Thermal/ Night Vision Info Request

Pa. Mick

Thermal / Night Vision Info Request
I'm looking for information on how night vision equipment is working out in your state.
1. Has there been any problems for any law enforcement ?
2. Has poaching increased ?
3. Has there been any hunters or others shot because of this equipment ?
4. Pros & cons

I would appreciate references to articles that would help me as I'm trying to get the laws & rules changed to allow Pennsylvania hunters to use this equipment. Feel free to PM me. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated !
Thanks
Mick

Mick,
Your best bet will be to contact the state Game Dept's directly for accurate information.
What you will get here will be a lot of second hand "he said, she said" that will require a lot of followup on your part to separate fact from fiction.
If you want to contact the Virginia Game Dept. the # is 1-804-367-1000.

I’m not sure if your looking for facts or opinions for your research. I know in this area of the country nightvision and especially thermal is becoming quite popular. I have heard that some people are using it in their “hunting” of big deer. Personally I think poachers are going to poach whether nightvision was allowed for coyotes or not and I think they’d still poach even if they didn’t have nv. When there are 5 cpo’s for 11 counties as there are here it’s going to be hard to catch them. If your looking for actual written data I don’t have any but I do know that some guys are using it to poach. I can only assume that they used spotlights or car lights before they got nv though.

Mick,

There's a large Facebook group pushing this issue now. If you're not a member, join up. From what I've heard from a PPHA member is that this is going to be considered this year. Like most things, it seems the politicians stand in the way of everything when it comes to Pennsylvania game laws. The PAGC, as far as I know, don't have a problem legalizing thermal and NV.

Thanks # 1 ! That will help. Looking for facts not opinions.
Thanks weekender.
Flesh Eater, near as I can tell there is not a large organization representing predator hunters here in Pa. I have done the needed research up till this point to see what needs done to make this happen. I'm just compiling more info if needed. If others are moving forward too, that's a plus .

Again thanks for the help guys !

Mick,

The PPHA is probably the largest group representing predator hunters in PA. If you're not already a member, you should sign up. They've also been pushing thermal and NV.

The thermal and NV group on Facebook has almost 600 members. It's called Pennsylvania Thermal and NV Enthusiasts. They're making a lot of head way in getting these items legalized for hunting in PA.

A lot of the groups now are seemingly pushing to end the legislative control of the PA game laws, and fighting to put it back in the hands of the PAGC. The game commission is NOT against the use of thermal and NV. But, the whole legal process is holding up any major changes to PA game law. It's an unnecessary process.

Just an update : After speaking with my state representative, this is moving along slowly as I expected but is real close to being submitted as a bill. Everything sounds positive so far. I will post the bill # when I hear from him in the future.

Back