Thermal Drone FOV Calculator - Drone Project

Originally Posted By: Shaun Simmalooks awesome cant wait to hear your feedback on range and clarity with the 13mm lens and some video footage.

Hey Shaun.....I have been busy trying to figure out the setup with so many screens and I decided to mount the screens to my Trigger Stick with the camera adaptor. That way I can move around with the drone controller and not have to hold the weight of the entire screen rig. I also modified the screen holder that came with the unit.

dqIjpRZ.jpg

I set my own screen arrangement up and tried to keep as many items pieced together as possible to allow for quick and easy setup in the field. I also cut out a carrying case so everything stays together and it will make it easier to account for all of the pieces. It's easy to lose things at night.

z6uXW40.jpg

I took the unit outside last night and shot a few photos of the screen so you can get an idea of the resolution. Keep in mind that I have not worked with the screen settings to check for a better image......this is the way it was shipped to me. Hopefully I will get time for a flight test soon to see if this will be effective in the field for finding hogs.

The FOV is "approximately" the same as a 35mm 640 core Trigicon.

9J8yAx8.jpg

h6OE0zu.jpg

kWIVdFB.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Looks very good. You might also consider the POV goggles.

I have the DJI goggles for the Mavic Pro and I use them in bright daylight so that I can see better. It's also pretty cool to see the view like you are sitting in the drone.

That being said I will be using this at night so I won't have the bright daylight issue to deal with and I will have to monitor multiple screens while flying so the hood will not work in this application.

Last edited:
Gman

Looks awesome. with so many palates and settings on the thermal I suspect you will need to play with it to find what works best.

Considering the amount of money spent on the thermal and setup I would get a little nervous watching it fly off and hope it does not fall out of the sky. There are tons of owls around here and I have had them do a close up flyby of my dji phantom while I was hovering in the dark in my back yard on a full moon night.

Hopefully detection will be good enough so you can keep the drone close to you while flying that way you can recover it if something happens.

looking forward to seeing some video. have fun

Shaun

A drone tracker might help.

I ranch and have many critter issues. A thermal on a drone would/will be a huge help! We have a Phantom 3 pro and it is pretty good in daylight but thermal and a longer flight time with a bit more range of control would be icing on the cake!

Best regards

Three 44s

Back