shotgun for yotes

Originally Posted By: tnshootistOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: tnshootistBut like you it's been factory stuff at close range.Buy a box of shells,drop one in and shoot.Again not in the same league.

again you talk out your rear end. you have no clue sunshine. no clue.

OK Snot.Have it your way.
You know everything.Done everything.Been everywhere.Seen it all.

yet again more talk out your rear end. i never been to the moon, i never jumped out of a plane with a parachute and i have no idea what trump had for breakfast this morning.

i do know what is possible and what is highly not possible with big lead shot. which you obviously have no clue of. keep watching those youtube videos though. you are becoming quite the expert yourself.

Originally Posted By: greengt88

First, the video you linked is a turkey load and not a coyote load. We'll go with it anyway because it's a good example of how bad a shotgun can suck at 100 yards. That turkey shot load launched roughly 300 #5 lead pellets at the turkey head/neck target. The guys in the video counted six hits, no matter where they struck. Reality is that only exactly ONE pellet actually hit the vertebrae and was in a vital zone. The scratch hits around the edges for the other five hits would present less of a threat to the turkey than catching a cold would. Studies long ago settled on a minimum of at least 5-6 pellets penetrating the vertebrae or skull to reliably KO a gobbler. The video only scored one solid hit. They only shot one shot for their "test." Not good enough, there are ten shells in the box and all ten shots should have been recorded on clean targets for a better result. Wonder why they only showed one shot? Hummmm...

A long held standard to ensure enough pattern density to get at least the minimum hits necessary was to achieve 100 pellet strikes in 10" at point of aim. When the pattern thinned to the point that less than 90 - 100 pellets could be counted in the 10" that was the maximum range for that rig in the field. Good lead turkey guns will get 150+ hits in 10" @ 40 yards. My Benelli M1 Turkey Model with Kick's choke gets about 170 hits consistently with the old school 3" 1 3/4 ounce Winchester Supreme lead #5 @ 40 yards. That's pretty dang good with lead and it does better with tungsten but that's a different topic. I've killed gobblers stone dead at 52 yards with that #5 Winchester lead shell. Not on purpose mind you, I misjudged the range in a wide open field. I never planned on shooting over 45 yards knowing the penetration of lead #5's. So the load worked fine at a little over my self imposed range limit, but no way would I ever double the range. There is an issue some fail to recognize, or refuse to recognize. The relatively new Winchester lead load featured in the video that is stickied together in the wad patterns even better than the older lead loads.

Here is the issue some don't or won't recognize. That great patterning lead load now raised a new problem. The load patterned well enough to stretch the range, but it's still just a lead load with lead pellets. Remember, we need a half dozen pellets striking bone (vertebrae and skull) AND penetrating enough to reliably break those bones! Penetrating half of a piece of fruit doesn't cut it. Forever knowledgeable turkey hunters ruled lead shot #6 good to 40 yards with enough hits, #5's a bit further and #4's a tad farther yet. However, the larger the shot the more pattern density suffered. Especially so at longer ranges. A good compromise in lead was always #5 shot. Lead #5's are what they are and can only break bone so far away. In the video that looked like about 3/4" of fruit penetration at 100 yards. Not nearly enough, soft fruit isn't hard bone like neck vertebrae. That load in the video is fantastic under 55 yards. At 100 yards? No way, the video is fantasy and hyperbole. In other words, bullchit.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: tnshootistOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: tnshootistBut like you it's been factory stuff at close range.Buy a box of shells,drop one in and shoot.Again not in the same league.

again you talk out your rear end. you have no clue sunshine. no clue.

OK Snot.Have it your way.
You know everything.Done everything.Been everywhere.Seen it all.

yet again more talk out your rear end. i never been to the moon, i never jumped out of a plane with a parachute and i have no idea what trump had for breakfast this morning.

i do know what is possible and what is highly not possible with big lead shot. which you obviously have no clue of. keep watching those youtube videos though. you are becoming quite the expert yourself.

Well I have your word for that don't I.

I don't give a flip one way or the other about shotguns. I'll keep my opinion about shotguns to myself.

The thing is nobody needs to be so rude and so quick to call people lairs.
Don't you know that.If you care enough to call a man a lair you should be face to face.
There has been times when all manners of fun has been made of things people have said and it just so happens that every word was true.

Nobody knows everything there is to know about anything. There is always more to learn.

Penetration of commonly used coyote shot sizes...

Let's look at plated lead shot BB penetration. At 40 yards the average depth of penetration through calibrated gel in this video link below is only 7". No fur, no hide, no bone. How deep is a coyotes chest side to side? Small desert 25 pound coyotes vs. large furred out 45 pound specimens, right? I'd bet 7" is a decent general measuring stick for penetration. Thing about shooting coyotes with shotguns is that fur, hide, bone breaking ability and hard angles all count. Those of us that have shot coyotes with BB size shot have long said about 40 yards was the maximum distance for BB. The BB size pellet is about .18 caliber and lead pellets of that size weigh about 8.5 grains each.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smJRQHss26w

No. Four Buckshot is .24 caliber and weighs about 21 grains per lead pellet. Average penetration in this gel test at 40 yards was 11". No. Four Buck has long been a reliable coyote killer from about any angle as far away as you can hold your pattern together. If you can hit a coyote with 5 - 6 No. Four Buck in the right places he's yours. Patterns really count.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3VTk_7884r8

The relevant question is, can 1A's T shot do what he claims? Can a lead T pellet penetrate completely through on broadside chest hits at 100 yards? T size shot is .20 caliber and lead pellets weigh about 12 grains. T shot is obviously closer to BB than No. Four Buck. Unfortunately there are no good videos I could find of lead T shot. Probably because there aren't any good lead T shot factory loads. The claim here was made that multiple lead T shot pellets penetrates completely through coyotes broadside at 107 yards. I don't see that happening with any consistency. Could an odd pellet strike between ribs, penetrate fur and hide, penetrate both lungs, miss ribs on the opposite side and again penetrate hide and fur going out? Maybe the magic pellet. Multiple pellets doing that consistently, I don't think so.

Can 1A shoot the patterns he claims? Take STS up on his challenge offer and prove it. The challenge is easy and fair. Or crawdad... waiting.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

Seems appropriate!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: greengt88

According to KPY Shotshell Ballistics you need 1.50" of gel penetration to reliably kill large ducks.

1200 fps lead #5 shot gets 0.57" of gel penetration at 100 yards and the speed is down to 330 fps at 100 yards.

If you could get a great pattern at 60 yards with 1200 fps lead #5 shot, that may work for killing turkeys.

1200 fps lead #5 shot gets 1.32" of gel penetration at 60 yards and the speed is down to 533 fps at 60 yards.

50 yards and less would be even better for lead #5 shot on turkeys.

Evidently the several supporters of 1A and/or theorist that believed the whole thing was possible or effective disappeared or suddenly are having internet connection problems. Be it BB or #5 shot. I found this thread educational on many levels.

When I could legally use lead T shot for shooting coyotes I probable killed 50 to 80 coyotes with 2-3/4" 1-1/2 oz loads of lead T shot.

I don't remember seeing any exit holes on the 20 to 35 pound coyotes that I shot with lead T shot and almost all of them were shot at under 45 yards away.

A 1410 fps 1-1/4 oz 2-3/4" lead load would be a very fast load. A 2-3/4" 1-1/2 oz lead load at 1410 fps I don't think is possible at under the Max pressure of 11,500 psi.

Originally Posted By: GCEvidently the several supporters of 1A and/or theorist that believed the whole thing was possible or effective disappeared or suddenly are having internet connection problems. Be it BB or #5 shot. I found this thread educational on many levels.

I believed. I just don’t care enough to let it effect my day. Does have me wanting a shotgun so I’m taking it as a plus.

Back