What spotting scope to buy?

seasley

I’m in the market for a spotting scope and do not know what power or brand to buy?

This will be used at range only and max yardage will be 200 yards

Please lmk what brand you guys think

Not looking to spend $1k, so please keep that in mind

Originally Posted By: seasleyI’m in the market for a spotting scope and do not know what power or brand to buy?

This will be used at range only and max yardage will be 200 yards

Please lmk what brand you guys think

Not looking to spend $1k, so please keep that in mind

Call the folks at CameraLand. They are sponsors here on PM.
Great folks to deal with and they have some really nice spotters, and they are usually running specials for PM members.

thumbup1.gif

Glad you found a spotting scope that fits your needs.

I'll just throw this out, as I haven't tried it but will in the near future. There's very good bridge camera's on the market - specifically the Nikon P900 and their new P1000. The P1000 is very close to a 77mm spotting scope with an excellent eye piece. I just read that description of the P1000 this morning and that's what got me thinking about these cameras.
crazy.gif

I have the P900 and right now there cost is less than $500.00. The P1000 is brand spanking new and the cost is right at $1,000.00.

With my P900 I'm able to tell the color of fingernail polish on a lady golfer's hand, as she's about to swing that club - that's at about 80 to 100 yards. I would think that camera could do double duty - 1st as a great zoom camera and second as a spotting scope at the range out to maybe 500/600 yards using "dirty bird" type targets. I know it's a great zoom camera for taking wildlife photos at a distance as well as a portrait camera for us amateur photographers.

As with all optics - air quality has a lot to do with picture clarity.

Back