224 Valkyrie vs .223

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorSo what I have never heard is the answer to this:

Discounting speculation of “ammo or brass will dry up someday) and discounting an interest in shooting schitty surplus ammo or components: A new AR buyer is standing in front of a rack at a shop (or on the phone with a builder, or ordering online). What are the reasons he should pick up the 223/5.56 AR instead of the Valkyrie?

I'd say ya nailed it right there. Cost, availability of ammo and components (both for ammo and weapons parts), and more than adequate performance up to and including effectively dissuading species of the human kind. An AR in 300 Win Mag would prob show more performance initiative, buuuuuuut..........

Also while no definite numbers have been seen on any of the hot 22's like the 22 Nosler, the VALK and the 22X6.8 barrel life may well be an issue for some. I've seen some claims made on the VALK by Larue but the more I read what he says the more suspect I am on how much personal or any real in-shop experience with it they have. It certainly won't be a barrel burner like a 22-250/Swift but it will definitely eat more than the 223.

One thing is if you hot rod it over SAAMI, 55,000 BTW, and go up in the SPC II realm like many push at 58,000 you may see some increased parts failure. Bolt thrust comes at a cost on this one based on experience reported in the 6.8 world feedback that has been seen.

Case capacity being dropped didn't help nor do I personally feel the pushing for the big bullet approach for the average guy. The big ones cost more to load beyond a doubt and I don't foresee this one as a "lets go out to the range and shoot a few hundred rounds this afternoon" chambering. PRS is all well and good and I understand it, just a tad lol, but a colony gun this will not be IMHO. It really is a niche filler IMHO.

Greg

I like all the options out there now and I hope it takes off. But I'm much more likely to go with one of the 6.8 variants or 22 Nosler in a slower twist to make the 50-55's scream. I tried the Nosler and my Stoner shot very well but the 18" neutered it to the point that my 223ai out performed it with less powder and nearly free brass, albeit with a longer barrel.

There are good options out there, I just haven't gone there yet. Too many other obligations, and enough toys in the safe now to keep papa satisfied...for a while.

I really like the Valkyrie design, it is indeed a magnum PPC case. However, pressures run 60K and over in the PPC, and I am wondering if the Star, Fed cases are tough enough to take the pressures of pushing the 90g bullet?

I only know of one rifle, an AR on the Valkyrie platform and it is a real shooter.

ON the other hand, it looks like the Valkyrie is equal to a 223 AI, ballistic twins.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI really like the Valkyrie design, it is indeed a magnum PPC case. However, pressures run 60K and over in the PPC, and I am wondering if the Star, Fed cases are tough enough to take the pressures of pushing the 90g bullet?

I only know of one rifle, an AR on the Valkyrie platform and it is a real shooter.

ON the other hand, it looks like the Valkyrie is equal to a 223 AI, ballistic twins.

they shortened the 6.8 case to make it. the PPC case, AKA grendel is what they should have used. I would like to see more development of the WSSM's actually. I know mike does these. I would like to see further development of the WSSM's for the AR 15

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI really like the Valkyrie design, it is indeed a magnum PPC case. However, pressures run 60K and over in the PPC, and I am wondering if the Star, Fed cases are tough enough to take the pressures of pushing the 90g bullet?

With 1 grain more capacity than the 223Rem. If they are getting 2850 in an 18" barrel (see venatic's first post in this thread) you can dang sure bet they are pushing it 60K+ (& why he saw immediate loose primers)

The SAAMI numbers on the Valkyrie and the 22 Nosler are 55,000. Go higher and you pay a small price. Go way higher and you dang sure will.

Greg

Update am running 20 inch barrel DTech Upper now with 6.5 Twist Shilen and withWW760 and 88 gr Hornady bullet seems 2775-2800 fps with the Starline brass is a solid load.
Shot the 70 gr Hornady at 3025 with same powder and it shows potential as well. So dang hot here didn’t go to range until 7:30 pm and shot til dusk.
Waiting on the 95 gr Sierra bullets to show up from Brownells then go try some LR steel

Last edited:
Seems that a couple of problems have surfaced with the Valkyrie. Bad reamers and twist rate concerns. Federal is now reformulating their 90 grain loads so it will be interesting to see what becomes of this round.

Just getting into the hunting world and was considering the .224 for a yote/long range plinking setup. I have two ARs currently, both in .223/556. Plan to use my 16” Colt to start but unsure if I want to build a dedicated rifle for hunting coyotes. I have a cheap 1-4 Burris optic on the Colt now but have a 2.5-10x44 Vortex Viper that will either go on it or replace the Nikon Monarch on my .3006.

If it will help you just write "Valkyrie" on the side of you 223/5,56mm and keep your money.
Any one who can put their shoe on the right foot, can see thru all this BS.
A 223 that can shoot 1200 yds. Give me a break. Go buy a red book.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

If it will help you just write "Valkyrie" on the side of you 223/5,56mm and keep your money.
Any one who can put their shoe on the right foot, can see thru all this BS.
A 223 that can shoot 1200 yds. Give me a break. Go buy a red book.

If you are in it to shoot varmint bullets, I would agree that there is not very much difference; however, with the heavy bullets there are some advantages. People have to decide what their purpose is. To some it is worth it and others not so much. JMO

Willy’s right - the 223rem is great, and the Valkyrie does the same thing as the 223rem (maybe marginally more), but it’s garbage.

I met a pair of identical twins once. One was absolutely gorgeous. The other looked just like her, but with more ample top end - of course, she was hideous...

FML man...

Originally Posted By: prairiefireI am assuming that the Valkyrie would have more "knockdown" effect on small deer, coyotes, etc that the the .223 Is this true? With the speed of the .224, even the larger bullet might just be a pass thru shot with less damage than its cousin. Also, any thoughts on the suitability of the .224 as a self defense weapon.?

Where I live we can't hunt deer with anything less than a .25 caliber. Even if we could I don't particularly see either the .223 or .224 as an optimum deer round.

With the 90 grain ammo you are looking at about $1 per round unless you reload.

I don't see it as a practical choice for what you have listed here. Self-defense? I'd choose a short carbine in 9mm, 45 cal or 300 BLK with subsonic rounds and a suppressor- especially if you have neighbors close by.

Who shoots a 22 cal. 1300 yards???? 22 cal. imo is a varmint round and the 22 Nosler will push 55s 3500. I don't see a need for even an 8 twist in the 22 Nosler. The valkyrie is twisted and chambered for big long high bc bullets so imo its not a varmint / lomg range do all rig. I see it as a another creedmoor type cool name thing.
You obviously aren't well versed in the LR game are you? A fast twist 223 can run 3000-2800fps with 75-90s respectively and shoot every bit of 12-1300 yards accurately, easy, all day...

Here's an example for you in my LR trainer 223 Wylde, with a custom throat designed for the 75/80g ELDMs at COAL of 2.510", Early 70s Rem 700, 28" HV Bartlein 8 twist, Greyboe Renegade M5, 1.5# Timney, Leupold MK4 20 MOA base, MK4 rings, and MK4 6.5-20X. Rifle weighs 15# and it shoots 75g ELDMs at 3050fps into 1/4-3/8 MOA. Plug that into your ballistics program and tell me it's not a 12-1300 yard round... It basically mimics a 6 Creed with 108g ELDMs at 3000fps. Hence being a LR trainer...Learn something new every day don't ya 🤣

A 224 doesn't have chit on a properly built 223 at the end of the day...

20240305_113608.jpg

Last edited:
Back