viper HS or nikon black 1000

I had the viper. After it broke too I sent it back and sold it and all my other vortex. Because they had all broke too. I’ve never had a Nikon scope but my Nikon bino’s were my favorite for quite a while.

Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougI a similar price range offering similar features with superior quality may I suggest a Burris, Leupold or an Athlon?

I am having trouble again with the burris scope so I am staying away from them.. I read a lot of good reviews about Athlon scopes though.. I have couple leupolds.. And some Nikons.. My Nikons and lupys are really good glass.. I am looking to stay 20 and under zoom.. Never had a vortex and just checking around here..
Thank you.. Dan

You didn’t ask about it but I got a sightron STAC and love it. Metal internals, glass etched reticle, Japanese glass that keeps clear at 16 power and side parallax adjustment. No zero stop but you can zero the turrets. The newer STAC is way more expensive but even better.

I know you did not talk about sightron , but I have 4 sightron lll 10-50x60 scopes. I bought 3 of them used. All life time warranty. I don’t think you could find a better scope for the money. The 8-32x56 scopes are very nice to. They have different reticles. Not cheap but will worth the money excellent turrets. Marty

I have had the Nikon BLACK X1000 4-16x50 SF Matte X-MOA (non-illuminated) for about a year and have been very happy with it. It has excellent clarity and low light performance. Tracks well and has held its zero with no issues. Turrets are a little mushy, but no complaints for a $500 scope.

Originally Posted By: AZDesertThunderI have had the Nikon BLACK X1000 4-16x50 SF Matte X-MOA (non-illuminated) for about a year and have been very happy with it. It has excellent clarity and low light performance. Tracks well and has held its zero with no issues. Turrets are a little mushy, but no complaints for a $500 scope.

I zeroed in one of the illuminated ones for a friend last week, and I got the same impression. It seemed well worth the price to me.
thumbup1.gif

Has anyone who has one or used able to check at 300 yards+.. Yes for 500$ it is a nice scope.. I haven't called Nikon yet about my scope issue.. But will when I take the scope off to replace with a lower power scope for hunting.. Its holding zero but my 1/4 clicks are 3 inches at 300 yards.. Dan

Originally Posted By: dan158Has anyone who has one or used able to check at 300 yards+.. Yes for 500$ it is a nice scope.. I haven't called Nikon yet about my scope issue.. But will when I take the scope off to replace with a lower power scope for hunting.. Its holding zero but my 1/4 clicks are 3 inches at 300 yards.. Dan

Now that you mention it,the one I zeroed seemed to move the impact more than I/4 inch per click at 100 yards. It was on a hard kicking semi auto so I just wrote it off as us dodging the recoil a little bit.
I’ll get to shoot it at 300 yards next week so I’ll pay closer attention then.

I like Nikon. I have several and never had any issues. I had an Athlon and the glass was pretty clear but its clunky to me. It was illuminated and you couldn't turn the dial by hand, seriously! You had to use pliers to switch it on and off. Also didn't really care for the FFP but that's not the scopes fault. I think the Nikon Black might be next on my list.

I've had my Black X1000 4-16 MOA non-illuminated on a .223 AR for a bit over a year now and have had no real complaints. I too noticed the slightly mushy turrets and thought the clicks were moving more than 1/4 at a time, but it did seem repeatable.

The ballistic hash marks seem to line up well with a .223 and helped my take a coyote at 325yds last January.

My only issue has been hunting at night with a green light. I sometimes find the reticle to be a little hard to see.
I'm thinking of buying another one for my 22 Nos.

I have 3 Zeiss scopes a HD5-25x50mm and 2 V6 5-30x50mm and they have given me nothing but success in the field . Squirrels and Prairie Dogs hate them .

Back