6.5 Creedmoor COAL

Bowhunt

Anyone out there handloading 130 Bergers? Just wondering how far off the lands most guys are seating them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BowhuntAnyone out there handloading 130 Bergers? Just wondering how far off the lands most guys are seating them.

VLD’s?

Originally Posted By: BowhuntI'll have to look I think they're "hunting" or hybrids. Not home at the moment. They are definitely not VLDs

The “hunting” are hunting VLD’s, and the target are VLD’s.
The only 130 Hybrids they show are the 130 gr AR Hybrid OTM Tactical.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: BowhuntAnyone out there handloading 130 Bergers? Just wondering how far off the lands most guys are seating them.

VLD’s?

The box says VLD Hunting

Then I would seat them .005 into the lands or .010 off the lands, and work up a safe charge weight.

.005 in seems to be the thing.

You always want to be more aware when you are loading with bullets jammed. If you seat bullets out to where they are into the lands, sometimes when you extract a loaded round the bullet can stick in the lands and it'll pull it out of the case. You'll end up with a chamber and action full of powder and you'll need to tap the bullet out of the barrel with a cleaning rod.

IMO, for a hunting rifle, using an OAL that has the bullets jammed, is never a good idea.

I shoot a lot of Berger bullets and zero to 5thou off generally works well for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527Then I would seat them .005 into the lands or .010 off the lands, and work up a safe charge weight.

.005 in seems to be the thing.

+1 be sure to read B23's post.

you can jam up to .003 in a hunting rifle and not get into trouble, but as always, range time is how to prove loads and reliability.

Some rifles have a heck of a time with Berger bullets that are not of a "classic hunter" design. I had one Creed that loved the Hornady 140g BTHP the best, and I shot deer with it...H4350, bullet touching the lands.

Back