Raccoon daylight activity?

Flesh Eater

The other day I was pulling up to a spot I frequent for groundhog hunting, and saw a groundhog run across the road in front of me. Just ahead of that groundhog, in the ditch, was a coon running for the bank. This was around 6pm. I got out of my truck and managed to locate the raccoon which had climbed to the top of a tree next to the road. I watched it for about five minutes, even scoped it to see if I could see anything wrong with the animal. It appeared normal, so I let it be.

Has anyone else seen raccoon activity during the day time? I know there are some hunters who have success calling them during the day, but it's rare when I see them out then. Just curious as to how often they're seen.

There's the age old banter about daylight coons being rabid, but I just don't buy into every coon carrying rabies, even though I seemingly have an irrational fear of the virus. Ha-ha!

Couple years ago a family of coons came up to the caller & messed with it, mid-morning.
It was playing coyote pup frenzy.
Not fur season at that time.

last year about this time we had one that would come out at about 630pm every evening from underneath the abandoned house next door. I also had several trailcam photos this time in the mornings. all were healthy animals.

About a month ago I shot one out in a field diggin around 2pm. Seemed totally fine up close... except ya know for the hole it now had in it

Pretty common around here this time of year. Went for a ride the other night looking for chucks and seen more coons than chucks. With a litter of growing young, who are hungry and chewing and playing. Mom takes more day time walks for a break from the kids.

They also don't like to move at night when the moon is full. I have hunted them with hounds all my life and the best night is the darkest one or one with a very light sliver of a crescent moon. Too many other predators are out on a full moon night, so they usually don't move too much. They will, but you are as likely to see one during the day on a bright moon as at night, especially if they have kittens. Owls are the worst predator raccoons have. An owl wont kill an adult, but they will wipe out an entire litter in a week if the mother is young or her first litter and she keeps taking them out in the bright moonlight. These days coyotes don't cut them any slack either.

Have only seen one, in the mid afternoon in a hay field while looking for groundhogs. It seemed to be behaving normally so i gave it a pass. Later when i told my cousin, she wasn't happy i had let it go, as 'coons had been making a mess in the barn.

Back