Trail cameras

FairChase93

Debated which forum to put this in.

Now that I've got a good chunk of private ground that I can do what I want (hunting wise) I'm in the market for a couple new game cameras. Ive had a few different Moultries because it seems thats what most people around here use and suggest but I've had nothing but trouble with them. Moultrie for their part has always been good about fixing or offering replacements but its getting very frustrating.

I'm curious what you guys are using or prefer. My budget is not huge and I don't need anything real fancy. Just looking for day and night still picture capable. Don't care about video or time lapse or being able to check images remotely. Won't be usedover bait stations just on trails going to and from major feeding and bedding areas.

I'm honestly thinking about taking a flyer on a couple of cheap wild game innovation cameras as I doubt they can give me much more trouble than what I've already experienced.

So what say you? Have you found any wallet friendly cameras your satisfied with? It seems there's 1000s of choices out there whats your favorite.

I have been using Browning Dark Ops and Strike Force for 3 years now. I have been happy with them and had no problems. If you watch you can pick them up for about $100 on sale.

agree with OP & others, on poor Moultrie trail-cam reliability.
I have 5 in the 880-990 series and only 2 are now fully functional, over several years.

I use Browning Strikeforce's as well. Excellent battery life (same set from mid Aug-mid Jan) and very good picture quality. Started out using Stealth Cams, some we're good most were not. Their picture quality was good but the battery life was absolutely horrible. The best was 3 weeks for a set of batteries. The ones that STILL work use the external battery packs now. I'm also using $25 Wal Mart cheapie Tascos to try out new unknown areas, then replace good spots with the Strikeforce's. They work well for what they are. Controls are a little funky, grainy pictures but very good battery life

Thanks gentlemen I think I am going to give the Browning cameras a chance. Seems to be popular here and seem to at the very least not be the most hated in the customer reviews on the various online retailers.

As for searching "top 5 trail cameras"
I put about as much faith in a published product review or test as I do in a fart while fighting the flu....

Quote:
As for searching "top 5 trail cameras"
I put about as much faith in a published product review or test as I do in a fart while fighting the flu.... what i was getting at is, this is how i fell upon the Brownings myself. A quick google search will revel several listing from different sites and Browning cameras seemed to be mentioned as a favorite in most of those listings. Upon reseraching the partucular Browning i wanted, another google search reveled several 4,4.5, and 5 star ratings by hundreds of people that the Browning was a good camera. Maybe im wrong but thats how i chose that camera.So far it seems im right because it is working out to be a great camera....just as the flu farting reviews stated
wink.gif

Last edited:
I've had good luck with the $100 stealthcams.

In general with whatever you get use good batteries and a quality memory card, usually one of those two things is the problem.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiI've had good luck with the $100 stealthcams.

In general with whatever you get use good batteries and a quality memory card, usually one of those two things is the problem. i completely agree. Ive gone soley to lithium batteries and i try to buy cameras that come with the sd card or ones that at least specifiy what type and class of card to get. I was using an older Moultrie unit and keep getting hundreds and hundreds of photos of nothing. Contacted the manufacture and discovered i was using a high speed class 10 card and it called f9r a class 4. Using the wrong card was causing it to fire prematurly.

I just purchased 2 Meidase Trail Camera from Amazon.. 60$ a piece and the reviews are good.. Easy to set up and has a .2 second trigger time.. I think some problems others have with trial cameras is that they use low grade SD cards.. I run class 10 cards in my cameras.. They record better and faster and less issues especially with night vision cameras.. I set up 1 of the cameras yesterday and will see how the pics turn out.. Has a setting for HD video and up to 16 MP pictures.. For 60$ they was worth a try..

Meidase trail camera

As my Bushnell's started failing I switched to Brownings and have been happy so far with the 4 I have. Also have a Spypoint Solar that I like for the most part, night photos are iffy. Good day time and 2nd year on same set of batteries as it should be.

I have recently bought some private ground back in my hometown, and I am also looking to get some great trail cameras for it. Which ones would you actually recommend me as the best ones?! Money is not a problem, as long as that product actually deserves that amount of money. Someone told me about Moultrie XV7000i - 4G, have you used it?! Is it actually any good?! In case I won't get any feedback on other cameras I guess I will go for this one. Oh man, I also need a new camera for my podcasts as I broke the older one. I have found this list https://vlogtribe.com/best-cameras-for-recording-podcast/ and there are a lot of really great cameras, I have to choose out of them.

Last edited:
I was using cuddeback, but the they started failing and the battery life is not very good at all. I have switched to Browning and Bushnell and been very happy.

Bushnell runs almost a year when taking a LOT of pictures where the cuddeback would last about a month. Browning has been running on the same batteries since I got it for Christmas so not sure how long they will last. Pretty good so far.

I hunt public land mostly. I wanted a cheap camera because I figured it would get stolen anyway. And truthfully, all I wanted to know was if there were deer coming through the area I wanted to hunt. I bought a Muddy brand at Academy Sports for $30. I had to buy an SD card and batteries but it actually took pretty good pictures. At least good enough for me. And to my surprise...no one stole it either.

Last edited:
Back