NV Ground squirrel shooting from back of pickup.

gmww

I shoot ground squirrels from a portable shooting bench on the ground. I was looking at the NV regs and ground squirrels are not a game animal and no license is required from what I can tell.

I know it is illegal to shoot from inside a vehicle be it parked or moving at game animals. My question is this. If someone mounts a shooting platform on the bed of the pickup and is parked on private property shooting non-game animals is this illegal? We stay in one spot all day (private property) and don't drive around. I've been thinking up plans in my head on building a platform for the bench as it would be easier to travel with vs dragging a trailer several hundred miles.

Anyone know? Thanks ahead of time.

Edit: The statute I've seen so far is this one.

NRS 503.010  Manner of hunting or trapping: Unlawful use of aircraft, helicopter, motor-driven vehicle, boat or transmitting device. It would be the subsection (2). It looks like it is legal so long as it's non-game animals and not across or along a public roadway.

1.  Except as otherwise provided in this section or subsection 2 of NRS 503.005, it is unlawful to harass any game mammals or game birds with an aircraft, helicopter or motor-driven vehicle, including a motorboat or sailboat.

2.  Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, it is unlawful to shoot at any game mammals or game birds with a weapon from an aircraft, helicopter or motor-driven vehicle. A person who is a paraplegic, has had one or both legs amputated or has suffered a paralysis of one or both legs which severely impedes the person’s walking may shoot from a stopped motor vehicle which is not parked on the traveled portion of a public highway, but the person may not shoot from, over or across a highway or road specified in NRS 503.175.

Last edited:
I am assuming you are talking about Nevada. I would have to say NO, not legal. If you keep searching the regs, it also states no loaded firearms in or on a vehicle and no shooting from a vehicle.

Originally Posted By: crapshootI am assuming you are talking about Nevada. I would have to say NO, not legal. If you keep searching the regs, it also states no loaded firearms in or on a vehicle and no shooting from a vehicle.

Thanks. I looked up that statute after reading your post and the one I found so far is NRS 503.165. It seems to only apply for those who are public highways and such. Still looking though.

"NRS 503.165  Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun in or on vehicle on or along public way unlawful; exceptions.

1.  It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in or on any vehicle which is standing on or along, or is being driven on or along, any public highway or any other way open to the public...."

And that's the problem with the system. All depends on the officers interpretation of the law. When you get an answer you like, ask for it in writing on official letterhead and signed by the individual.

Ground squirrels and Jack rabbits are non game species and are not controlled by the NDOW, so the regs do not apply. Local and state laws do. A lot of roads on BLM land are not more than access roads. You can shoot from a portable bench mounted in a truck.

i hope NV law isn't like VA law. Here the law states it's illegal to shoot "from a vehicle". This is pretty vague and entirely open to interpretation by the LEO and judge. Some folks have gotten the business by touching the truck when firing, while others haven't been prosecuted for shooting from a table set up in the truck bed.

I was shooting on BLM land. Rancher that provided me access said Game warden come out and give tickets frequently . Spoke to a game warden at some kind of event at Reno Cabelas and he said "$200 dollar fine and have to take hunter safety course again"

We've shot tons of groundsquirrels in NV from the back of truck and never had any problem. But this was on private land in an area heavily infested with them. I think it depends on the situation - where and who's doing the enforcing. .

It was on BLM land near Paridise Valley 40 miles north of Winnumucca NV.It was from a rancher who provided me access to BLM land thru his property.No I don't know where to find that law in the penal code book.

Just talked with Law Enforcement Division at NDOW.
This is what I was told. On private ground it is absolutely legal.
On public ground you have to be on a road that is not open to the public.
Don't really know how this would work-maybe sole access through private ground ????

Why not just shoot from the ground? I would much prefer to shoot from the ground than a truck that wobbles around all the time. But then I'm kind of a stickler for the rules and don't like shooting from vehicles.

In some states, it is legal to shoot off vehicles that are parked, with the engine not running.

As to why? It elevates your position, allowing for more shots and increases your kill ratio.

No you cannot discharge a rifle or shotgun from the back of your truck in Nevada.

NRS 503.165 prohibits loaded long gun in or "on" any vehicle that is on or along a public highway or "any other way open to the public" there is very little private land in Nevada. Essentially, if you are on a two track out in the desert or in the mountains that is any other way open to the public and a loaded long gun in or on the vehicles is illegal. This offense is a misdemeanor with up to 6 months in jail or a $1,000. fine.

Also, NRS 202.287 prohibits discharge of a firearm from within or "on" a vehicle. This applies to pistols and long guns. This statutes makes discharge of any firearm a misdemeanor, unless the area is classified as a populated area and then the crime is a Category B felony punishable from between 2-15 years in prison.

Of course each county and city/township have their own ordinances in addition to the 2 state statutes listed above.

It would be stupid to risk catching a felony or misdemeanor to shoot a few varmints. But hey thats just my opinion.

The question was about private ground.
Contact the game office in your area and let us know what they say.
My answer was straight from the law enforcement division in Reno.

Back