Funny remark at the Gun Show today

pyscodog

I was at a table looking at two rifles. One a Remington with a 20" threaded barrel and the other a Savage with a 24" barrel. I could get the Savage considerably cheaper and made the comment to the owner that I could always have the barrel "cut down". Out of the blue, this guy standing next to me said, ya, the ATF would love that. Me and the owner looked at each other and said [beeep]???? He tries to tell us that is against the law to cut a barrel down and if I wanted a shorter barrel, I should just buy a factory rifle with a shorter barrel. I thought to myself.... a perfect example of mis-informed people. Luckily he didn't stick around to debate his comment.

And I didn't buy either one of the rifles. LOL

Last edited:
Aint it just amazing how dumb some folks are, Bill? I have heard so much BS from so many people over the years we could start another long winded thread here. A few examples:

It's against the law to put a scope on a handgun as that would be the same as a short barreled rifle.

When shooting a .44 Magnum handgun you have to aim about a foot under the target because recoil will make it shoot way high if you dont.

I have a revolver that will shoot .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt.

A .223 is not as fast as a .22/250 but it has more energy.

I have see-through scope mounts on my 7mm mag because I just use iron sights on all my shots less than 500 yards.

Man. I could go all day with this one. Everyone has heard their fair share of knee slappers over the years. I hope that some others will join in with a few of theirs.

Yes,he world is full of them, just when you thought it was save to come to a gun show. I did gun shows for about 20 years and you hear it all. "But honey you have a barrel for your shotgun" A guy with his wife only looks.

"I can buy that over at Joe's table for $400" I ask, "Does he have any". "Well,NO" I said "I sell them for $400 also when I don't have any".

I never put prices on anything. I had a sign that said "FOR DISPLAY ONLY, ORDERS TAKEN"

That way I only sold to whomever I liked. Keep the idiots at bay. "LOL"

Tulsa Wanamaker gun show -

Factory rifles are "choked" at the muzzle, and if you shorten the barrel, it will pattern more like a shotgun!

A 223 will NOT kill a coyote, the bullets just bounce off!

A 243 Winchester will NOT kill a deer!

A shotgun will NOT kill a deer, regardless of load!

A 460 Weatherby Magnum does NOT have much recoil!

A "semi-automatic" rifle, shotgun or pistol is illegal to own and shoot!

A pistol will NOT kill a deer!

Threaded barrels are illegal!

A Ruger #1 is an old black powder gun!

Savage rifles, regardless of caliber, are NOT capable of shooting past 100 yards!

Labrador Retrievers are NOT hunting dogs, they are the meanest guard dog around!

STUPID PEOPLE are why I quit going to the gun shows!

Here is one:

“It would have hit harder if I had been a little further away”

A custom butcher told that one about his 22 Mag rifle when he did not place his hit properly, he blamed his being “too close” on the hit being less than successful on one of our bovines.

Three 44s

Yet another example is when my wife and I were in college. She was in the library one day having a discussion with the librarian that her husband (me) shoots groundhogs with a 22-250. A young college boy standing nearby spoke up, trying to impress the women with his firearms knowledge and said " I have a.22 magnum, it's the same thing." My wife proceeded to give him a real education, stating that a 22-250 is a centerfire and a .22 magnum is a rimfire. She really took the wind out of his sails. He limped on out of the library with ego barely intact.

Originally Posted By: Three 44sHere is one:

“It would have hit harder if I had been a little further away”

A custom butcher told that one about his 22 Mag rifle when he did not place his hit properly, he blamed his being “too close” on the hit being less than successful on one of our bovines.

Three 44s

I was at our club range one day when a fellow showed up to sight in his brand new 300 Something Whizbang MAGNUM. The range was 300 yards long but shooting benches and house were located @ 100 yards. I was shooting from indoor bench and he set up on outside bench. A narrow roadway ran from range gate, between house & outside bench to the target line.

After trying unsuccessfully and repeatedly to hit the 2' square target off sandbags @ 100, the fellow came over and informed me the problem was he was too close to the target for this here MAGNUM so he was moving back to the gate. I replied, "Wait a minute, I was just leaving."

Regards,
hm

A guy told me the other day he loves his 50 cal. Shooting a 750 gr bullet the load he worked up for it was over 4k fps!!!

A guy was telling me about the BORS system on his 338 lapua and nightforce. That thing is amazing! You don't even have to sight your gun in!

Guy told me all he uses for cow elk now is his 204! Behind the ear! Just to prove a point!
(That one is actually true, he's my uncle. 3 for 3)

Originally Posted By: nightcallerA guy told me the other day he loves his 50 cal. Shooting a 750 gr bullet the load he worked up for it was over 4k fps!!!

A guy was telling me about the BORS system on his 338 lapua and nightforce. That thing is amazing! You don't even have to sight your gun in!

Guy told me all he uses for cow elk now is his 204! Behind the ear! Just to prove a point!
(That one is actually true, he's my uncle. 3 for 3)

Never used a 204, but I did pop a cow with a 17 Remington once. 25 gr factory ammo, she never twitched.

If I ever get low on smiles, I am going to a gun show! If second hand accounts are this good, a gun show is probably equivalent to doing 100 sit-ups
w00t.gif

not specifically gun show, but at least gun shop stupid....

buddy calls me the other day - he saw about the "ghost gun" ruling - on his way home from his LGS.

he was hoping to buy him an 80% lower, but of course that shop doesnt sell them (not shocking).

he's asking all kinds of questions and the counter guy's like "look i dunno much about them, but that guy does"

so he wanders over to "that guy".... the dude told him all kinds of bs... like.. ya - finishing a lower is legal, but you not only have to serialize it, but you also have to register it with the BATFE once you do. and here's the real knee slapper - you're ONLY allowed to build one. ever. period.

blink.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Quote:The lead will ruin the barrels!
I cried laughing! It will only ruin the barrel and probably the shooter if it is not cleaned out on a routine basis...We used to shoot a lot of lead wad cutters at the police revolver matches...A Lewis Lead Remover was part of our daily tool kit...I have seen neglected barrels accumulate enough lead to bulge and split the barrel...

Not really funny, but maddening.....

I once ordered a barrel for a T/C Encore in .25-06. Once
installed, there was a bad gap between receiver and barrel.
I brought it up with T/C Customer non-Service and they would do
nothing about it, saying it was within their "specs". That
barrel never would do better than 4" groups. I then went to a
LGS where the counter guy said they were all like that, showed
me an Encore pistol which had the same gap as my new barrel. He
then said they had to have a gap, or they wouldn't have the
clearance needed to close. I told him my brother bought a
Charles Daley double barrel in the '60's which, when closed
on a piece of paper, wouldn't allow the paper to be removed.
He just shrugged his shoulders and walked away from me.

I then went back home and reinstalled the original barrel which
was the 209x50. There was a very small gap, but nothing like
the barrel I had ordered.

Later, I talked to Steve Stratton of Virgin Valley Custom Guns
who told me I was given nothing but excuses by both the LGS
and T/C, and that they could make me a barrel which fit
correctly. It is a Tac 20 and the fit is just like my brother's
Charles Daley.

Excuses for sloppy workmanship vs. quality which needs no
excuses. There is no longer VVCG now, but most of those guys
started another company, Match Grade Machine.

The path of a bullet as it leaves the barrel and the why, is always my favorite discussion to listen to.

Originally Posted By: CZ527
Never used a 204, but I did pop a cow with a 17 Remington once. 25 gr factory ammo, she never twitched.

I found a Cow that had been azz shot. The femur was broken and folded up under her so she wasn't going anywhere.
I was Coyote hunting so all I had with me was my 17Rem but I couldn't let her suffer any longer so I shot her in the ear at about 20 feet with a 25gr Nagel HP. She acted like she wasn't even hit. I had to get in front of her and shoot her between the eyes to finish the deed.

Here's pic of the original would in the right butt cheek. You can also see that the leg has a compound fracture and is folded up under her.

I stopped by the landowners place on my way out and told him what I found. He called the guys that shot and lost her and they retrieved the carcass.

I'm curious to know which states are stupid enough to allow the use of 17 and 204 calibers for Elk?

he might mean domesticated cow. like in a raised for burger king cow. or not.

surely there is no where you can legally hunt elk with a 17 rem or 204. least i hope not.

17hmr maybe.

Didn't happen at a gun show but I went to pick up some .22mag ammo the other day and all I saw were full metal jacket so I decided not to buy any. The guy at the counter said "Do you really think hollowpoints really matter in a .22? I always laugh at people that think there's any difference.".....Really? Well ain't I silly? I never knew that.

I've only killed enough jackrabbits,cottontails and prairie dogs to feed several large tribes throughout the world for a few years at least,with that particular caliber. I can't believe I'm not aware of what works well and what doesn't. I'm stupid.

Last edited:
Back