22-6.8

Brent Parker

For the guys with experience with this round what could I expect for speed with 69 grain bullets to 75 grains with a 18" barrel suppressed. Looking at other options for a calling rifle over my .223.

Last edited:
My 24" gun is pushing 77's at 3222 so an 18" will get right on 3050 or so. I would figure the 69's will be up another 100-150 or so. 55's have been up in the 37000 out of the 24" so that wil be right on 3500 with little difficulty. 40's will top 4000 in the long gun so maybe 3850 in an 19.

Greg

Glad to help. I just really like the cartridge. It does it all for me in a 22 AR. That being said there are other options on the horizon if things work out. Stuff that Piggy Bank!

Greg

LOL Not yet but some $$$'s are getting laid out for tooling. Parent brass is in hand, reamer prints are in hand. It's all up to when the first chamber is cut. Ritch will shoot it abd then one will be turned for me. Just like any of his designs they always get shot a bunch before anyone gets to go see their loan officer. On paper and in our minds this will be a hammer and a half based on a similar test run done last spring.

We have a couple barrrels/chambers in the general size area that will be used as a baseline comparison.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Bruised I'm intrigued. Will this still be AR-15 platform?
Thanks
Bobby

Yes and there are some tweakings going on on some old standards that we all love.

Greg

Originally Posted By: old catIs this magic round in .22 cal.?

Yes it is. That being said Ritch and I have a money pit cooking that will be a 6 MM but we've been kicking that one for about a year now. It will be worked out his winter and my be a two off but we will see. It's already involving a couple of well known AR manufacturers for special treatment.

Ritch will have some ideas to share with me quickly once we get a reamer stuck in some steel on this one. All wheels have been greased, a review of the literature has been done and computer modeling is ongoing as I type this.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterLOL Not yet but some $$$'s are getting laid out for tooling. Parent brass is in hand, reamer prints are in hand. It's all up to when the first chamber is cut. Ritch will shoot it abd then one will be turned for me. Just like any of his designs they always get shot a bunch before anyone gets to go see their loan officer. On paper and in our minds this will be a hammer and a half based on a similar test run done last spring.

We have a couple barrrels/chambers in the general size area that will be used as a baseline comparison.

Greg

You guy's could chamber a third one and I could find some time to help test...
thumbup1.gif

You've got another potential tester here. I've been eyeballing an AR in 6mm for a while now, thinking a lot about a Fat Rat. I've got the house up now, soon as it sells I'm going to be putting something together for some long range testing in the winter.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Nosgar with a shoulder change?

That wouldn't gain anything and would just be an exercise in wasting money IMHO. But then again does this all make any sense at all?
tongue_smilie.gif

Greg

Well I hear it's basically a 22 Nosler and they boast 3600 plus with nosgar brass. I thought maybe with the shoulder change there might be room for a little more powder to hit that 37 mark.
We've got the 22 Nosler, the 22 nosgar, the 6.8 SPC variance, the dti's the x 45's
I'm not sure what other case there is to build on but I'm no expert. Imo we need some slow twist options in the 22 and 6 millimeter stuff. If I were shooting a distance where b c mattered I most likely would be doing it with a bolt platform where oal is not an issue. I don't understand the long-range fast twist AR stuff but I live in IL.

Last edited:
Back