Perseverance in the face of adversity

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
In our last post I joked that "it's too hot" was officially off the list of reasons NOT to hunt. I was wondering about the wisdom of that position as AzBushman and I hunted yesterday.

We wanted to head out and get some more video. We had so much fun making the last video that we couldn't wait to do more. Unfortunately Mr. Murphy teamed up with Mother Nature in an attempt to thwart our efforts. First, the super full moon. Bushman and I don't have very good luck on the full moon. Friday and Saturday saw winds, rain and lightning. But we nervously watched the weather reports and thought we spotted an opportunity. We hoped that the Saturday night storms would pin them down and help to counteract the moon.

Sunday found us battling not only heat, but now humidity. Imagine 90 degree temp with 70-80% humidity. UGHHH! One thing I can say for certain, you can't kill coyotes from the comfort of your living room, so we sucked it up and sweated it out.

Our first 6 stands saw us calling in a fox, 4 deer and then this little guy. But he was hightailing it uphill which made us wonder if more rains were coming. We also noticed that the ground was not as wet as it should have been indicating that the rains had let up earlier in the night which made us think that the coyotes may have still gotten out in the full moon.

20180729_123557 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

But we pressed on, relocating into an area that has an active ranch. We know that when we find cows, water and fields we usually find coyotes. Stand 7 had us about a mile from water, 3/4 mile from cows and about 1/2 mile from the ranch. We dropped the call out ahead of us and started calling.
july 29 coyote miss stand overview by Jason Mosler, on Flickr
Because our previous 6 stands drew blanks, our proximity to the ranch
and the fact that this area gets called frequently we opted to use some kitten distress sounds. Mr. Murphy and Mother Nature found us and the wind shifted on us instead of coming across our backs, it started coming from our left. That was when I spotted a pair of coyotes between us and the cows. One was about 300 yards out while the other was only about 100 yards. The closer of the two was working his was towards us on the down wind leg. It was definitely curious, not so aggressive, but it was very curious. Unfortunately, I was on the camera. So the several good opportunities that I had to take shots, I did with the camera. Bushman was hindered by, ironically, the bushes and had to take a head shot through the brush while his reticle was obscuring what he could see of the coyote's head. Well, Murphy got us and the shot went high. Mr. Coyote lived to fight another day.
double miss stand 4 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

But we were buoyed by the double, and we headed up the road. unfortunately there was a line of vehicles also heading up the road. We took the opportunity to grab a two track that went up the hill from another ranch and into a draw.

We crested the hill, saw that the draw dropped downhill into a valley.
july 29 coyote stand 2 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr
We set up, again to watch the downwind leg. Again, Murphy and Mama Nature conspired and the wind shifted yet again. It was blowing down into the valley, but then shifted to come right from behind us. Right then Bushman clicks to me and nods to the hill across from us. I slowly scan and on my second pass I see the coyote start cautiously down the hill. As it passed behind a bush, I moved my rifle. This time I had mounted the camera on my rifle. How's that Mr. Murphy? She moves out from behind the bush and stops and is watching the bush that the call is situated in. Again, kitten distress calls were a curiosity. She paused and looked like she had come in about as far as she was going to. A well placed shot to the chest, and we had succeeded. In this case her tendencies with wind had failed her and put her right in the hot seat.
Resized952018072995114359951536 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

We are in the editing stage for the video from this weekend and hope to have it sometime this week. In the meantime I hope you enjoy the read.

Great writeup Jason. Thx for sharing.

Quote: Imagine 90 degree temp with 70-80%

Try:
42755691365_5176b8570a_h.jpg

This is the norm down here.
unsure.gif

Regards,
hm

Thanks again for another stellar story/diagram/narrative that helps those of us newer to the sport, Jason. I'm learning a lot from these diagrams and will be putting this to use in the near future (been traveling a lot for my job). The desert is such an amazing environment in which to hunt coyotes and I am really enjoying learning how they navigate the wide variety of terrain. As always this is much appreciated. Looking forward to more in the future!

Originally Posted By: hm1996Great writeup Jason. Thx for sharing.

Quote: Imagine 90 degree temp with 70-80%

Try:
42755691365_5176b8570a_h.jpg

This is the norm down here.
unsure.gif

Regards,
hm

People chuckle when we say "it's a dry heat." But they really don't understand that we can handle 110's to the 120's out here because it is so dry. The humidity with temps anywhere near the 100's is BRUTAL.

We slog through it, but it just not as enjoyable.

Originally Posted By: AZDesertThunderThanks again for another stellar story/diagram/narrative that helps those of us newer to the sport, Jason. I'm learning a lot from these diagrams and will be putting this to use in the near future (been traveling a lot for my job). The desert is such an amazing environment in which to hunt coyotes and I am really enjoying learning how they navigate the wide variety of terrain. As always this is much appreciated. Looking forward to more in the future!

We really have a good time taking people out and getting to write about our hunting adventures. The addition of the video has just made it that much more fun and more frustrating. We hunted from 3am until almost noon, and with that, plus almost 16 hours of editing looks like we might get a 7 minute video.

The desert has a beauty all it's own.

Quote:people chuckle when we say "it's a dry heat." But they really don't understand that we can handle 110's to the 120's out here because it is so dry. The humidity with temps anywhere near the 100's is BRUTAL.

Amen! Was out for a few minutes to take a picture & temp. was 103. I was surprised until I checked humidity was only 42 0r 3. It does make a difference, but when it gets in triple digits, its still darn hot!

Really enjoying your stories w/satelite details. Keep 'em comin'.
thumbup.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:people chuckle when we say "it's a dry heat." But they really don't understand that we can handle 110's to the 120's out here because it is so dry. The humidity with temps anywhere near the 100's is BRUTAL.

Amen! Was out for a few minutes to take a picture & temp. was 103. I was surprised until I checked humidity was only 42 0r 3. It does make a difference, but when it gets in triple digits, its still darn hot!

Really enjoying your stories w/satelite details. Keep 'em comin'.
thumbup.gif

Regards,
hm

Will do. Thanks for the reviews. It helps us make better videos.

Originally Posted By: OchocobullWhat a great write up. Thanks so much for sharing.

You are welcome. Let us know if it helps.

Back