If you were building a rifle... .223 Wylde or 5.56 NATO

2AMedic

Looking to build a coyote rifle and trying to decide if going for the Wylde is worth the extra cost. I understand there are technical differences with pressures, leades, etc. But as far as real world accuracy using quality hunting style ammo, will one outperform the other? Or will the ultimate variable (me, the average/novice level shooter) make the difference negligible? I have been leaning towards the White Oak 18" Predator or an 18" Criterion Hybrid, both of which are .223W. Also considering an 18" BA Hanson for the 5.56 option.

Just looking for some opinions. Thanks!

Last edited:
The Wylde MIGHT be a bit better in the accuracy area but the shooter might be a huge part of it too in the final distillation.

You might talk to Ritch about a Tactical Ordnance barre. They are shooting very well and have the chamber you are interested in.

Greg

Flip a coin. Most of my bolt guns are wylde, most of my AR’s are 5.56, but a couple cross over in each. If I told you I thought there was a significant difference in performance with me behind the trigger, I’d be lying.

Personally ive stuck with 556. Just because i have several in that chamber and most of my friends have 556 also. So in a real bad pinch, we can use each others ammo if needed. I did have to do this on a hog hunt once. I showed uo with several magazines of 300 blackout on accident. Luckily, i grabbed some of their ammo and we went on hunting.

As far as accuracy goes I'm sure it's very difficult to tell the difference between the two especially at the short distances that I personally shoot an AR. Now if you're planning on doing some competition shooting with an AR that's a different story then I think it probably will matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe Wylde MIGHT be a bit better in the accuracy area but the shooter might be a huge part of it too in the final distillation.

Greg

Greg nailed that. I haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe that Wylde is magical. They both shoot fine. Ammo, optic, shooter all have a greater effect. I think a lot of 5.56 mil surplus ammo is junk. But a good quality .223 will shoot well out of either one.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoI think a lot of 5.56 mil surplus ammo is junk. But a good quality .223 will shoot well out of either one.

That sure is the truth there. I have seen some 5.56 ball that would only shoot about a 7" group out all three of my .223 rifles. OK, it's not target stuff I know that but how can three different guns shoot the same ammo so crappy? No ball ammo has ever gave me amazing groups with my guns but some of the surplus stuff is way lousy.

It can sure vary from load yo load and rifle to rifle. I have an Olympic Ultramatch that will shoot LC 55 grain ball into 5/8 literally all day long. Other rifles I have only do about 1.25 with it. I've found IMI to do pretty well across the board. Winchester white box does about 1 3/8 no matter what I put it in.

Greg

Chamber probably makes very little difference but Id opt for a bit longer barrel to get some speed. Im starting to think a 50 ballistic tip over benchmark out of a 22" barrel might be pretty good on coyotes. My 24 runs em 3430ish if I recall but a 24" bull is too much to lug around.

Last edited:

My old bushmaster 20 varmint, I bought before they were sold. It is like the VEX-SS Windham Weaponry sells now. It shoots better I can hold. It cost a lot back then and had to wait 5 months. It has the Wylde chamber (0.080 ogive). No threaded barrel but is fluted. I would buy it again, call Windham Weaponry buy one.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoI think a lot of 5.56 mil surplus ammo is junk. But a good quality .223 will shoot well out of either one.

That sure is the truth there. I have seen some 5.56 ball that would only shoot about a 7" group out all three of my .223 rifles. OK, it's not target stuff I know that but how can three different guns shoot the same ammo so crappy? No ball ammo has ever gave me amazing groups with my guns but some of the surplus stuff is way lousy.

I had a guy tell me that his AR wouldn't group. I take that very seriously as a builder and armorer. I went to the range with him and tried to put him on paper, sure enough, BANG, his shot impacts 6 feet right of target at 100 yards. Then he was back on paper, then off again. Turned out he was shooting 62gr LAP military surplus junk. We switched him over to high quality ammo and he was grouping around an inch. Then he says, "but I got a good deal on it and I bought 2,000 rounds." Oh well, looks like you got a lot of noisemakers and not much else.

milsurp ball ammo is often just more proof that when you shop for the cheapest product available.... you usually get the cheapest product available.

justsayin.....

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Chamber probably makes very little difference but Id opt for a bit longer barrel to get some speed. Im starting to think a 50 ballistic tip over benchmark out of a 22" barrel might be pretty good on coyotes. My 24 runs em 3430ish if I recall but a 24" bull is too much to lug around.

My thoughts exactly. Chamber differences are probably negligible for what you want to use it for, but I would definitely order the longest pipe you care to deal with. You're going to be shooting coyotes, not clearing rooms with it.

There should be no difference in cost between a Wylde an any other chamber. If someone is charging more they are ripping you off.

"Ogive or not to Ogive" I shoot 55gr Lake City in my Mini Mauser, all the time. Target is 50 yards top two are cold bore shoots. That is right 5,56mm rounds thru a little bolt action. All the things you read about to scare you.

XkgesG2.jpg

If you plan to shoot lighter, varmint bullets, WOA does a proprietary, short freebore "varmint" chamber with their 1:12" twist varmint contour barrels that shoots insanely well.

Originally Posted By: mensajdIf you plan to shoot lighter, varmint bullets, WOA does a proprietary, short freebore "varmint" chamber with their 1:12" twist varmint contour barrels that shoots insanely well.

i have a 20" WOA Varmint Profile 1:7 twist that shoots heavy's insanely well too. it shoots 75gr Hornady BTHP well enough to dust charcoal briquettes at 185 yds with ease.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/barrels/varmint-predator-barrels/20-varmint-barrels.html

i havent run anything super light through it yet, but it shoots 55's, 68's and 75's equally well. i've got half MOA or better loads for each @ 100 yds

I have direct experience with several WOA and Dtech uppers and agree that they are outstanding. My point is - if you are shooting 53gr v-max (high BC for weight and pretty accurate) or lighter, then 5.56 and Wylde chambers are sub-optimal due to excessive freebore for that class of bullets. Forget about chasing the lands with a 5.56 or Wylde chamber and light bullets! Just pointing out an additional chamber option for a varmint/predator class gun.

Last edited:
Quote:i havent run anything super light through it yet, but it shoots 55's, 68's and 75's equally well. i've got half MOA or better loads for each @ 100 yds
Nice! I've shot 5/8" MOA groups with my 20" MOA 1:8 using 40 grain Vmax and Accurate 2230 thru mine.

I got the 5.56 NATO chamber, 223 Wlyde would be interesting though.

Back