Remington BDL wood stock refinishing

I have a 20-222 build going together right now and I'm going with a classic BDL Custom Deluxe "look" on this build, with the exception all the metal will be cerakoted black instead of being blued.

I'm using a real pretty Rem BDL Walnut stock I took off another gun some years ago and it's a real pretty piece of wood. I seriously considered trying to strip that glossy plastic like coating they have on them and going with a hand rubbed oil finish instead but I was worried I'd eff the stock up and have a real mess so I chickened out and left it alone but reading this is making me second guess myself.

Funny story, to me anyway, and I swear its true. The stock I refinished was just an old BDL with a few bumps and bruises from years of use. I got it from a gunsmith for free. After all the work stripping it and putting a nice oil finish on it, like a lot of my guns, it went to the gunshow. A dealer stopped me and ask if the rifle was for sale and I told him it was. After a bit of haggling I sold him the rifle. After money changed hands and he was holding the rifle, he ask me if I knew what I had just sold him. I replied, just a Remington. He chuckled and said that I just sold him a European Remington with a hand rubbed oil finish stock and they were rare. I just smiled and said I guess you got to me on this one and walked off thinking I wonder if my smith had any more stock he wanted rid of. I swear this is true!

Use grey scotch bright. Or synthetic steel wool as it’s known. Or the 0000 steel wool. That’ll take away the shine. I just finished one with the grey and it turned out nice and no shine.

Originally Posted By: Tracker0721Use grey scotch bright. Or synthetic steel wool as it’s known. Or the 0000 steel wool. That’ll take away the shine. I just finished one with the grey and it turned out nice and no shine.

+1

I stripped one, never again. 0000 steel wool for me or Scotch Bright, easy, quick, great results.

It will all depend on if your just wanting to kill the shine or actually refinish the stock. I wanted mine refinished so I stripped it. I steamed out all the dent and scratch's too. My stock was close to pristine as I could get it and that was the look I was after. If you have a Grainger Supply close, you might get the different Scotch Bright pads from them.

Back