help me choose, 16" or 20" DPMS GII 243

wheel10

I'm going to buy a GII 243 from DPMS really soon. I see they have come out with a 16" version now which is under 7lbs. Help me decide which to go with. Probably 55-70 grain bullets. Will muzzle report be an issue with the 16"? Velocity gain/lost doesn't bother me a bunch, probably 125fps difference between the 2. I'm open to all opinions. Thanks

I looked at the site and I can't see they offer a 243, I see they offer a 243 but its in the older standard configuration. am I wrong? if I am they haven't updated their website. beyond that DPMS is a freedom group company and frankly the company has been ran like crap. the DPMS gen 2 rifles haven't been easy to come by still after all this time in stores. if they do offer a 243 good luck finding one. I would think they would do 6.5 creed first, before offering 243. both those sound more interesting than boring 308.

you didn't ask about it but honestly what I would do is give mike a call and get dtech to roll up a 243 WSSM. WSSM brass seems like its here to stay. you get to pick your handguard of choice. and use your regular AR 15, lower.

Buds has the hunter 243 in stock and grabagun.com has the compact hunter in stock. It seems DPMS must have just sent out a delivery of them because a month ago I wasn't seeing them. As far as the WSSM, I already have hundreds of 243 win brass, and the dies and everyone in my family shoots 243 so there will never be a shortage. We've tried handloading 223 WSSM and that didn't go well. I have heard good things about DTECH but doubt I could get a 7 or 8lb complete build for $1050 from him. I think I'm leaning to the 20 for now.

Thanks again

Originally Posted By: GLShooterYo put it in dollar terms. Your audiologist will love you when you get that short one running.

Greg
He nailed it !

Originally Posted By: GLShooterYo put it in dollar terms. Your audiologist will love you when you get that short one running.

Greg

what?

lol.gif
lol.gif

Take a serious look at Rock River, they have a LAR8 in 243, that’s on my list of my next AR. The rifle is $2,000 though, but I have 2 other Rock River AR15’s, and I am 110% happy with them both.

Sorry I didn’t see your post that you bought the dpms.

Last edited:
I love rock river, but at 1.5 pounds heavier it lost out. Received it the DPMS today and I really like it. They are now coming with a threaded barrel for suppressor which was a nice surprise. It feels lighter than all my AR15s except for a 16" that I built as lightweight as I could. Hopefully it shoots

Originally Posted By: wheel10I love rock river, but at 1.5 pounds heavier it lost out. Received it the DPMS today and I really like it. They are now coming with a threaded barrel for suppressor which was a nice surprise. It feels lighter than all my AR15s except for a 16" that I built as lightweight as I could. Hopefully it shoots

So this is the 20” g2 hunter model with carbon fiber Forend and skeleton stock, and it’s threaded 5/8”x24?

Purchased from buds?

all correct except for the skeleton stock. The picture is incorrect on buds website. its a magpul stock. I'll probably replace it with the lightweight ace stock and shed about 9 oz. I put it on the scale and its just under 8 lbs with an unloaded mag; lighter than my 20 practical and about the same as my 6WOA. Trigger is nothing special but it'll do. Looking forward to getting on the range. Don't know if I'll use it as my night gun or not yet. Currently I use my 20 practical because its the most accurate gun I've ever shot and for some reason the 35 bergers create more bang/flops than the 6WOA but its a bit of a tank.

Back