6.5 CM for Elk?

Powerfisher

Just picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor and I did my research before I bought it. I learned that its considered an adequate caliber for hunting Elk. I was wondering if anyone here has experience killing Elk with a 6.5 CM....black bear as well.

I killed my elk 2 years ago win a 260 at 500 yards... my daughter killed hers at 450 with the same rifle and my friend killed his at 450 with a 6.5 Creedmoor... it will absolutely work for elk... I’m not a bear hunter but I wouldn’t hesitate...

Right bullet, proper shot placement, know your own limitations and that of the gun/caliber and most anything will work.

My creedy has killed 2 bulls, 320 and 400yds. 143 eldx. 3 bears and 3 mule deer in the last 2 seasons..bears all under a 100 yards. The deer 300, 320 and 487 yards. Very capable cartridge.

Interesting to me how a round with less power than many old standard rounds that were deemed on the light side for elk is somehow a suitable elk round.

At short range maybe, the longer ranges is just not a great idea.

If I didn't have a .338, .300, or my .50 muzzleloader, I'd hunt elk with my 6.5x55, which is pretty much the same thing. Ideal? Maybe not. Effective within its limits? Yep. Just know those limits, like everything else.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Bullets matter more than headstamps. And shot placement trumps all.

I think shot placement is the one thing a lot of people don't even pay attention to when they pull the trigger.

Back