New Sierra bullets

It's hard to believe that they just started building the "ballistic tip" style in big game hunting slugs. That being said, I always liked the polymer blitz kings and I'm in the bottom of a 500 pack of 155 30cal sierra tipped match kings that my 308 really likes. Ive also been using the 95gr tipped match kings in a 6br fast twist with great success. I have no doubt they'll work well. Sierra builds good slugs.

I am sure they figured the Gameking was a competitor to the Ballistic Tip. Always liked the DRT kills I get from Gamekings although Sierra tends to get a bad rap for being a soft bullet.

Just ordered a box of 90s to try in my 6mm.

Originally Posted By: MoYoBomberI am sure they figured the Gameking was a competitor to the Ballistic Tip. Always liked the DRT kills I get from Gamekings although Sierra tends to get a bad rap for being a soft bullet.

Just ordered a box of 90s to try in my 6mm.
That reminds me of a story I read about of one Sierra’s older Techs. If someone called in complaining about a bullet, he would say “ at what point in the animals death did our bullet fail you”.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI killed a lot of deer, antelope, coyotes, etc with Sierra bullets before I was told they were not any good.

It is funny what some call “bullet failure.” I am excited for some of these in our 6x45s. My wife is excited that they have translucent green tips...
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI killed a lot of deer, antelope, coyotes, etc with Sierra bullets before I was told they were not any good.

I have been told they weren't any good since I discovered the internet.

I never listened before and still don't. Have yet to see a "failure" in more than a few handfuls of whitetails.

Have seen some very quick DRT kills though.

Still shooting them and am going to try the 90 grain GameChanger this fall.

As with any match type bullet, I prioritize seating depth.

I split a box of 6.5 130s with a friend. I have 5 4 round groups loaded .005 in as well as 5,10, 20 and 30 off.

Whatever wins out of those I’ll run 5 4 shot groups over the magneto while shooting groups.

I’ll then shoot the remaining 10 at 600 yards or so, and that is far more than enough to tell me if I want to order enough to toast my new Proof 6.5x47 barrel.

Ive been doing LD like this for a while, and it’s amazing how well just about anything will shoot. Yes, I do a little fine tuning of the seating depth, but I’ve had great luck finding ridiculous SD and accuracy with very limited components.

Originally Posted By: LexThey don't have one yet but nosler is making a 70gr accubond

I managed to get my hands on some of those and I’m looking forward to shooting a few deer with them.

Originally Posted By: CZ527As with any match type bullet, I prioritize seating depth.

I split a box of 6.5 130s with a friend. I have 5 4 round groups loaded .005 in as well as 5,10, 20 and 30 off.

Whatever wins out of those I’ll run 5 4 shot groups over the magneto while shooting groups.

I’ll then shoot the remaining 10 at 600 yards or so, and that is far more than enough to tell me if I want to order enough to toast my new Proof 6.5x47 barrel.

Ive been doing LD like this for a while, and it’s amazing how well just about anything will shoot. Yes, I do a little fine tuning of the seating depth, but I’ve had great luck finding ridiculous SD and accuracy with very limited components.
CZ
Looks like a easy load development plan . On the first twenty rounds with the different depths, what powder charge do you use in terms of minimum to maximum if you don’t mind? What’s your first impression on the Game Changer bullets, are they pretty uniform?
Thanks Mark.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Originally Posted By: McGrawOriginally Posted By: CZ527As with any match type bullet, I prioritize seating depth.

CZ
Looks like a easy load development plan . On the first twenty rounds with the different depths, what powder charge do you use in terms of minimum to maximum if you don’t mind? What’s your first impression on the Game Changer bullets, are they pretty uniform?
Thanks Mark.

I mean they look like sierras if that’s what you’re asking.

I just pick a charge that’s not anemic but within reason also. My max with a 130 Berger was about 38.2, so I used 37.... haven’t made it to the range yet but soon.

For a totally new rifle or cartridge, I just come down off of book max a couple of grains and do the seating depth test .

Good deal on the powder charge. That’s kinda what I was thinking to be in the ballpark of the final charge instead of dropping to the minimum charge like Berger’s test. On the bullets. I guess I meant did the new tip look okay. Better or worse than the Eldm bullets?

I’m sure that Berger test is great for their bullets, but I’ve never done it, mainly because I’m not going to shoot much past 30 off and eat up my case capacity.

Greatly reduced case capacity is probably the reason they want you to use a starting charge and I agree. Same goes for a hard jam.

These are just my personal methods, so proceed with what you know to be safe in your rifle.

Happy hunting.

Back