Heavy grain fast twist 22-250

Remington92

Hey all I just picked up a new 22-250 with 1:9 twist barrel and need some recommendations for powder and loads. I’m planning to run either 69gr Sierra mk or 73gr eld Match bullets. Currently playing with h4350, h4895 and superformance cause I had it on the shelf. Thanks in advance!

This may or may not be relevant, as I have never used 4350 or Superformance.
Over a decade ago, I pulled a .30-06 barrel off an Oberndorf Gewher '98 (which I had previously rebarrelled from 7.9x57 Mauser) and screwed on a Shilen 26" standard (non-A.I.) .22-250 rifled 1 in 9"
If you think .22-250 heavy bullet data is hard to come by now, you should have tried finding information back then. Through semi-educated guesses, some careful math, and hopefully linear deductions, I settled on 36.0 grains of W760, and, later, 38.0 grains of H4831. This was in concert with Federal 210 Gold Medal Match primers and the Hornady 75 grain A-Max, but I've been using the same concoction behind the 80 grain A-Max for quite a few years now.
Obviously, any information rooted up on the internet should definitely be thoroughly cross-examined, but I've never had a sticky bolt lift, flattened primer, or any such indication of Impending Bad Things with these loads in MY rifle. Yours may fly into a fit of High Speed Self Disassembly.
Coincidentally, I just hauled old Obie out day before yesterday to show it a bit of affection, seeing as that I hadn't shot it in a couple of months. I'll attempt to attach a photo of my target. DISCLAIMER: I am no great rifle shot, and I had the rifle laid over a bunched-up work shirt on top of my old pickup hood. Also, I only have a cheap 3x-9x Redfield on it, and I'm battling the effects of what age does to vision.
Anyway, W760 averaged a tad over 3,200 F.P.S., and H4831 went a bit over 3,100. As can be seen in the (hopefully) attached photo, the 80 grain V-Max will shoot as good or better than I can see or guide them. From experience, I can say that 75 V-Ms will do as good or better in my particular barrel.
Forgot to work it in earlier, but all my rifle shooting is at 175 yards, that being the furthest I can safely shoot here with a solid backstop.

*Sigh*.... Okay, I don't mess with computer stuff much, and can't figure out how to attach a picture. Will gladly e-mail them on request.
Anyway, 36.0 of W760 grouped nicely at 1 1/8" at 175 yards.
38.0 grains of H4831 went 1 3/8". Both were paired with F210GMM primers and Hornady 80 grain V-Maxs and shoot better than I can see.
Now, there is one VERY ODD thing about the 80 grain V-Maxs.....I ground off all the polymer noses with a sanding disc chucked in a DeWalt hand drill. Been doing it as Standard Operating Procedure for years.
When I first started shooting the 80 V-Ms, they "patterned" instead of grouped. Target looked almost as if I'd been shooting it with a Mini-14. Was bad. Never had any tumble, but it seemed that the holes in the target paper weren't PERFECTLY round. One goofy thought and experiment led to another, and I ended up at my range with a handful of pointless A-Maxs....and it worked! I've since talked with one other person who does the same thing, but didn't ask his twist rate like I should have.
I find it hard to believe that it is a weight induced instability problem, as filing off the nose couldn't have taken off more than a couple of grains, but it definitely had a very positive effect. Maybe the weight and length together was just an itty bitty bit too much. Remember, I have a 1 in 9", not 1 in 7".
Good luck, and let us know how things turn out.

Oh, and 4895 hits too high pressure before the velocity gets anywhere close to max, so cross that one off your list.

I am using the Sierra 69 gr. Tipped MK in a 8 twist Tikka .223 and I am very pleased with this combo.
Joe

Originally Posted By: Remington92Hey all I just picked up a new 22-250 with 1:9 twist barrel and need some recommendations for powder and loads. I’m planning to run either 69gr Sierra mk or 73gr eld Match bullets. Currently playing with h4350, h4895 and superformance cause I had it on the shelf. Thanks in advance!

I just loaded up some 73 ELDs for my 9 twist 22-250 AI, with some Rel 16. You may give it a try, it tends to give higher velocity at lower pressure than H4350, with the same charge.

Last edited:
HE IS SHOOTOING A 9" TWIST!!!

my 30" 223 AI would not shoot 75g A max, your 22/250 maybe different.

tipped 69g Sierra maybe your best bet.

I got to shoot the H4350 through the chronograph the other day. 36.2 grains with 80 sierra match king is 3270.I talked to another guy and he couldn't get enough 4350 in his to make velocity desired so he shoots varget in his. He thought it was a little fast burning but it worked good and shot bugholes so he stuck with it. I would think varget or RL15 would get you in the ballpark with 69's or 73's. I have no experience with RL16 but lots of guys are talking good about it. I bought mine used with unknown barrel manufacture and unknown gunsmith/ shooting pretty well, barrel length is 28". H4350 with 80's is all I have tried in it and shot .5" so good enough.

Back