Can suggestions for 223 AR

I like my thunderbeast ultra 7 .30 cal. I use it on my 223 AR as well as a few bolt guns. It’s light, quiet enough, and certainly doesn’t negatively affect accuracy. The ultra series is also made with 6.5 and 223 bores. For hunting and target shooting I think they’re great suppressors.

But the ultra series aren’t full auto rated suppressors. If that’s something you want you could look at the silencerco omega as a light full auto rated option, or the many all steel cans that will take any rate of fire. Those will be heavier for sure, other than that I don’t know much about them.

John trammels sport shop in Breckenridge deals Thunderbeast. He’s a great gunsmith and hunts so could definitely help you out. I’ve also dealt with capitol armory in Austin, it was a good experience.

Originally Posted By: TxPigKillerThanks, Ill try and get to Breckenridge, is he open on Saturday?

I think he may be, but best to call ahead

Just my thoughts, but having a lightweight can is worth the extra $$$$ to me. I have used both steel and lighter-weights on my AR's and very much prefer the lighter weights for my use as a calling and hunting gun. If I was just at the bench it would not be a big deal.

I have experience with the YHM-30 cal stainless. Love it, very quiet and very accurate. YHM also makes a titanium version which is lighter. I also have used the Surefire and SilencerCo.

They are all similar. My recommendation is to get something in the .30 cal range so that you can transition it between guns when you want to since you are going to be investing a lot of time and money into this venture you really want to get the most out of it.

For a Titanium can with a full auto rating, look at Q suppressors (liveQordie.com). Guy from the shop brought one down to the range and I asked a ton of questions. Their build is different from the other Ti cans out there. I would get one of their cans if I get another 30 cal.

I currently have 3 308 cans (YHM and Templar Tactical) and 2 5.56 cans (AAC and OSS). I shot the OSS yesterday for the first time(it's still in jail). All of these cans have been shot on FA platforms may times and for an automatic or semi automatic, I would look long and hard at the OSS. If it was a bolt gun I would probably go with the conventional baffle design but since you talked about an AR then blow back might be something to consider.

Originally Posted By: decanuckFor a Titanium can with a full auto rating, look at Q suppressors (liveQordie.com). Guy from the shop brought one down to the range and I asked a ton of questions. Their build is different from the other Ti cans out there. I would get one of their cans if I get another 30 cal.

Ti is Ti and Ti is the wrong material for a full auto rated can.

Always buy a 30 cal can, My Specwar does auto fire.
And no adjustable gas blocks on any of my rifles.
I was told here what to buy 4 years ago.

I have a Silencer CO 556 Spec War. It is full auto rated and you can do mag dumps. It is not considered a light can. However, it is super quiet on my my 556 in 14.5."

I believe I bought mine new for under $600.

What are you looking to do with the can? Hunting?

Originally Posted By: TonesterI have a Silencer CO 556 Spec War. It is full auto rated and you can do mag dumps. It is not considered a light can. However, it is super quiet on my my 556 in 14.5."

I believe I bought mine new for under $600.

What are you looking to do with the can? Hunting?

+1 Thats what I use aswell ...great suppressor.

One of the newer modular cans like the rugged surge that can have a 5.56 end cap or a 7.62 will give you a lot of versatility. That will allow you to use it on multiple hosts.

Last edited:
Like everyone else said, get a .30 cal, you WILL want to put it on everything. I would look for something with interchangeable rear mounts so you can easily adapt it to many guns (i.e. Omega, Nomad, Vox etc) even as a direct thread. Something in the 6"-7" range and under 16oz makes a nice hunting package.
Forget about used cans, there is basically no used market due to the stupid NFA rules.

Back