Slow Poke Coyote

DoubleUp

I thought some of you might be interested in the comparison between what the digital NV scopes see, in this case a Photon 6.5XT compared to what a Thermal sees, in this case a Pulsar XD50A.

It's been very wet here and haven't been out much. Last night we called a field where we've had excellent results in the past. We're in small soybeans planted behind wheat and have corn to the north and west. We actually had two coyotes respond from the SE but they refused to cross into the field we were in. The dirt road must have been their boundary line. We also had two more to the NE that we heard and could just barely see on thermal about 800 yds. out. They were on our downwind and didn't come any closer. This one finally came from the NW out of the corn after 50 minutes of calling. My hunting buddy made a nice DRT shop on her.

Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

This video illustrates what I dislike about NV for coyotes. Without eye-shine, you wouldn't even know that coyote was there. Coyotes like to circle and when they do and you lose that eye-shine, good luck...

Nice video.....92 days until season here
bored.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not sure whether my buddy had his 850nm IR light at full power. One thing that happened, he couldn't tell if he killed the coyote because he couldn't see him fall from the whiteout. There was very little wind, so nothing to blow away the temporary whiteout from the IR and smoke plume.

Very nice video. Congrats !!!
Well that just makes choices that much harder. The majority of the guys recommend NV over thermal for shooting to have a positive ID but from that video I think I would choose the thermal.

The decision for these choices are hopefully in the near future for me. So I'm open for :

Suggestions ? Opinions ?

My hunting buddy has a new Pulsar N355 coming in this week. I'm sure we'll post some video of it under hunting conditions. I too would like to be able to make a comparison to the new RT's. I have a suppressor in jail currently and am interested to see if it dampens the "whiteout" from the IR and smoke at the shot. Probably be Christmas or after before I get the suppressor though.

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickVery nice video. Congrats !!!
Well that just makes choices that much harder. The majority of the guys recommend NV over thermal for shooting to have a positive ID but from that video I think I would choose the thermal.

The decision for these choices are hopefully in the near future for me. So I'm open for :

Suggestions ? Opinions ?

The only trouble I have ever had with thermal identifying is a coyote facing me. Once he gets a little side ways it is all over. There are very few times that it will be hard when they are facing you, usually long distances. I have both thermal & nv. Guess which one stays home.

Back