357 magnum reloading 158 gr. Hornady

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

Was looking at the honady website. The hornady custom 158 grain xtp from a 8 inch barrel is rated at only 1250 fps. But hodgdons site says up to 1580 with there powder from a 10 inch barrel with max reloads with h110. But buffalo bore loads a 158 grain at 1457 from a 5 inch barrel. So 6 inch would get you 1550 or so. My question is how do they get so much speed from there round and still keep safe psi. levels?? Any idea of what powder they use?? I know some people have said that sammi has reduced the max power of 357 because of all this light weight revolver freenzy with a big caliber. So does double tap abd buffalo bore go higher then sammi specs??

hornady may only load its ammo to a set load so that its usable in *ANY* revolver.

company's like buffalo bore specialize in high power loads - often referred to as +P or +P+, etc.

they can be safely fired in many firearms, but not all. for example there are loads for 44 mag that are only suitable for strong frame firearms like the super redhawk, etc.

another prime example - although not pistol - is the .45/70 for which you will typically find 3 different sets of reloading data for in manuals - loads for older trap door rifles (25,000 c.u.p - 325 ftx @ 1600 fps), 1895 marlin actions (40,000 c.u.p - 325 ftx @2100 fps), and high power modern actions like the Ruger #1, Browning 78, etc (50,000 c.u.p - 350gr interlock @ 2200 fps).

its your responsibility to know what type of ammo your peticular firearm is capable of SAFELY handling and to not use the incorrect stuff in it.

increased pressure does not always = increased velocity, although there is usually a correlation, so you can roughly gauge relative pressure by looking at a loads FPS. obviously different powders can produce similar pressures and different velocity, or similar velocities and different pressures.

but again, as reloaders this is why we test loads for our firearms based on a working knowledge of its normal safe operating range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanWA Coyote Hunter, what kind of pistol are you shooting?

158's for deer, self defense, coyotes? 158 xtp is a really tough bullet.

I am shooting a Brand new Ruger gp100 7 shot, 6 inch barrel just barely bought it. New gun, new to reloading. lots of new!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterSince im new to reloading, i dont plan on pushing those maximum loads.

Always good thinking there!

Some 80 years ago the original 357 mag factory loads were hotter than the hubs of Hades. Shooting a gas checked 158 grain lead bullet at a genuine 1500 fps. No SAAMI in those days you know. Today, book max loads are still right on up there, but a good strong gun like that Ruger of yours will handle them with aplomb. No worries.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterSince im new to reloading, i dont plan on pushing those maximum loads.

Always good thinking there!

Some 80 years ago the original 357 mag factory loads were hotter than the hubs of Hades. Shooting a gas checked 158 grain lead bullet at a genuine 1500 fps. No SAAMI in those days you know. Today, book max loads are still right on up there, but a good strong gun like that Ruger of yours will handle them with aplomb. No worries.

Thanks for the info buddy! Dave

Back