight to get better look on I-pad and show the wife. That paw looks 5 or 6 inches wide.

Quote:
Maybe I'll have better luck calling one in and getting a good shot at it this coming winter!

Just one word of advice, Dave........ Take your daughter with you and let her whistle him in!
lol.gif

Great pictures!

Regards,
hm

You always have great pictures, Dave. And, I'm like you - it just wasn't fitting to shoot him under those circumstances. What a wonderful encounter nonetheless.

Dave, that lion looks like he’s in the prime of his life. What’s your guess on his weight? I never have studied a good pic of one like that before, his legs, shoulders, and chest are massive.

Really glad you guys like the pics. Will have to try and get up a few of the velvety goodness we saw too.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:

Just one word of advice, Dave........ Take your daughter with you and let her whistle him in!
lol.gif

You might be on to something there. A lion "whistle" was the go to sound trying to call one over the winter. My buddy did have some luck with calling them in fairly close, too, just no shots presented. My daughter's whistle doesn't sound much different, to my ears (which ain't saying much...). But that lion sure did take immediate notice and interest! Like I said, looked like he was chasing a deer, running through that brush, could just see flashes. She starts that whistle and he comes to a full stop, does about a 110 degree turn, starts towards us then jumps up on a stump to see us better over the brush. Which, bless his heart, made it so we could see HIM a lot better too!

Originally Posted By: McGrawDave, that lion looks like he’s in the prime of his life. What’s your guess on his weight? I never have studied a good pic of one like that before, his legs, shoulders, and chest are massive.

I don't have enough experience with them to be confident in estimating weight. Medium sized, for the ones I have seen before.

I know I saw one up close once, followed me on foot for about 45 minutes, that was much bigger. I got a real good, long, close look at that one and figured he weighed at least 180 lbs. Could have been 200, no kidding, state record material. His body was bigger than all but the very biggest local deer.

This one, as big as a doe or small buck but not as big as the bigger local deer. So this one, between 110 and 130 maybe? I'm really not sure, could be off but if I'm off I'd guess I'm too high.

- DAA

Back