Unwanted response to calls

I've had many critters come in while out calling. I have "called" in a human 2 different times. The second time I caught the guy sneaking towards the "terribly hurt animal" (his words not mine) which was me on a hand call.
3 separate times I had domesticated dogs come in. The 3rd one snuck in right behind me in fresh snow. Never knew he was there until I could hear him breathing right behind me. That dog almost got hit with 3.5" of T shot. Hoping the law passes here stating that any dog on a WMA has to be leashed unless they are hunting because each dog was on a WMA.
6 or 7 deer
3 owls and (no b.s.) I had a bald eagle circle about 80 feet or so above me once while calling. That was cool.

ALWAYS IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET " Before shooting "

You will call in many different species, part of the excitement of calling. You never know what might show up next !

Hawks, owls, (they both will steal a decoy topper), cows, house cats, a few dogs, raccoons, quite a few deer, horses, donkeys, llamas, people.

One piece of advice, if you are using an Ecaller and the herd of cows come running, mute the call and go get it before the cows get it. And in case you ever wonder, the bull is in charge in the pasture, you're just his guest.

I’ve called in owls, hawks, domestic dogs, racoons, a domestic cat once, cattle, and deer.

I’ve had a few doe deer come charging pretty close when playing fawn cries/distress.

See the post above about cattle, it’s very true.

Several times. The most memorable was a doe coming in to a fawn distress, and walked up to my buddy sitting with his back to it, on a stool. It came within 6 feet of him and stomped and snorted at him for several minutes. He didn’t move, and eventually she wandered off. So of course I had to turn the call back on and she turned right around and came towards him. He was much less tolerant the second time and he stood up, so she split. Hilarious to watch, unfortunately I was laying on my phone during the encounter.

Same as what everyone else has said, called in birds other critters and people plenty of times. Two does stomping my caller was a good one.

Barred owls seem to like feline distress. Hawks, a couple humans, dogs, including a doberman wearing a sweatshirt. Most unwelcome was a big bear one January day while only carrying a 222.

WOW ! I never would have thought prey animals would respond. Shocked to hear about deer, cows, llamas Etc. It also never occured to me that a bear might respond. That could be a problem. I work second shift so will be hunting in the morning, Monday to Friday. That should minimize chance of contact with other people.

Last edited:
ive called in great horned owls several times now. thanks to a vibrant grey squirrel population there are several resident birds on our property. i haven't had a decoy snatched yet but have had several very close calls.
thumbup1.gif

weirdest unexpected visitor was a momma deer. rabbit distress was freaking her out - we're talking full meltdown mode.. she was snorting, stamping, running back and forth (kind of like charging) and jumping all around my caller and decoy. ive never seen a deer act like that in my life. i regret not recording it.

[edit]
i gave up hunting some local state land after a few trips in a row calling in a two legged critter. one guy actually came into the call with his kids...

Last edited:
I have called in numerous deer with fawn sounds and 3 Black bears with rabbit and fawn sounds... bears will come in super close especially during the summer months... 2 of them were within 15 yds looking for the distressed animal.

Like everyone else said, called in many different animals. The two scariest are, for me, bear and skunks. Skunks always sneak up on me!

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterLike everyone else said, called in many different animals. The two scariest are, for me, bear and skunks. Skunks always sneak up on me!

lol.gif
I'd hate to call in a skunk!!!
I've called in 3 bears on purpose during bear season and 2 on accident during turkey season. Not to fond of the accidental ones

I've called in a few hunters over the years to the point I don't use a howler on public lands anymore, nothing scarier than seeing some guy on a hill glassing your stand area with his scope.

Lots of dogs and range cows, a badger in to my shoelaces to see how close he would come. Usually having a hawk come to the call is a good omen, lots of magpies. A number of small herds of mule deer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSI've called in a few hunters over the years to the point I don't use a howler on public lands anymore, nothing scarier than seeing some guy on a hill glassing your stand area with his scope.

Lots of dogs and range cows, a badger in to my shoelaces to see how close he would come. Usually having a hawk come to the call is a good omen, lots of magpies. A number of small herds of mule deer.

We have called in a few hunters over the years and they are the only thing I would consider an unwanted response, all the other critters are kinda fun to see come in.

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieI did call in an 18 wheeler once and that takes the cake as the most unwanted lol

At least you didn't call in a, well, "dirty hippy." LOL.

Like others, I have called birds of prey, crows, dogs and a guy while I was using a box call and turkey hunting. One time I called in a very nice whitetail buck while trying to get a coyote or bobcat out of a deep hollow. Deer season ended two days prior, and one time I called a black bear that was unexpected.

Way back,,,, the year I graduated high school. I was bow hunting up a tree near an apple orchard. I would use a mouth call right before I would leave the woods( I worked afternoon shift). I called in a red tailed hawk. It landed in a branch 3" from my face, we stared at each other for what seemed to me was 15 mins, most likely 15 sec. He got bored and flew away, scared the crap out of me but was very cool. I saw every detail of that bird especially how big and sharp the talons are.

Mike

Back