Pretty sure the coyotes were laughing at me............

I did 3 stands on the same property Saturday evening.....

The last ended with darkness..... I never saw anything, never heard a peep....as soon as I packed up to start leaving the area, coyotes were howling all around me from every direction......

I am pretty sure they knew I was there.... and they were laughing at me.... "see'ya sucker"....my 2 cents....the property owner invited me in for a late dinner.... we ate some fantastic Ribs....so it wasn't a total loss!! Hahaha...I'm only hunting 4 properties now..... this is the tip of the iceberg. they own 10s of thousands of acres...like 40-60K acres.....I like these guys and will take it slow and easy. the most difficult part is showing me where the land is...because it's scattered all over the place. I will add a property here and there...as time goes.....these are good people, and they trust me...it's a process...I don't want to put them out to show me because they are my friends. This is the crazy part...in time...I may have private hunting land privileges in Missouri....larger than the state of Rhode Island..LOL

Last edited:
Offer to help them when they will be going to these properties. Helping the land owners whenever you can sure helps them out. You maybe able to do them a favor while they are showing you the new ground.

I help four different ranchers and their families whenever I can. If they call and ask me to help them at 9:00 am quite often I will ask if I can make 3 or 4 calling stands on their property before I meet them at 9:00 am.

Then I help them get the work done and quite often can get in some calling stands after the work is done.

Just checking the water tanks and troughs to make sure the cattle have water while I am calling coyotes can be a big help for the rancher. If I can tell them all the waters looked good they don't have to drive through and check them that day.

I was hunting bean fields..... trying to find a space the beans that weren't too tall! I am hunting big properties...... the nearest tree that I can use as a backstop is a quarter mile away... I sat down in the field........used the beans as cammo...

this is my challenge.... the ground slopes down to the timber. If I sit back more than 100ys.....a coyote can present itself in the treeline and I would never see it. I am not sure if this is the best approach though. of the properties I hunt, the deep woods seem to be on rolling land...and downhill.... if I sit too far back, I will never see the coyotes unless the run into the middle of the field...which I think is bad. I feel like I need to be closer. The coyote i did kill...it ran out into the field, but this is the best case scenario...IMO

The dog I killed...I was sitting in the wide open in the beans..... had a bit of a brush pile behind me, but not much. he came charging out....then turned 90 degrees...worked the wind...I barked at it hoping he would stop..he did..and I blew him up...

Last edited:
the properties I hunt are more farmers than ranchers.... can't imagine they'd ask me to help them farm. I see your point though!! They hate coyotes...and welcome my efforts...so far, for the better or worse! I've only killed 1! I've talked to them about the challenges....they get it.....I am hunting summer heat...and just getting started.

they do have cattle too.... I think they are letting me do my thing for awhile, before sending me to the cattle fields...LOL It's all good.... I'm a veteran and so are two of the land owners... we have a good relationship considering we haven't known each other for long.

This is a fun true story...... I sell lift trucks...and I've sold my share of trucks to farmers that live south of KC.

I went to public land to hunt coyotes on my first attempt...this is a large 7,000 acre conservation area......I scouted the maps, and picked a place to hunt. I expected a blank field, but a farmer was planting in the field. [beeep]??? I thought I was in the correct place, but I wasn't sure.......so I walked 600yds into a field to talk to a guy driving the tractor. I told him who I was and why I was there.... his reply was......"go to my farm and kill them...not here"....after the offer......we got to talking more..... I sold lift-trucks to both his brother and cousin....now I am in is back yard picking sweet corn. I was just eating BBQ ribs at his house till 11pm after a hunt just this past Saturday night.....good stuff... they treat me like family!

this is how I fell into access to hunting private land....with potential for 30k-40K acres....the only reason I don't have access to more is because they own so much land, it becomes a challenge sit down with me to choose the properties..and the boundaries.

Last edited:
sounds like you need to invest in either some plat maps or onX so that YOU can find all the land they own without their help.

It really does no good to call coyotes in situations where you don't have the odds in your favor to get them killed when they come to the call. By doing stands where the odds are low is only going to make them harder to kill later in the season. SO, may I suggest waiting for the crops to be harvested and then hunt those spots where you then will at least be able to see them if and when they come to the call.

Quote:this is my challenge.... the ground slopes down to the timber. If I sit back more than 100ys.....a coyote can present itself in the treeline and I would never see it. I am not sure if this is the best approach though. of the properties I hunt, the deep woods seem to be on rolling land...and downhill.... if I sit too far back, I will never see the coyotes unless the run into the middle of the field...which I think is bad. I feel like I need to be closer. The coyote i did kill...it ran out into the field, but this is the best case scenario

100 yards is good; just has to be the right 100 yards. Different terrain down here, but I often hunt places I can't see over 100 yds. OTOH, here is a somewhat similar "edge" that you describe (along the river bordering open field).

39140046901_f2895760f2_o.jpg

Arrow is wind direction and points to call. Rifle pointed toward a hogwire fence crossing 200 yards across the pasture. We are sitting in edge of a strip of brush similar to the one directly across the pasture. Over the years have shot a number of coyotes as they come in from neighboring ranch.

Put your call out in the field to draw coyote out of brush. Pick a curve in brush where you can sit and see down the brush line. Have seen many coyotes step out of brush just far enough to present a shot. WATCH YOUR WIND! I like to set call up cross wind.

39002381700_0e6c2a4705_n.jpg
39001181370_9cc01af282_n.jpg

Another example of "edge" setups. White arrow pointing toward call and shows primary wind direction. Light breeze was fishtailing a bit. We had called coyotes out of the brush line to the left between our location and the corner several times over the years. Terrain is rolling,with a ridge where the sparse tree line runs L>R (about 150 yds. IIRC). White star shows where coyote appeared, looking toward the call (a bit over 500 yards). He wanted to come but couldn't get up the nerve to step clear of the safety of the brush until I switched to coyote pup distress.

That shook him loose and he trotted along the edge of the brush until he disappeared behind the ridge described above; later to appear along the left hand brush line. You can barely make out the coyote at the close end of the red line (his final resting place).

Never say always or never, but this is classic coyote behavior. Peek out of brush to assess situation, either fade back into brush, or follow brush to approach the call.

Look for SnowmanMo's recent posts in which he lays out his setups on satelite photos of terrain.

Sounds like you are setting up a little "empire" for future hunts. With properties scattered as you describe, you might benefit from google earth to help you pick out likely setups at the various properties.

Regards,
hm

It's great to have you all for a resource... thank you for your input! good stuff! I'm taking it slow and easy for now expanding to different properties.

I've even door knocked... this is difficult in this area because many properties have no house, or the land owner lives elsewhere....getting directions to the land owners house is difficult in the "sticks". Many are owned by the family I know, but I'm waiting till later in the year to expand....once harvest happens, I will discuss new locations. I don't want to press the cattle properties until I establish my reputation as being reliable and safe.

Ditto on the maps. Just go to the county court house, depending on what map you want some are free. The will have property owners name on them.

As mentioned also above, I would no be educating coyotes right now. Beans around me on the Kansas side of the river are any where from 2-4' tall. Plenty high and thick enough for a truck load of dogs to stand at look at you in heavy cover.
I would be more inclined to hunt mowed pasture and hay fields than row crop.

Originally Posted By: jshDitto on the maps. Just go to the county court house, depending on what map you want some are free. The will have property owners name on them.

As mentioned also above, I would no be educating coyotes right now. Beans around me on the Kansas side of the river are any where from 2-4' tall. Plenty high and thick enough for a truck load of dogs to stand at look at you in heavy cover.
I would be more inclined to hunt mowed pasture and hay fields than row crop.

Are you remotely near KC? I'm trying to focus on hayfields and pastures since the beans got too tall.....I do travel...to an extent if you arent too far. I'd like to hunt some dogs with a fellow coyote hunter....I am learning solo so far... where are you in Kansas??...if you don't mind me asking. I'm not as bad as my posts suggest..LOL...I am close to being a deadly coyote assassin! hahaha

Last edited:
Guys are giving you great suggestions. Definitely need mapping. I like onX Hunt. For $30 bucks a year you get all the mapping you need right on your phone or iPad. It really opened up a lot more property for me when I could see all the properties the farmers owned & I didn't have to keep inquiring as to there different locations.

If it's legal to night hunt try that. You don't need to hide, darkness is your friend.

Don't hunt the spot if you can't see them coming in & be able to see & shoot downwind !!!

KS ASCS Offices

Check here for county maps, I think they run about $30/county. You may have to go to the local office to buy the map and last I heard it was cash only.

If you're talking to someone that's got 30 to 40,000 acres I don't think I'd push my luck, work it in whenever the opportunity presents itself. That's a metric sh**load of ground anywhere, especially in that part of KS.

You'll actually have to go into the local office to get the map. I just tried it online and can't find any useable maps. FYI I wasn't the Valedictorian of my class!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
One thing I cannot stand is a laughing coyote!!!!

Haha...I was serious!

Even hunting private land....I will need to consider mapping apps because this will help make it easier for the landowner to offer more properties. This is on my radar......any way I can make it easy for them to say......."go here...go there"....this is a huge help. They own properties all over the place.........................

ps....I am pretty sure those dogs were laughing at me.... we were all close enough.....they made me...

Last edited:
Definitely pursue the mapping apps. The maps that I was referring to are state issued property maps showing ground with satellite pictures which show property lines/Ownership on the map.

Over where you're hunting and can't see more than 1/2 mile due to trees, my advice may be null and void. But I hope it helps and good luck to you.

Thanks subpaR....I've even downloaded public land apps before...but never fully committed. on a weekend, I'd drive out to hays to kill dogs.....

I hope to meet up with members to learn at some point. My son is busy so this limits my travel, but I can travel if my son isn't bowling. He's a teen that competes nationally and bowls in tourneys most weeks....but not all! LOL

Back