Shwacker broadheads

pyscodog

Are they all they claim to be? Wally World has some 150 grain, which is the weight I shoot in my Excaliber, and they have a 3" cut. HOLY SHITZ, that should be just plain nasty! Thinking about buying some for the upcoming season.

3” exit. If you get one, entry hole will be a lot smaller. I dont like the design of them.

I hope you have a lot of kinetic energy with your crossbow.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 2233” exit. If you get one, entry hole will be a lot smaller. I dont like the design of them.

+1... With that, I'm not a fan of any expandable broadhead. I like cut on contact and clean exits that leak blood.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Widow maker 2233” exit. If you get one, entry hole will be a lot smaller. I dont like the design of them.

+1... With that, I'm not a fan of any expandable broadhead. I like cut on contact and clean exits that leak blood.

Zwickeys and Magnus always worked well for me.

I usually shoot Slick Tricks, 150 grain. I did buy a pack of three. Gonna see how they fly out of my Excaliber before I decide. I watched a few videos and they seemed better than the majority of expendables. I know my Slick Tricks work so its not a definite. Just for the record...I've never been a big fan of expandables either. It was just something new to try.....and spend money on. LOL

My friends wife uses 100 grain nap spitfires with her 10 point recurve crossbow. Out of 17 or 18 deer only one made it out of sight before dropping. I shoot slicktrick off my regular bow but used the spitfire with my cross bow last year. They leave a wicked big hole.
Justin

Any sharp broadhead through both lungs and/or the heart is a dead critter. Broadheads that have been around for several seasons generally have performance qualities that sustain sales. Shoot what your setup likes, and know your equipments limitations.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWell, back to my Slick Tricks. The Shwackers cost me a good doe. No more mechanical heads for me....ever!!

Lost due to what? Just curious.

Good solid broadside shot at 25yards. It might have been a little farther back than I would preferred, but still a good hit. Watched her run off with about 4inchs of bolt sticking out the side of her. Very little blood, four hours tracking her then the blood trail stopped and no recovery. And yes, I know how to shoot a crossbow and yes I have tracked many deer. Not many of them were mine though. In all my archery hunting with primitive, recurves and longbows, compounds and now a cross bow, I've only lost two deer. Both were using mechanical broadheads. At 25-30yards, my Slick Tricks would have blown completely through her. I don't think the Shwackers did. I also believe thats why there wasn't much blood. Don't mean to sound grumpy but I don't like shooting deer and not finding them.

I agree. I don't like losing animals either. Doesn't matter what kind.
I don't archery hunt but do own a bow. Also picked up a bunch of 100 gr 2 1/4 cut schwacker arrowheads as well. That's why I asked.

I can't totally blame the broadheads but the ones I was using were 150 grain with a 3" cutting radius. I didn't think anything would survive a wound like that. I'm sure she probably died from the wound but losing a good deer really upsets me. I been PO'ed all day over it. I shot a doe last year with the Slick Tricks and she never took a step. Maybe just a real lucky shot but she was DRT. I hear coyotes got to eat to, but they can fend for themselves during deer season.

Was obviously a gutshot. With a double lung she wouldn’t have made it 100yds. With a cut like that you should be shooting a extremely heavy bolt to maintain momentum. Did you wait to start tracking her if ghe shot was a little back?

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Widow maker 2233” exit. If you get one, entry hole will be a lot smaller. I dont like the design of them.

Amen to that ! I would never consider using an expandable broadhead

We waited about 45 minutes before we started tracking. My crossbow shoots a 410 grain bolt at 305 FPS. Not saying it was or wasn't a gut shot but from my tree stand it looked like a pretty solid hit.And I have seen deer with a double lung shot run a long long ways before going down. But I didn't post this to start a debate on how far a deer will run. I posted because I have lost all faith in mechanical heads.

I hadn't shot a mechanical/expandable type broadhead in probably 10 years. My hunting partner killed a doe last year using similar heads, and when I saw them in Wally World it actually took several times looking at them before I finally bought them. In the past, I have ALWAYS used a fixed head, Muzzy, Zwickey, Thunderheads, something along that line.I won't say that expandables aren't good or bad, they just won't be on my arrows/bolts anymore.

ANY mechanical broadhead head is inferior to a good quality fixed blade head in ALMOST every way. They were created so people didn't have to have a properly tuned bow and because some people like "gadgets".

I have seen and had bad things happen with expandables. I have also seen amazing kills with them. That said I will never use them again myself. I to have gone to slick tricks and haven't left an arrow in a a animal with them including the last two elk I shot. One at 55 yards and one at 17 yards. The one at 55 went thru both shoulders and blew clear thru shooting 47 lbs. It was the year after all my surgeries and I couldn't pull much draw weight. Made a believer out of me. I had a friend two years ago shoot an elk with a 2 blade rage at about 25 yards. The elk was perfectly broadside and made a great shot right behind the shoulder. We trailed the elk for about two miles and finally he got another arrow in it and finished it off. The first arrow had gone in and turned almost 90 degrees and went along the inside of the rib almost to the hindquarter. What should have been a short blood trail ended up being a 6 hour tracking job and we were luck to be able to find and finish off the wounded elk. I would have said the elk turned at the shot of something else happened if I hadn't witness it. I was calling and had a front row seat the the shot. I have stayed away from expandables sense then.

drscott

Back