#16 christened the new Creedmoor

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Well, it has been dang hot, and I been spending more time fishing than chasing hogs.

I followed the crowd back at the beginning of the year and got me a 6.5 Creedmoor. I had won a Remington 700 SPS in a gun raffle back in 2016 before the Creedmoor was offered Remington, so I got a .308 and stuck it in the closet, but when they came out with the Creedmoor I sold the .308 and turned around and bought the exact same thing in the Creedmoor.

Venatic put me on to a good deal on an Iota Kremlin stock, and jumped on it. I also got a good deal on a Leopold VX3i -LRP 6.5-20x50 scope to top it off with a 20 moa base and some rings from Horizon Firearms.

Venatic put the parts together and loaded me up some different loads to try. I loved the stock and the scope, but the factory trigger was horrible. So, he took it back home with him and picked me up a Trigger tech trigger and set it a 1.5 pounds and settled on a load using 140 grain Barnes bullets and IMR 4350, and brought it back to me a month or more back. About that time the heat of summer was on, and the one trip I took it out to maybe kill a hog I didn't see any. But, today was the day. I needed to go check my game cameras, so I got out the Creedmoor and headed to the lease.

Sure enough, I had hogs in my lane when I got there and a big boar crossed before I could get on my sticks.

A sow was in the weeds a little farther down and zoomed in the scope a little. I figure she was about 150-175 yards when I touched the trigger. She jumped! My first shot with that light trigger and it surprised me some. The hog ran, and bolted in another round. Hogs were darting back and forth across the road and finally a small pig hit the road and ran away instead of across. I shot, but missed.

I figured I had to have hit the first one, but since I surprised myself with the shot I wasn't completely sure. I went to look for her and she only went about 40 yards.

I never could find the entrance hole, but there was no doubt where the exit was. It left a golf ball size hole.

43679222182_2ecd2a7935_z_d.jpg

Should be the first of many for this rifle.

Last edited:
Yellowhammer: My son and I went to Texas 6 or 7 years ago with some friends. We hunted some where around Texarkana,I'm not sure where exactly but we had a blast.But their jobs took them elsewhere and now we can't ever seem to get together.Is there public land to hunt hogs that actually has hogs that haven't been run half to death?

Yellowhammer: My son and I went to Texas 6 or 7 years ago with some friends. We hunted some where around Texarkana,I'm not sure where exactly but we had a blast.But their jobs took them elsewhere and now we can't ever seem to get together.Is there public land to hunt hogs that actually has hogs that haven't been run half to death?

Last edited:
Most anywhere in Texas has hogs. Lots of public land has good numbers of hogs, but like most public land you will have company.

Some of the places I know of with good (bad) numbers of hogs are Old Sabine Bottom WMA, White Oak Creek WMA, Alazan Bayou WMA. Baiting isn't allowed on any of the public land except during certain drawn hunts, so you will have to work for them.

Back