How many shoot or hunt with a muzzle brake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ASSASSIN

Me personally, I use a muzzle brake on all rifles and hunting handguns. My biggest reason is because it allows me to be able to watch the bullet impact it's target through the scope. Second reason is because it cuts down greatly on recoil! The only drawback to using a muzzle brake is that L-O-U-D obnoxious blast every time you pull the trigger. I guess that's why they make good ear muffs...

100_4146_zpsrhx1nhor.jpg

047_zps6f4c50d7.jpg

004_zps8bc35670.jpg

I think muzzle brakes come in useful in ALL situations!

009-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

029.jpg

001-3.jpg

012-4.jpg

100_0142.jpg

007-17.jpg

I put this muzzle brake on a 15" T/C Encore barrel to turn it into a legal rifle length barrel...

001-15.jpg

Yes, I really do like muzzle brakes!

063.jpg

Last but not least, is one of my T/C Contender Super 14" barrels that I put a barrel extension on, to turn it into a legal "rifle".

Decked out and with a round in the chamber, minus the bi-pod, this little gun weighs in at just under 4 1/2 pounds!

013.jpg

Ok, so what do you guys shoot that has a muzzle brake on it?

Last edited:
Almost 15 years ago now I had George Vais build me a .220 Swift. He installed a 28" Krieger barrel on it and threaded it for one of his famous muzzle brakes. It was great. With my two previous Swifts with their factory barrels it had just enough recoil so that I would often not get to see the hits through the scope. The Vais brake took care of that.

My .243 AI has a Harrell tuneable brake on it and it works fine as well. Like it a lot too. Sure great to see those hits.

As you said, dont forget your hearing protection. But the bit more noise is worth having a gun that sits still when you fire it. At least it is to me anyway.

I have a brake on one of my hunting rifles and slowly getting brakes installed on other hunting rifles.

Last edited:
only one of my rifles has a brake on it - my 450 bushmaster upper, and thats because it came with it.

im considering getting just a regular flash hider, or a linear style unit as shooting a braked rifle in a box blind while hunting is brutal on the ears. i didnt have time last season to get my earpro on when i shot the deer i took and it rang my bell. my ears were whistling for 3 or 4 days after that one shot.

my buddy has a suppressor on the way for his (he's at like 10 months now) and i cant wait to try it out and i'll likely get one for mine after i test out the result on his.

Rustydust,

that is so very true!

I shot a crow several years ago that was sitting in the top of an old dead tree, with a fast stepping 22 Armadillo (22X30-30 Improved) at a little over 200 yards. I centered it's breast and through an 18 power scope, I got to watch that crow literally vaporize right before my eyes! I would have missed that sight if I did not have a muzzle brake on that gun...

A muzzle braked rifle inside of a box blind can be very detrimental to one's hearing! Been there done that, one time and one time only!

Almost forgot my muzzle loader! A properly installed muzzle brake on a muzzle loader, can also serve as a QLA and make loading much easier and faster. The design of the brake has no effect on shooting sabots, so accuracy issues with a brake are non existent...

042-1.jpg

Muzzle brake on an H&R Ultra Slug barrel!

101_4817_zpsynpqu77g.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1ASSASSINRustydust,

that is so very true!

I shot a crow several years ago that was sitting in the top of an old dead tree, with a fast stepping 22 Armadillo (22X30-30 Improved) at a little over 200 yards. I centered it's breast and through an 18 power scope, I got to watch that crow literally vaporize right before my eyes! I would have missed that sight if I did not have a muzzle brake on that gun...

Yessir! It was so much fun to watch those 50 grain Vmax bullets do their thing on a prairie dog. Like looking through a kaleidoscope hooked up to a motor drive.

When not using my suppressor I can screw in a muzzle brake (got a couple from Brownell's a few years back) and see every hit (and, ahem, the occasional miss) that I make. Sure makes it a lot more fun.

Oh, and nice rigs you got there. No surprise after seeing some of your previous work.

I like brakes for the reason mentioned above.Mostly for seeing hits though.If you are shooting long range and don't have a spotter a brake is nice.

Thank you Rustydust!

Have you ever shot a deer with a muzzle braked high powered rifle at long range?

I shot a deer last year at long range with a 300 Weatherby Magnum shooting Hornady's 178 gr. A-Max. I shot a little high on the front shoulder, and looking at that deer on 60X magnification, that deer's hide "rippled" from one end to the other! That in itself was very fascinating to watch! And to be able to see exactly where the bullet entered, and watch the red mist and stuff blow out the opposite side. A very cool sight to say the least!

Originally Posted By: tnshootistI like brakes for the reason mentioned above. Mostly for seeing hits though.If you are shooting long range and don't have a spotter a brake is nice.

Very True!

Originally Posted By: 1ASSASSINThank you Rustydust!

Have you ever shot a deer with a muzzle braked high powered rifle at long range?

Nope. I have not big game hunted in years. Not a big fan of deer meat but I ate plenty of it when I could hunt on the property that I lived on when I was a Tennessee resident. Those were whitetails and not bad eating. Most deer out here are mule deer and not near as good eating. Not bad but I would rather have a T-bone.

Given a choice, I would rather have a T-bone any day of the week! But considering beef prices, I'll just stay with the deer meat and enjoy it as best I can. In fact, I just finished a big pot of deer chili, and before that deer spaghetti...

I just finished off a meat loaf cooked on the grill made from venison.

OOPS. There, I fixed it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI just finished off a meat load cooked on the grill made from venison.

Oh my. TMI..........

Spell check can be your friend, friend.

Originally Posted By: 1ASSASSINOriginally Posted By: tnshootistI like brakes for the reason mentioned above. Mostly for seeing hits though.If you are shooting long range and don't have a spotter a brake is nice.

Very True!

I started running brakes on my competition guns, but stayed away from them for hunting because of the excessive noise. They are great for quick follow up shots.

Now I have the ultimate brake, a suppressor, and it REALLY makes a BIG difference. I might not have gotten one of the coyotes I shot his weekend if I hadn't been so quick on the follow up shot because my rifle shoots so flat.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI just finished off a meat load cooked on the grill made from venison.

Oh my. TMI..........

Spell check can be your friend, friend.

Fixed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back