CZ 527 Pro's / Con's

Originally Posted By: okiecatCan anybody tell me where to buy a 527. Cant find a dealer in Ok with one.

Second Hand Rose pawn in Tulsa as well as Sports World. Both are CZ dealers.

Originally Posted By: 9322magSeriously thinking of picking up a CZ 527 for eastern Coyotes, Probably 223 caliber. I'd appreciate any feedback on it's trigger and accuracy. Preferred rings ? Thanks for any advice.

Since you are in a seriously "thinking of picking up" mood, I will tell you my personal likes and dis likes.

I hate that long magazine box, hate it. The mag box is in the wrong place for carrying that rifle. Backwards safety you can work around but it is not natural if you have been shooting guns with safeties that go forward to go in the "fire" mode.

The CZ's have long leades like most European rifles that use CIP spec vs SAAMI Spec. This CIP spec long leade in conjunction with limited magazine box length is a deal killer for me. The longer leade will be a serious issue 2000 rounds down the road, as bullets will only jump so far before they encounter accuracy issues. Plan ahead.

If you were wanting to do "different", I would consider a Tikka stainless.

Since you are living in the South where humidity is HIGH, rust is an issue, constantly. Stainless is a serious option for you for longevity and low maintenance.

I shoot some pretty hot loads in my 223, 53-55g bullets at 3470 fps. Take a look at the bolt lugs on the CZ vs the Tikka. If you were to go to a gunshop, lay out the bolts of the CZ, Tikka, and Remington 700, you are in for a real shock!

There are no flies on a Remington SPS Stainless in 223, either. The bolt head on the Remington 700 is rated at 150,000 psi, and the Remington has a much shorter leade than any European made gun due to SAAMI Specs.

Consider your options, and the CZ 223 that I had was accurate, but the fact that I could not touch the lands with my bullet when the gun was new, really bugged me. Kinda like starting off on a 300 mile road trip with only 1/4 tank of gas.

If you have the Remington Derangement Syndrome, then seriously look at all things Tikka.

Good luck!

I love seeing all the people, who love their CZ's and so many have more than one.
I just sold a stock to a fellow in New South Wales, Australia.
The CZ are popular there too. After reading Rustydusty words, I own four.
I ask for a format here on CZ's and got shot down. I understand why. It is okay.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

After reading Rustydusty words, I own four

That makes me feel good that you think my words have some merit, Willy!

But honestly, they are such nice rifles! Over the last 40 odd years I have owned quite a few bolt guns of different makes and models and calibers. But those little CZ 527's, starting with my .17 Remington over a decade ago, sure made me really appreciate them for what they are. Love the set triggers, the pretty wood, and the fact that they are accurate as all get out. Had my little .223 American at the range just a few days ago shooting full power .223 loads as well as some reduced loads using Blue Dot powder. No matter what, all my groups stayed around a half inch at 100 yards. I guess that I will have to hang onto this for a while. Funny. I say that about all my CZ rifles. Wonder why that is?
smile.gif

Not to argue with Ackleyman but I had a new CZ Euro Varmint, 1-9 twist, 223 and I could touch the lands with any bullet I tried and still have a safe margin in the case and still fit the mag. Granted, I don't care for the mag or the safety and really didn't like the set trigger either. I've had several CZ's, some shot really well but this last one didn't impress me at all. Mediocre groups at best even after bedding the action so it went down the road and was replaced with a Remington VLS.

Psycodog, since you could touch the lands, they have changed to SAAMI spec for the American market. Early gun that I had along with others had very long leades where you could not touch the lands with a 60g bullet.

I haven't found any cons, the ones I have had have been very accurate, great looking little rifles, synthetic is the craze and I understand that but I still like a nice piece of walnut, I usually use Leupold or Burris rings if the rifle doesn't come with them.

I like the mag...I only wish they made ten rounders. Of course, I only own one boltgun without detachable mags, and that will soon be remedied.

Back