disappointing .22WMR performance

danno in va

After using centerfires for decades, it seemed time to get into the rimfire game to keep the noise down in the hay fields. The Savage heavy bbl ss laminated stock seemed like a good choice. The Remington Premier Magnum Rimfire with 33 grain bullet was by far the most accurate with MOA groups at 100 yds.

The shot was 110 yrs, no wind with broadside presentation. 'Hog rolled over and then after a bit started kicking and rolled into its hole. Maybe it's better to go with frontal standing or head shots until i get more experience with this lightweight.

Suggestions, please?

why, thanks for your post. There's also a similar unfired .17HMR waiting in the wings and i'm thinking of selling it. i'm interested to hear about ranges and shot placement for reliable shots with both the .17HMR and the .22WMR.

Do you consider your .17HMR to kill consistently at that range in good conditions?

Last edited:

In my video "Rimfire Groundhogs" we used both 17 HMR and 22 Mag quite a lot. The HMR was the clear winner though since as already stated, it's easy to make head shots due to the accuracy of the rifle /load. We only had one groundhog out of several get into the hole when using the HMR. The shot was pulled as the groundhog moved, resulting in a gut shot. We used CCI 20 gr. Game Points.

The .22 mag hits harder as you would imagine, but some required a follow up shot.

Here's a video exert from the movie while using the 22 mag.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CKaNnX-JCW8&index=10&list=UU81nCZByzsnwkuHReRQNMwQ&t=0s

If you really want to up the ante, Try a .17 WSM. Shoots like a laser and devastating on anytthing I ever pointed it at.

Originally Posted By: cmateraIf you really want to up the ante, Try a .17 WSM. Shoots like a laser and devastating on anytthing I ever pointed it at.

If you're looking for the most from a rimfire, the 17 WSM has no equal and is substantially more potent than all other rimfires.

I've had a 17 WSM for a few years now and its turned my 17 HMR rifles into plinkers.

How do you 17 WSM guys compare the accuracy of it to the HMR. I ask because I have never seen or shot one.

i would've bought the .17WMR if it had been on the market at the time i got the Savage .22WMR and .17HMR (still unfired). The reports haven't really inspired me to get the .17 WMR, and the Ruger is more coin than i want to plunk down for a rimfire. i agree with an earlier post that the .27 case might have been most interesting in a .20. i'm thinking to stay with the .22WMR and learn what it will and won't do consistently.

Maybe the .222 and Swift have spoiled me with consistent one shot kills, but that's what suits me. It's looking like i'm going to need to be more particular with groundhog presentation with the .22WMR.

Originally Posted By: whyHow do you 17 WSM guys compare the accuracy of it to the HMR. I ask because I have never seen or shot one.

My Savage HB SS Bmag 17 WSM is a fair bit more accurate than either my HB SS Thumbhole stock Sav. 93/17 HMR or Savage A17 HB Laminated Target Sporter 17 HMR.

My Savage HB SS laminated thumbhole with a K prefix in the S/N is the best $400 I ever spent on a gun. I like the caliber enough that I bought a Franklin Armory F17L for $2,400 and only hope it shoots close to as good as the Savage, and it still needs an aftermarket trigger.

danno, try to find some Aguila silver eagle ammo. That stuff puts a pretty good hurt on varmints. I got my last few boxes through midway usa.

Originally Posted By: danno in vaAfter using centerfires for decades, it seemed time to get into the rimfire game to keep the noise down in the hay fields. The Savage heavy bbl ss laminated stock seemed like a good choice. The Remington Premier Magnum Rimfire with 33 grain bullet was by far the most accurate with MOA groups at 100 yds.

The shot was 110 yrs, no wind with broadside presentation. 'Hog rolled over and then after a bit started kicking and rolled into its hole. Maybe it's better to go with frontal standing or head shots until i get more experience with this lightweight.

Suggestions, please?
Groundhogs are very tough and are hard to kill. I had a similar problem with a 22 Hornet and 45 gr bullets if the groundhogs were not hit in the head or through both shoulders I would have crawlers. I sold the Hornet and went back to the 223 and 22-250 type cartridges. This season I have been shooting a Tikka 8 twist 223 with the Sierra TMK with good results

I have been using 32 gr. bullets in 22 & 22 mag for 2 yrs.
Am now going back to 40 grs. all the way around. Not impressed with the lighter bullets at all.
To me the heavier bullets do the job much better.

i greatly appreciate all the posts. Great experience to consider.

i really do have a lot of respect for groundhogs, as they can be really tough and i do my best to take the best shot so they don't even know they're dead.

Had both a cz 512 and a 455 in 22 mag. The 512 was very impressive especially with Remington 40 gr hollow points, really whacked prarie dogs. The 455 did not shoot anywhere near as good with the 40’s, settled on the 35 gr 22A’s. Killed prarie dogs but nowhere as good as the 40’s. Seriously looking at the Steyr Zepher II in 22 mag

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to say it's ammo performance more that caliber. Although my 512 likes the Green tipped Remington 32 gr load I don't. Seems up close it's to explosive at times, while out there at range doesn't seem to put things down like it should. Several years ago picked up couple bricks of Winchester 34gr JHP Supreme. Been happy with the way it works within the ranges I work with.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I would shoot the 40 gr CCI / Winchester / Remington HP.

Yes. Get some Winchester 40gr JHP in the gray box. Great performing 22 mag round. Kills well.

Originally Posted By: jndOriginally Posted By: danno in vaAfter using centerfires for decades, it seemed time to get into the rimfire game to keep the noise down in the hay fields. The Savage heavy bbl ss laminated stock seemed like a good choice. The Remington Premier Magnum Rimfire with 33 grain bullet was by far the most accurate with MOA groups at 100 yds.

Suggestions, please?
Groundhogs are very tough and are hard to kill. I had a similar problem with a 22 Hornet and 45 gr bullets if the groundhogs were not hit in the head or through both shoulders I would have crawlers. I sold the Hornet and went back to the 223 and 22-250 type cartridges. This season I have been shooting a Tikka 8 twist 223 with the Sierra TMK with good results

This ^^^^^ - they take some killin. With rimfires either good penetrating bullets w/ some expansion are the ticket, or solid headshots. Those plastic tips can be accurate, but dont dig as deep as you're finding.

Originally Posted By: WishboneOriginally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I would shoot the 40 gr CCI / Winchester / Remington HP.

Yes. Get some Winchester 40gr JHP in the gray box. Great performing 22 mag round. Kills well.

Dan, I think that this is your best bet. I used a Leupold 6.5x20 with target knobs and had the knobs calibrated to 250 yards.

chucks are tough, think like you are trying to anchor a big game animal, with a shot through the shoulders that will hit lungs and heart. Head shots can be a sucker shot, depending on how accurate your rifle is. I used a ton of the 40g Win HP, Browning A bolt, Mauser 210, several Rugers sporter & Varmint, Marlin 25M.

You should clean a 22 Mag more often than you would think if you want to keep it running 1" groups at 100 yards....patches and JB.

Back