Ballistic Tips for Chucks?

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterAccording to internet lore, a 1/10 twist should stabilize a heavier bullet better, which is why I went with the 75 grain. I was going to try the 87 grain Custom Lite, too. But pretty sure I can find the Federals cheap enough to try.

No problems stabilizing 55 or 70 grain Nosler BT in my Savage 9.25 twist barrel. They both shoot excellent groups. I shot the 70 grainers out to 750 yards, rang a 12" gong with them.

It's not so much the bullet you use as it is bullet placement. It's all about the head shots guys. Hone your skills and aim for the ear. Especially with those 17s. It worked for me. Like Dirty Dog says, aim small miss small.

Originally Posted By: DogboneIt's not so much the bullet you use as it is bullet placement. It's all about the head shots guys. Hone your skills and aim for the ear. Especially with those 17s. It worked for me. Like Dirty Dog says, aim small miss small.

I agree, but the ballistics leave more room for error.
smile.gif

There's really no way to practice for hunting groundhogs. I found myself in so many awkward positions, I'd never know how to practice for those shots. Guess just more time in the field is needed!

I honed my skills at the range target shooting with a variety of weapons/calibers until I felt confident enough to hit the fields of NJ. Takes some of the edge off of on the job training. Been several years since I did battle with those fur balls. None here in NC. Had fun while it lasted.

Originally Posted By: DogboneI honed my skills at the range target shooting with a variety of weapons/calibers until I felt confident enough to hit the fields of NJ. Takes some of the edge off of on the job training. Been several years since I did battle with those fur balls. None here in NC. Had fun while it lasted.

I have two ranges on my property, so I shoot A LOT. However, I'm not laying on my stomach facing downhill in a cornfield when I shoot. Or laying in high grass on a hillside. The groundhogs around here have the advantage with all the small rolling hills. They strategically place themselves where it's impossible not to skyline yourself.

That's true, but even with a heavier bullet they will still take off running. I hit one in the side with a 204 at 120 yards. He ran thirty yards dragging his entrails behind him all the way to his burrow and I lost him. Those buggers are tough. There are no guarantees even with the heavier bullets at higher velocities. That's why I said only head shots will anchor them, regardless of bullet size/weight.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: DogboneI honed my skills at the range target shooting with a variety of weapons/calibers until I felt confident enough to hit the fields of NJ. Takes some of the edge off of on the job training. Been several years since I did battle with those fur balls. None here in NC. Had fun while it lasted.

I have two ranges on my property, so I shoot A LOT. However, I'm not laying on my stomach facing downhill in a cornfield when I shoot. Or laying in high grass on a hillside. The groundhogs around here have the advantage with all the small rolling hills. They strategically place themselves where it's impossible not to skyline yourself.

You'll learn. It's a game of cat and mouse. Experience will help you figure out how to outsmart them, whether it's belly crawling, sneak a peek, hide and seek or wait 'em out. Good luck and have fun.

Originally Posted By: DogboneOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: DogboneI honed my skills at the range target shooting with a variety of weapons/calibers until I felt confident enough to hit the fields of NJ. Takes some of the edge off of on the job training. Been several years since I did battle with those fur balls. None here in NC. Had fun while it lasted.

You'll learn. It's a game of cat and mouse. Experience will help you figure out how to outsmart them, whether it's belly crawling, sneak a peek, hide and seek or wait 'em out. Good luck and have fun.

Oh yeah, I learned a lot after just one outing. They're probably some of the funnest animals to hunt. Right up there with coon. My next venture I'll go for all head shots. Should be fun!

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterHoly cow!

I really want to get a .17 Remington. Just not sure how I want to go about it.
I had a 17 rem. and did not care for it it was a rem. 700 bdl. It was hard to keep clean and accuracy quickly fell off, for a small caliber the .204 ruger is better in my opinion, but for Penna. and Ohio groundhogs its hard to beat a good .224 caliber 223,22-250,220 swift ect.I believe on eastern groundhogs a 22 caliber is better than a 17 as you can load your bullets and don't have to tinker with it like a 17.
Joe

WeaselCircus, that's a nice looking rig. What is the camo covering on the stock, and where can it be bought?

Almost forgot to mention a buddy gets wonderful performance from the Sierra 70 grain BlitzKing over 760 in his .243 AI. This is a fantastic bullet that had been requested for years, and it doesn't disappoint!

Last edited:
Back