shotshell reloading! anyone use the LEE LOAD-ALL II

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

I am looking at getting a shotshell reloader also. I am thinking the LEE LOAD-ALL II as a starter press. Just wondering if anyone has used one and is it worth it to purchase? Thanks Dave

Originally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterI am looking at getting a shotshell reloader also. I am thinking the LEE LOAD-ALL II as a starter press. Just wondering if anyone has used one and is it worth it to purchase? Thanks Dave

I had one many years ago and it worked as advertised...
But it was really slow.
If you’re going to load up some hunting ammo it would be good for that. But if you’re going to load up ammo for any kind of volume shooting a progressive of some type would probably be a better choice.

I use a Mec 600. Its not the fastest but it works good. It takes me about 8 minutes to load 25 rounds once I get a rhythm going and don't forget to rotate the machine to the next station. Then it slows me down cause I have to clean up my mess. They're relatively cheap and easy to use. I got mine for free.

Note-Actually the machine doesn't move. You move the shell station to station.

Last edited:
If you live close to any Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays ranges put up a "wanted to buy Mec 600 Jr or Sizemaster" card on the wall.

If you look around you should be able to buy a good used Mec for about half as much as the new ones sell for.

I own a MEC progressive. Personally, unless you have a ton of spare time, I wouldn't mess with a non-progressive press...and even then the utility is limited. Unless you shoot competition and REALLY care, it is not cost effective to reload vs buying target ammo. But if you REALLY care, you can load better ammo for close to the same cost.

I have used mine to load 1-5/8oz #5 hunting loads...but my upland hunting is limited. The big run I did a decade ago has not been shot out. I'm tempted to pull the press to free bench space as it hasn't run in 10 years.

Like the other guys have said get a MEC. I have a couple 600’s one is set up for each of my SXS in 12, 16, 20 and 28 ga with an extra set of .410 load set. If you watch eBay you can find pretty good deals on them. They last forever. My 12 ga press is the same on I remember helping my dad and grandpa load up shells before they went out pheasant hunting. And the same one I grew up reloading my shells the night before a hunt. If you get a mec do get the universal charge bar. Kind of a pain to figure out but once you do I have found them to be very consistent dropping powder and easier than buying a bunch of charge bars and bushings. You can also fine tune it easier-better than drilling out bushings.

I have a Mec Grabber for loading all of my loads for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. I like shooting 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads so I don't plan on quitting loading my own target shells.

I use my Mec 600 Junior for most of my hunting loads. I even figured out how to load and crimp 3-1/2" 12 ga shells on my 600 Jr and then touching up the crimp a little better on my Mec Grabber.

Most of my denser than lead 2-3/4" and 3" hunting loads I weigh the shot and powder charges and then use my Mec 600 JR to crimp the shells.

I think it is a good idea to start out with a Mec 600 JR or a Sizemaster and then if you want to load more shells quicker get a Mec progressive loader.

I had to wait and watch for a little while, not too long but took about six weeks of watching I think, to find a good used Mec here locally. Ended up getting a barely used Sizemaster with a stand for $70.

But I only load coyote stuff and for that, all I use are new primed hulls and I weigh and pour the shot and powder by hand, so all I actually use the press for is crimping.

- DAA

I used a Lee load all,back when lead was still waterfowl legal, I could make ammo that patterned much better than factory. I have been hoping the tss would drop in price so I could play around with it. For upland hunting I do not think it is worth the time to load lead for hunting. If I shot a high volume sport I would go with a progressive press.

I was given a couple of 12ga Lee Loadal II's and bought a second hand one in 16ga, all have been given away and now I have Mec 600's in 20, 16, and 12. the last two were 12's I bought for $25 each at yard sales and the twenty I paid $50 for, one of the 12's I converted to 16ga and have both the 16 and 12 set up to load 2 1/2" shells for my old sxs's.

My "X" father in law loaded all his trap ammo for his wife and him on a MEC 250. My "X" and I shot a little more and worn out a PW 800B.. Since I quit shooting competitively(up to five nights a week) the MEC 600's covers all my hunting and SC shoot. I have them on interchangeable bases so I can swap them out as needed.

I'd like to get into shotshell reloading to develop some coyote loads that are better than #4 buck. Appreciate you guys sharing the info on what is really the best way to go for a new reloader.

Originally Posted By: MatlockI'd like to get into shotshell reloading to develop some coyote loads that are better than #4 buck. Appreciate you guys sharing the info on what is really the best way to go for a new reloader.

For reloading coyote loads about all you need a loader for is to crimp the shells.

I weigh both the powder and shot charges when reloading 12 ga coyote loads.

BPI sells lead BBB and lead T shot and both of these shot sizes will get the job done on coyotes and the pellet count will be much higher than lead number 4 buck.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: MatlockI'd like to get into shotshell reloading to develop some coyote loads that are better than #4 buck. Appreciate you guys sharing the info on what is really the best way to go for a new reloader.

For reloading coyote loads about all you need a loader for is to crimp the shells.

I weigh both the powder and shot charges when reloading 12 ga coyote loads.

BPI sells lead BBB and lead T shot and both of these shot sizes will get the job done on coyotes and the pellet count will be much higher than lead number 4 buck.

Yep I bought a lee load all at a bent and dent place a few years ago for $30. All I ever load on it is squirrel, crow and turkey loads. And all i use it for is to crimp

Back