New Coyote Hunter...Looking forward to learning from you all!

My first post.........

Hey everybody, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm 50yrs young, and a 'nearly' virgin coyote hunter that lives in the KC area...I coyote hunt about 1hr south of KC in rich coyote country on private land. I have killed one...so I am not a virgin anymore!!!..LOL I've missed one and seen a few...more on that later!! I currently have permission on 4 properties. I served in the military '86-92 and have always been a pro 2nd amendment and hunting enthusiast. I relocated from Ohio to KC in 1999 and never had hunting friends in KC so.... I never pursued hunting!

At the old age of 50, I couldn't take it anymore...LOL... so i took the step all by myself..and figured..I'll find people to hunt with!!! I bought an Aero Precision AR-10, just because it is big,black, scary and shoots .308. I want my first rifle to be multi purpose..good for pigs/deer too... I am a sales guy working in a random office...I started the conversation about a "TEAM" pig hunt.....and now I have a 8 man pig hunt scheduled in OK for late september!! Why did I wait so long? I started talking about hunting pigs to my co-workers, and people kept saying...."YES, I'M IN"...what the heck!! so easy!!!

I just got started...For now...thank you for inviting me to this forum. I already have a lot of questions to ask..LOL I am hunting with a youtube education...and a tiny bit of common sense, and taking some risks..taking "stand" spots that aren't ideal to get close to a possible kill shot..looking forward to your input! Hunting is good!! LOL

Glad to be a new member here... Looking forward to the interaction!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of good reading here for information and ideas to tweak your own concepts of how to be successful. You really can't foul it up, other than the safety aspects. Many times it is just a peaceful moment in the outdoors!

Welcome and THANKS for your service. Rule #1 in coyote hunting is be able to see good on the downwind side.
I'll let others fill you in on rule #2 and beyond.

Welcome to the addiction, its bad. Not sure if you meant your .308 was your all purpose rifle or if you are looking for one but you would be hard pressed to find a better deer/pig/coyote rifle than a nice 25-06. It is a very versatile cartridge. When hunting gets tough or over pressured (may not in your case), go back to the basics. Bring your rifle, bipod/sticks and a couple hand calls. Be still and sit a while, you will get them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome! I should re-title this thread...."SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS and....KNOW YOUR RIFLE!!"..because I have had 2 bad results just recently! The last 2 yotes i have called in were easy close range shots, but my rifle wasn't ready!!!

a few weeks ago:
I took my future son in law hunting with me. I let him charge my AR10 rifle to show him how the charging handle is a hard pull compared to his AR-15.....of course he half-assed it. I even told him the rifle would never fire if you charge it like that because it won't go into battery. I used my palm to bang on the forward assist a few times and figured I was good............... I wasn't. I was presented an easy shot....it wasn't in battery... missed opportunity.

last night:
my new farmer friend has new calves...and he told me yotes have been stalking so I drove 1hr to have a look. one came out right in front of me about 20mins after sunset....bunny shot......."click"....I aggressively pull the charging handle to eject and slam a new round in the chamber......"click. The dog didn't move!!!!!!! I took 4 misfire shots before he wandered off back into the bordering cornfield. arrrrgh.................

The land owner/friend heard me charging the rifle from 200ys away with no bang multiple times...LOL... I disassembled my rifle on the tailgate of his truck afterward to see what was wrong......the firing pin wasn't properly seated. how it didn't fall out of the bolt all together makes me wonder. I disassembled the bolt and put it together on the back of his truck...and it fired like a charm. (i cleaned it a week ago drinking adult beverages...and screwed up) Lessons are being learned!!!!

ive been out several times and have seen nothing...then 2 easy shots...no bang. ouch....that hurts. not killing the coyote stalking the calves really made me mad. He has a huge goat named kevin...haha...he asked me not to shoot Kevin. I will need to ask the relevance of that name at a later date!! Kevin is friendly, he hangs with the cattle...he is a goat like I have ever seen...100lbs plus

Last edited:
I would do the gun cleaning while on drink number 1 and have them put away by number 2. Woulda been a dead coyote with a bolt action 22-250
smile.gif

My landowner friend is is an 11B veteran...I am 12B....we both served. I am pretty sure we both know how to send it. I am embarrassed my rifle didn't fire, but i am pretty sure he can relate. If you shoot enough...[beeep] happens. My ETS was 1992...so I have been separated for awhile. my firing pin wasn't seated correctly...how it didn't fall out of the bolt?...is besides me.

His response.........(he said this to me more than once to rub my nose in the dirt)....if the coyote had a gun, I'd be dead, but in good fun. I sent a few downrange besides his house after re-assembling the bolt. The rifle isn't defective... my bad. This rifle is new and I am just getting back into the gun scene after being away for decades.

I need to get get back up to speed................SEEING A YOTE...that is tough!!! Wasting the opportunities because the rifle isn't ready....this is a tough pill to swallow. Coyote standing still under 100yds.............."click".... this is painful. All my fault......

I'm brand new to Coyote hunting this summer! I've had 4 easy shots...I missed the first...I was excited and jerked the trigger..to be expected. Killed 1....and had 2 rifle fails. Firing pin not inserted correctly...1....(not in battery..the other fail)

sick..........walking through deep [beeep].....to get a shot...then 'click'..or nothing. I need a range day!!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the madness! Lol. I'm sure we have all made some bone-headed mistakes that have caused missed opportunities. Heck.......one time I headed out to the deer woods on a perfect fall morning during prime time. The kind of morning you dream about. I get suited up and am excited to slip into one of my honey holes just before the world starts to wake up, only to find that my bow was NOT in the bed of my truck, but still sitting on the sidewalk next to my garage! LOL!

I'm sure you will learn many lessons here and, the most valuable ones, in the field.The only thing that I have to offer, at the moment, comes from reading the same phrase over and over in almost every one of your posts in this thread........."it was an EASY shot". There are no "easy" shots. They are all hard......some are just harder than others. Remembering that fact has served me well and I'm sure it will do the same for you
wink.gif
Welcome again! This place and the people here are great! Enjoy!

I want to thank you all for the welcome.....

Like I said...I've had 4 easy shots...I missed my first, reasonable considering it was my first and the pulse was racing/pretty sure I jerked the trigger.....killed on my second. 3-4..I was ready, the rifle was not. I have fired a few down range as an army veteran.....I need to get my bearings and get my [beeep] back together. My ETS was March 1992, so I am an old relic....LOL

PS...my best friend is still serving.... 32 years in.

We went to boot camp together...he's still in. Do you know how hard it is to serve this long in today's military? He and his son spent the weekend at my house in KC. We went to the National WW1 memorial museum.... and we ate excellent BBQ after. (Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ--- Freight House location)............bad asssss BBQ!

We are brothers.....we have faults, but we are forever connected. he's been deployed twice....I never was, I don't ask him much about war time.... I try to be a positive experience. He's seen a lot of killing....I tread easy. We've been separated so long, I don't want to dig potential wounds...... we had a great weekend though....we had a fun weekend visit for sure!

I asked if he'd bring a rifle to kill coyotes, but he shot me down cold as ice...

Last edited:
Back