Coyote leg holds

yotehunter243

Looking to get into trapping coyotes strictly on my deer lease. Calling and killing 3 or 4 a year just isn't doing it on this property. So I have followed along with a guy who traps several hundred a year and he has shown me what I should be doing and what traps he uses. But was wanting other advise on traps as well.

I use Schmitt Enterprises, they have a web site. The money you spend up front on the equipment will save time tinkering with the traps later. MB 550s are good traps, but any good 4 coiled, base plated, with good chain will certainly get you going.

Be real careful with that free ranging dog thing. Couple of dogs got into snares here a year or 2 ago and the antis haven't let up since. The dogs were running loose on public ground and the trapper was completely legal. Thankfully the antis haven't gotten anywhere, but they have run up extensive legal bills for all parties. I'm sure you are aware that you don't live in WY, trapping is a touchy subject back east.

Originally Posted By: WyYoteKillerBe real careful with that free ranging dog thing. Couple of dogs got into snares here a year or 2 ago and the antis haven't let up since. The dogs were running loose on public ground and the trapper was completely legal. Thankfully the antis haven't gotten anywhere, but they have run up extensive legal bills for all parties. I'm sure you are aware that you don't live in WY, trapping is a touchy subject back east. what gets me is, they will throw a fit over one wild dog being trapped but could care less if 15 of them get ran over by a car

Last edited:
You don't need to spend a bunch of money on high end traps to be successful. I've trapped hundreds of coyotes with #1 3/4 or #2 bridgers and victors. #3 work fine but not really necessary. 2 coil traps are fine to. I would recommend using offset jaws. I got a couple high end traps just to try them and they work great but not really any better than the budget traps.

Back