Coyote hunting - What scope magnification do you start your stand with?

I also am puzzled at the OP's comments about shotgunning coyotes being too easy. First of all, I think any good veteran caller will tell you that killing a coyote is the easy part and second, calling any coyote into shotgun range is more challenging than calling one into rifle range.
Also, if you think you area is so pressured, why would you want to make it more challenging with a rifle and risk educating a missed coyote, when you could make sure it didn't get away with a shotgun. I guess I just don't like them getting away after the hard parts done.

shot gunning coyotes is to easy and all the rest of that garbage from a guy that only 4 months ago was asking how to set up a calling stand. perfect.
lol.gif

Play nice junior! You always open yourself up for stuff. Nobody means anything nasty here, so take a deep breath and think about it. We're all here for shared info. Some welcomed some not so much.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76I also am puzzled at the OP's comments about shotgunning coyotes being too easy. First of all, I think any good veteran caller will tell you that killing a coyote is the easy part and second, calling any coyote into shotgun range is more challenging than calling one into rifle range.
Also, if you think you area is so pressured, why would you want to make it more challenging with a rifle and risk educating a missed coyote, when you could make sure it didn't get away with a shotgun. I guess I just don't like them getting away after the hard parts done.

On a personal note, I find it a little harder around AZ to get into open enough areas to fully utilize my rifle. If I find areas that are that open, a lot of the times the coyotes are going to hang up at the edges and not venture out into the open. But a lot of the times, if I get down and dirty with them, in the brush, they are more brazen. But in that area a shotgun is preferable. I do not know if I would agree with the statement that it's "too easy" with a shotgun. Different, yes. But "easy?" Not really.

Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. I understand guys not wanting to carry two guns. I don't. If I am getting into thicker areas with my rifle, I either have to set up my stands differently or I may go to something like a dot sight mounted on a 45 deg mount for those up close and personal moments with the rifle. Or I run the shotgun and sometimes have to watch them drift by outside of range.

No stand or set up or kit is going to be perfect. You do the best with what you have. Still gotta practice.

I hunt like Snowman.

I find that a combination gun either 2 shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel or u/o shotgun/rifle works well for me, One weapon and instant choice of shotgun or rifle at my finger tip.

I kill enough coyotes that I'm going to give archery a shot on called coyotes this coming season.

Last edited:
Tough crowd.

But..yeah, that's his choice and even though I disagree ,gotta respect it.

A shotgun is fun for me and just a tool to extract coyotes fox and cats from tight country.

We all have our hangups with predator hunting... I don't care for a pack of dogs chasing down and killing coyotes but some enjoy that. I also don't care for calling contests because I think it's a bad image for us...but some enjoy it...and that's all good with me.

Self limitation and discipline are good things sometimes.
Mark

Sensitive posters that ask questions and then cant handle the answer should not be calling coyotes in too close. Advice for you crank your scope way up and shoot that coyote quickly, before it gets close.

I kill more coyotes, in less stands than he does, and gettting them in shotgun range is a beeotch. I feel like I suck at this, but feel much better about myself after reading his posts.
tt2.gif

3-4 power that is what I have shot 99% of my coyotes on in the last 43 years. I'm good to 250 yds on the low power. If you have multiples coming in it is a lot easier to shoot that runner if he won't stop, on a lower power, for me anyway. If they're farther than that I have had no problem raising the power an not being detected.

Lower power especially work great for the ones that get in under 75 yards before you see them in early season before the beans are cut and the corn picked.

The rifles I use the most have 3x9 or 2.5x10 or 1.75x6 on them. I usually leave them all on 3 (lowest setting on the one) so there is some continuity in the field of view. The exception being the 1.75x6 if I'm walking in it's on the lowest setting. I hunted everything with a fixed 4 power on a 270 for 30 years before I bought other rifles, never seemed to have a problem with close in shots or those out to 300 yards.

Back