6mm AR / 6 Grendel

Time to re-hash an old discussion. I found some older threads in the vault, but wanted to see if anyone had more recent experiences with the several years that have passed since the last threads. New powders, new people making barrels and uppers and increased popularity.

Thinking about building an upper in 6mm AR with 18" 8 twist to run the 70-90gn pills for yotes/pigs & whitetails here in Oklahoma.

Annnnd, go!

Still shooting the 243 LBC extensively here. It is a hammer for me at 500 in matches. It's basic ballistic twin the 6X6.8 is side by side with it.

Ritch designed both and for me I've had outstanding performance with 8208 and RL15.

I am sticking with Lapua brass in the LBC but will be testing some Starline in the near future.

Tactical Ordnance tubes from Ritch are getting more and more common on my uppers and a Savage version will be forth coming in a bolt gun soon.

Greg

What bolt are you shooting? I have heard varying sizes. Some say
the .125, some say the .136. To me, the beefier .136 makes more sense for more strength.

It also seems like the Grendel flavor would get the nod on better brass with Lapua, but the SPC variants have a minute edge on case capacity, bordering on irrelevant.

Last edited:
I shoot the 125. A 136 is not beefier. It allows 0.0112, nominaln more of the case head to hang out and be unsupported. If it were stronger we'd see more deep bolts. Also none if the KBC/6 Grendel cases use the compound throat like a SAMMI Grendel so don't buy into any smoke and mirrors about that.

As an aside the hew Young bolts in 7.62X39, 125, are stronger and beefier than ANY bolt on the market. Ritch and I did the beta testing on those.

Greg

Soo, what does the Okie have to do with the price of tea in China?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Soo, what does the Okie have to do with the price of tea in China?
smile.gif

I was born in Ponca City and have two degrees form the University of Oklahoma and Central State.
thumbup1.gif

Greg

I really want to put together a 20-22”, maybe talk myself into a 24” 6mm Grendel variant in some flavor. Part of me says i’d Be better off sticking with an AR-10 in 6.5 Creed, or just a plain ol’ 6.5 Grendel, for what I want to do, but I’d love to run 105 Hybrids it of an AR-15 - even if it was only 2600-2650ish.

I like the Fat Rat case, but don’t want to be beholden to single sources for dies, Reamers, barrels, etc. The Turbo, LBC, AR, Fat Rat... I just can’t decide which.

I’m building a couple of bolt guns currently, and just finished up a pair of SBR’s, now budgeting another for my son, so it’ll be a little while before I have to settle on a 6mm Grendel variant.

I’m also probably gonna blow $500 on a barrel, dies, and brass for a 22 Valkyrie just to shut up a coworker who swears they can’t be made to shoot well, because he can’t shoot his well, and some youtube dude can’t get his to shoot well either...

I have a 6 Predator barrel (essentially a 6 Grendel, it differs in freebore from the other variants) from AR Performance. I worked up a 108 ELD load and let it languish for awhile until it was time for longish range prairie dogs. It does this task very well since the comparatively low powder charge doesn't heat the barrel up as quickly as some cartridges, and reaching out to 1000 yards didn't max out my turrets with a 20 MOA mount. After a few outings my love for this cartridge grew and I wondered how it would do with lighter bullets. I loaded up some 55 Nosler Ballistic tips and found they traveled at 3500 FPS out of a 20" barrel. Now my fondness for this little round is huge. I can get good brass from Lapua and it could replace a 22 Nosler, a 22 DTI, and a 6.5 Grendel in one rifle. I won't be getting rid of any of the afore mentioned, but you could do it all with one if need be. Definitely one for consideration if you are in the market for a rifle that does it all reasonably well. I say reasonably well because obviously there are faster, flatter shooting cartridges available in bolt guns, but in the AR-15's I own this one seems to be king.

I had a 6LBC and it was a dandy rifle, and as accurate as you could ever ask for. In the end I kept the 6.5 Grendel for the ft/lbs of energy that it gave down range. Great cartridge though, Mine liked 87 g. VLD's @2900, it shot .5 MOA pretty regular.

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieI have a 6 Predator barrel (essentially a 6 Grendel, it differs in freebore from the other variants) from AR Performance. I worked up a 108 ELD load and let it languish for awhile until it was time for longish range prairie dogs. It does this task very well since the comparatively low powder charge doesn't heat the barrel up as quickly as some cartridges, and reaching out to 1000 yards didn't max out my turrets with a 20 MOA mount. After a few outings my love for this cartridge grew and I wondered how it would do with lighter bullets. I loaded up some 55 Nosler Ballistic tips and found they traveled at 3500 FPS out of a 20" barrel. Now my fondness for this little round is huge. I can get good brass from Lapua and it could replace a 22 Nosler, a 22 DTI, and a 6.5 Grendel in one rifle. I won't be getting rid of any of the afore mentioned, but you could do it all with one if need be. Definitely one for consideration if you are in the market for a rifle that does it all reasonably well. I say reasonably well because obviously there are faster, flatter shooting cartridges available in bolt guns, but in the AR-15's I own this one seems to be king.

I found this same thing. It's the rifle I reach for the most. So mild mannered, only 28 grains of powder, long barrel life, and flat out performs. Instead of working up separate loads with light and heavy bullets I "settled" on the 87 gr vmax for everything, at roughly 2900 fps.

Following,
I just recently got a 6.5 grendel, but am getting a 6 grendel upper built to use on steel and coyotes, hoping to run the 90 to 95 grain bulets.

Try the 87 vmax, cheap, shoots great, only bc of .4 but I've had great luck with them.I just picked up another 1k of them as blems at the factory. Never had one blow a big hole, usually quarter size. Wish I had it today for a 350 yd shot, just didn't have confidence in the 204 I was trying.

Back